Recruitment strategy ??

Just when I was down .. it got worse 

Our assistant manager advertising for 'senior pros who are free agents' on LinkedIn.. really ??!

Is this the extent of Ross and Fowlers strategy and contact list ? 

I despair .. this kind of thing I would expect from a boys club team .. not us

And that's not even mentioning that we are supplementing a team of poor senior pros with potentially more !! .. what's going on ? :0(

IMG_6167.JPG

At least he's looking ?? Seriously ??

surely a manager should lay out some sort of strategy for the club moving forward when he gets interviewed by the board  ? ... that can't be 'I'll stick an advert out and see what happens' this isn't a request for gig tickets or selling a sofa .. this is about our management team hopefully having some sort of network already to know who IS available in the positions they identified BEFORE they started ? Not some amateur hour advert on some business network site .. I find this totally depressing 

11 minutes ago, El Gingero said:

I posted this on a separate topic earlier. I'm flabbergasted by this. Totally and utterly laughable.

Why not stick an advert in the Evening Times.

Sorry  ..I missed that , apologies 

I agree, I think this is amateur hour from Fowler and highlights that he and Ross are scraping the barrel in terms of contacts and a 'network' .. it's just poor form and not what any professional club should be doing to get players in 

Don't see a problem here? I'm sure they are using the traditional scouting methods etc and putting it on a social network for business and professionals is just a sign of the times in this digital world.

I honestly don't care how we get the right players, as long as we get them.

Linked in is used by some of the worlds biggest company's and highest paid executives to recruit staff, why should it be beneath St Mirren. Our club cannot afford to have a global scouting network so why not use this platform to spread the net far and wide and find potential talent. It's not like the club will offer contracts to people on the basis of their linkedin profile alone.

I would go as far as to say this is innovative of Jack n James but it isn't as I am sure that football managers, coaches and scouts the world over already use it.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions but STGBuddy and El Gingero you are both talking nonsense.

At least he's looking ?? Seriously ??

surely a manager should lay out some sort of strategy for the club moving forward when he gets interviewed by the board  ? ... that can't be 'I'll stick an advert out and see what happens' this isn't a request for gig tickets or selling a sofa .. this is about our management team hopefully having some sort of network already to know who IS available in the positions they identified BEFORE they started ? Not some amateur hour advert on some business network site .. I find this totally depressing 

Yeah. How you know they're not doing both?

I was very critical of the appointments of Ross and Fowler and have been of the performance of them in their six weeks in charge so far.

Don't see an issue here though.

First thing I noticed was how quickly agents were onto it. They'll have seen the desperation. I can't see this playing out well with the squad either.

It reminds me me of a story Ally Dawson told me about when he was managing Ayr. He was short of pace in his side and his wife suggested he get down to Seafield and find some sprinters. He got two......then quickly realised why these guys were runners and not footballers.

I don't have a problem with turning over stones but I'd have thought checking out junior and amateur league football might be the place to try first. I guess James believes, like others, that if you weren't good enough at 11 you aren't going to be good enough by 18. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, STGBuddy said:

Just when I was down .. it got worse 

Our assistant manager advertising for 'senior pros who are free agents' on LinkedIn.. really ??!

Is this the extent of Ross and Fowlers strategy and contact list ? 

I despair .. this kind of thing I would expect from a boys club team .. not us

And that's not even mentioning that we are supplementing a team of poor senior pros with potentially more !! .. what's going on ? :0(

IMG_6167.JPG

You are making a fuss about nothing.  Jack Ross may be able to know players in the lower league having been there. We are a club not rolling in cash so why not use social media to get the word out there across the UK.  This is 2016 not 1972. 

6 hours ago, Buddy Marvellous said:

IMG_1479947324.350382.jpg

Oh look there's FC Barcalona using Linkin, how amateur are they!!!!

Yeah I'm sure Luis Enrique is on there asking around to see if anyone has spotted a new Messi ...... I'd love to see that advert if you can dig that out? 

if you think this is a professional way to go about signing players then we have very different views on it 

58 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You are making a fuss about nothing.  Jack Ross may be able to know players in the lower league having been there. We are a club not rolling in cash so why not use social media to get the word out there across the UK.  This is 2016 not 1972. 

Exactly .. it's 2016 and Managers should know the market not be putting ads out like it's gumtree 

6 hours ago, Buddy Marvellous said:

Linked in is used by some of the worlds biggest company's and highest paid executives to recruit staff, why should it be beneath St Mirren. Our club cannot afford to have a global scouting network so why not use this platform to spread the net far and wide and find potential talent. It's not like the club will offer contracts to people on the basis of their linkedin profile alone.

I would go as far as to say this is innovative of Jack n James but it isn't as I am sure that football managers, coaches and scouts the world over already use it.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions but STGBuddy and El Gingero you are both talking nonsense.

potential talent ?? This is an advert for senior UK pros who are on a free!! Surely you would expect your management team to at least have a fair idea who these folk are already ?? This isn't about finding a Bojan or a messi .. this is an advert for a UK journeyman?? 

10 minutes ago, STGBuddy said:

Exactly .. it's 2016 and Managers should know the market not be putting ads out like it's gumtree 

Sorry mate can't agree with you. If you want to employ someone you want as many applications as possible. Can't understand why your getting your pants in a twist. At least we know there will be recruitment in January time will tell if it has been successfull or not. 

8 hours ago, TopCat said:

At least he's looking to be fair.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Worst case scenario nothing comes of it...

Yeah pretty much this. No stone should be left unturned, be it in recruitment, sports psychologist or getting an exorcist in to lift a curse off the ground. Whatever we try cannot possibly make things any worse.

Great to see STGBuddy is back on the forum after mysteriously going missing when his pal didn't get the job and that he's not at all bitter about it.

Storm in a teacup.

When someone unearthed Andy Dorman and Isma Goncalves for us, did anyone care how it was done?

Thought not.

What matters is that the net has been cast. Christ, damned if you do, etc....

No doubt there will be various agents within his LinkedIn network, the message just saves time. I'd imagine St Mirren have an account for some of the player recruitment portals also, which will see them place an advert. The LinkedIn one is hopefully just part of a strategy where every option is exhausted.

Even if they only went through agents or agencies there's no guarantee that they wouldn't also use LinkedIn.

I hope I'm proved wrong and we unearth a gem.

The bottom line is we need to hit the ground running in January. We don't have the luxury of hanging about waiting and negotiating for players coming available. 

Also who would join us marooned at the bottom of the league? Certainly not a full time player at a club under contract.

This is a reality check of our current situation.

potential talent ?? This is an advert for senior UK pros who are on a free!! Surely you would expect your management team to at least have a fair idea who these folk are already ?? This isn't about finding a Bojan or a messi .. this is an advert for a UK journeyman?? 

Well you are right about one thing, this isn't about finding established world class players like Messi or Bojan, they have world wide TV networks that show off their talents.

The fact you keep going on about an ad to find a UK journeyman shows how narrow minded you are about this. This is about throwing the net wider than the UK and alerting players scouts and agents in USA, Canada, Australia and every other country in between. These are places we could find another Dorman or Goncalves.