STRIKER John Sutton

joezo21

Who thinks that we will stay up with JS as our main striker?

Hardie has left Clarkston is not good enough and Shankland has been punished for missing a pen.

Hope big Sutts can do it but I don't think any other opposition managers are shaking in their boots with big JS upfront hiself.

1 hour ago, joezo21 said:

Who thinks that we will stay up with JS as our main striker?

Hardie has left Clarkston is not good enough and Shankland has been dropped for not being able to find the net all season..

Hope big Sutts can do it but I don't think any other opposition managers are shaking in their boots with big JS upfront hiself.

Fixed it for you

1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

I had my hair cut in Clarkston just before Christmas then a lovely coffee and a sandwich in a wee traditional cafe up Busby Road.  Clarkston was good enough that day.

I grew up in Clarkston, mother still lives there. Great wee place.

On topic, Sutton up front on his own needs service as hes not known for his workrate, anyone know what Stewart Kean is up to these days?!

12 hours ago, billyg said:

Nope , but it's odds on that he still can't hit a barn door !

Had the same goal rate with Saints as Michael Higdon..... with 145 x the work rate !! :lol

Hes last known at Hurlford (wiki) so should be plenty of barn doors to practice on !!

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Sorry I'm no very articulate am I as you keep correcting or get confused with my replies.

Anyway Callum what I meant was if all the other strikers were able to hit the net a bit more then we would maybe be higher up the table but they haven't been able too.

The point being I really do not think JS will keep us up. Because unless they have a striker coming in then JS is all we have .  And nobody rates Clarkston. 

I grew up in Clarkston, mother still lives there. Great wee place.

On topic, Sutton up front on his own needs service as hes not known for his workrate, anyone know what Stewart Kean is up to these days?!

I don't know how anyone can question John Suttons work rate. The guy is working his socks off.

He is battling for every header and winning most of them. Even at the weekend he was finding himself out on the wing and putting in crosses and I've seen him a number of times sprinting to take quick corners when we are chasing games.

I think he could do with someone quicker playing alongside him which is fair enough but I wouldn't question how hard he works for our club.

I don't know how anyone can question John Suttons work rate. The guy is working his socks off.

He is battling for every header and winning most of them. Even at the weekend he was finding himself out on the wing and putting in crosses and I've seen him a number of times sprinting to take quick corners when we are chasing games.

I think he could do with someone quicker playing alongside him which is fair enough but I wouldn't question how hard he works for our club.

Totally agree.

His workrate is inspirational and he chases everything till the final whistle.

He will be a big player for us if we can get two of the midfield five taught to move closer to him and play off him.

Totally agree.
His workrate is inspitational and he chases everything till the final whistle.

He will be a big player for us if we can get two of the midfield five taught to move closer to him and play off him.

Agree also

In fact, was chatting with someone earlier in the week and we agreed he's working even harder now than he did 10 years ago in his first stint and for that he would be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Amazed someone is questioning his work rate

11 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:
11 hours ago, Hambud said:

Totally agree.

His workrate is inspirational and he chases everything till the final whistle.

I'm happy to be corrected. Haven't seen him this season so if he's now working hard then brilliant. Looks like we've got a far better striker than the one that left which is pretty exciting because he was pretty good before!!

The minute I heard Sutton was signed at the start of the season, my heart sank. Perhaps work rate and effort is enough for some but as centre forward for the lowest scoring team at the bottom of the league, sorry the guy is done. Barely won a ball last Saturday and hadn't a shot on goal. Nothing against the guy but to have to pay to watch someone like that ( he is one of many not worthy of admission price) sums up Saints at present. Definitely heading for the trap door. 

10 minutes ago, Froggie said:

The minute I heard Sutton was signed at the start of the season, my heart sank. Perhaps work rate and effort is enough for some but as centre forward for the lowest scoring team at the bottom of the league, sorry the guy is done. Barely won a ball last Saturday and hadn't a shot on goal. Nothing against the guy but to have to pay to watch someone like that ( he is one of many not worthy of admission price) sums up Saints at present. Definitely heading for the trap door. 

Ok, lets look at our managers position here, inherited a totally imbalanced beleaguered squad, what , who would you suggest we go for..... cant just say a guy is crap and thats it, I also disagree, one thing a striker needs is service and he hardly got any..................... so maybe there is the answer 

5 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Ok, lets look at our managers position here, inherited a totally imbalanced beleaguered squad, what , who would you suggest we go for..... cant just say a guy is crap and thats it, I also disagree, one thing a striker needs is service and he hardly got any..................... so maybe there is the answer 

Our young lads are impressing, but they have a fair distance to go in terms of their decision making and final ball delivery. Unfortunately, Sutton suffers for this more than anyone.

Of course he did win some balls on Saturday and he did have a shot at goal.

Totally Agree Drew

Amazingly thur our dire position and the fact that AR was actually worse than Craig as an appointment, the positive is we have unearthed talent, but as you say they will make mistakes, we have to remember Mallan is also still very young, that's why I do believe that Storrie is a good addition and my well make that killer pass to JS.

I am prepared for worse here a long as we can see that we are going in a direction we havent gone for decades.

Remember after owning the 1999-2000 season our BOD decided not to give any funds to keep us up, least now we have assets coming thru......

We cant buy our way out this issue, we need players who have points to prove. Storrie being one.... personally I am disappointed Shankland has gone backwards this year, but for his career he needs games, I am sure JR will be working on that to. We need creativity in Mid and confidence up front

9 goals this season isn't a terrible return for a supposed over the hill striker playing for the worst team in the league getting next to hee-haw service.

Positivity is the answer!(Along with winning every game between now and the end of the season....)

Big Sutts has impressed me with his work rate and desire this year. Always knew he knew where the pokey was and given service he will do this for us with aplomb. However the aforementioned attributes have taken me (pleasantly) by surprise. Sutts is not the problem, in fact we are very lucky to have him in the championship and I believe he could do a job for any team at this level. I agree he could do with a foil in the shape of a younger, nippy partner, maybe he will get one. What we absolutely need to do though is stop gifting shambolic goals away left, right and centre. I've lost count of the clusterf**ks I have witnessed this season that have resulted in goal concessions and unfortunately it is a recurring theme. I am quietly confident that the 2 Kyle's backed up by Storie and Morgan could be quite a midfield at this level. For me McKenzie needs a good partner, Webster can do a job and Baird has potential but is rash quite often. Jury out on keeper although he seems improved under Ross and big Naisy is looking himself again. I don't know what to make of Irvine, he tries his heart out, not scared to get stuck in, but is there ability? Not convinced. So in my opinion an improved partner for McKenzie, an improvement at left back and a terrier type foil for Sutts could see us ok..................................

7 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Totally Agree Drew

Amazingly thur our dire position and the fact that AR was actually worse than Craig as an appointment, the positive is we have unearthed talent, but as you say they will make mistakes, we have to remember Mallan is also still very young, that's why I do believe that Storrie is a good addition and my well make that killer pass to JS.

I am prepared for worse here a long as we can see that we are going in a direction we havent gone for decades.

Remember after owning the 1999-2000 season our BOD decided not to give any funds to keep us up, least now we have assets coming thru......

We cant buy our way out this issue, we need players who have points to prove. Storrie being one.... personally I am disappointed Shankland has gone backwards this year, but for his career he needs games, I am sure JR will be working on that to. We need creativity in Mid and confidence up front

Thinking back to when Sutton was at his most effective was probably when Lappin was firing in crosses for him to get on the end of. It was no coincidence that John's goals dried up when Simon had a spell out with injury.

9 goals this season isn't a terrible return for a supposed over the hill striker playing for the worst team in the league getting next to hee-haw service.
Positivity is the answer!(Along with winning every game between now and the end of the season....)

And he's spent a good portion of the season on the bench!

I do agree with the point we need another striker. Someone to take the goal scoring burden off Sutton and contribute with goals from the bench and act as back up incase he gets injured. As we've seen, the other two strikers in the squad aren't up to it.