Stubbs can go now

1 hour ago, W6Saint said:

Captain Halfwit trying to make a joke out of mental health again, classy... but not unexpected!

Complain about someone making mental health jokes? Check.

Respond by calling him Captain Halfwit? Check.

You know, I am beginning to think Wendy might be right about you.

Are you posting from a room where all the walls are white, the view is small, high up and obscured by thick metal bars and people randomly scream throughout the night for no obvious reason?

17 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Good to see the board keeping the purse strings tight. The new manager will need it for the January window as long as we are not on the sea bed by that time. 

If you really think the answer is for the board not to support the manager bring in any more players and then run with the squad we have as it stands you're bonkers IoBS. They have to fully support the manager or bullet him, there is no in-between.

To ask a new manager to come in eight weeks or so and limp through until the January window with what we have now will mean almost certain relegation. For all that it worked two seasons ago, by making all the changes we did in that window, we were one of the bigger spenders in our division, this certainly won't be the case this season.

Edited by WeeBud

7 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

If you really think the answer is for the board not to support the manager bring in any more players and then run with the with the squad we have as it stands you're bonkers IoBS. They have to fully support the manager or bullet him, there is no in-between.

To ask a new manager to come in eight weeks or so and limp through until the January window with what we have now will mean almost certain relegation. For all that it worked two seasons ago, by making all the changes we did in that window, we were one of the bigger spenders in our division, this certainly won't be the case this season.

TBF it's not his idea, he's just repeating what Billy has said, you do know IOBS don't you? :wink:

6 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

If you really think the answer is for the board not to support the manager bring in any more players and then run with the with the squad we have as it stands you're bonkers IoBS. They have to fully support the manager or bullet him, there is no in-between.

I think , at least , that the BOD will have the final say on anyone coming in. Not one of the guys silly baws has brought in , thus far , is good enough to be a guaranteed  starter  , which is a disgrace !

5 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

and we were able to sell Kyle McAllister and Jason Naismith in that window as well and had a number of loanees on 6 month deals where we were able to send them back to their parent club in that window. Even after those sales we were still left with some talent in the team Stevie Mallan, Kyle Magennis, Lewis Morgan. I can't see us being able to raise money for January signings when half our starting XI is full of loanees and do we really want to punt our own decent players like Kyle Magennis or Stephen McGinn?

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

TBF it's not his idea, he's just repeating what Billy has said, you do know IOBS don't you? :wink:

He's allowed to agree with anything , or anyone , without you calling him out for it ! It's a common trait of yours to join forces and hunt in packs !

Stubbs has just said on STV in an interview about missing out on signing Kenny Miller that the difference between us winning against Livingston and losing was "down to two set pieces" :unsure::unsure::unsure::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, that and Livingston hitting the post and having shots on target compared to us registering no shots on target in 90 minutes against one of our nearest likely rivals in the league!

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

59 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Complain about someone making mental health jokes? Check.

Respond by calling him Captain Halfwit? Check.

You know, I am beginning to think Wendy might be right about you.

Are you posting from a room where all the walls are white, the view is small, high up and obscured by thick metal bars and people randomly scream throughout the night for no obvious reason?

You seem to be very detailed in your description of that room, as if you can visualize it, almost as if you were there right now...

Still, allowing you the internet is to be applauded, all very 2018.

9 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

and we were able to sell Kyle McAllister and Jason Naismith in that window as well and had a number of loanees on 6 month deals where we were able to send them back to their parent club in that window. Even after those sales we were still left with some talent in the team Stevie Mallan, Kyle Magennis, Lewis Morgan. I can't see us being able to raise money for January signings when half our starting XI is full of loanees and do we really want to punt our own decent players like Kyle Magennis or Stephen McGinn?

Might buy some time for the manager and club to bring together targets for longer term contracts. 

14 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

If you really think the answer is for the board not to support the manager bring in any more players and then run with the squad we have as it stands you're bonkers IoBS. They have to fully support the manager or bullet him, there is no in-between.

Keeping the purse strings tight because Stubbs has wasted a lot of money already . Our biggest transfer fee in decade and he can't get near the team. It's time for Stubbs to swim with very little more. Our next signing if true is a central midfielder. Seriously?  Have laid my cards on the table he will be gone by the Hibs game if not before. This is not about Alan Stubbs who I'm sure is a nice bloke. This is about St Mirren Football Club. 

Just now, St.Ricky said:

Might buy some time for the manager and club to bring together targets for longer term contracts. 

Who is going to sign a PCA in January for us based on looking like relegation candidates - would a player be signing up to play in the premiership on premiership wages or the championship on a lower wage?

Just now, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Who is going to sign a PCA in January for us based on looking like relegation candidates - would a player be signing up to play in the premiership on premiership wages or the championship on a lower wage?

I don't know about you Dibbles but I am still looking 3 years ahead.  I don't think anybody would disagree that we have had a less than satisfactory close season. Not at all what had been anticipated.  We can't turn the clock back.  We are where we are and need to keep looking forward.  However,  the current transfer window is still open.  Much can still happen. 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Keeping the purse strings tight because Stubbs has wasted a lot of money already . Our biggest transfer fee in decade and he can't get near the team. It's time for Stubbs to swim with very little more. Our next signing if true is a central midfielder. Seriously?  Have laid my cards on the table he will be gone by the Hibs game if not before. This is not about Alan Stubbs who I'm sure is a nice bloke. This is about St Mirren Football Club. 

IoBS, if you're genuine about your last two sentences (I'm sure you are) then the rest of your post is just hyperbole. As a club we either have to dispatch with the manager now or back him to build a squad....there will not be enough in the coffers for a rescue mission, even if we don't spend it now.

Is your plan really to starve the squad of any more funds and then give the manager another four games, bag him and ask someone to come in and continue with a squad that is already lacking up until the January window. Okay, lets run with that, we're now in January and adrift at the bottom of the league …. what do we do now and with what?

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

I don't know about you Dibbles but I am still looking 3 years ahead.  I don't think anybody would disagree that we have had a less than satisfactory close season. Not at all what had been anticipated.  We can't turn the clock back.  We are where we are and need to keep looking forward.  However,  the current transfer window is still open.  Much can still happen. 

All well and good Ricky but we're not offering players three year deals and can only, from a squad point of view, look in shorter terms.

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

We had a great close season according to all your threads on here my man - record ticket sales etc etc

There are two days left in the window after today.

1 minute ago, WeeBud said:

IoBS, if you're genuine about your last two sentences (I'm sure you are) then the rest of your post is just hyperbole. As a club we either have to dispatch with the manager now or back him to build a squad....there will not be enough in the coffers for a rescue mission, even if we don't spend it now.

Is your plan really to starve the squad of any more funds and then give the manager another four games, bag him and ask someone to come in and continue with a squad that is already lacking up until the January window. Okay, lets run with that, we're now in January and adrift at the bottom of the league …. what do we do now and with what?

St Mirren football club would probably go down..............................who to blame then? 

1 minute ago, WeeBud said:

If Stubbs , or the BOD , can find 5 players who  are automatic first choices then I'd be happy if we went with that , any more boys , or unknown loanees is a non-starter for me !

1 minute ago, billyg said:

If Stubbs , or the BOD , can find 5 players who  are automatic first choices then I'd be happy if we went with that , any more boys , or unknown loanees is a non-starter for me !

I don't disagree but if we don't back him and expect him to fail then failure is almost assured.

There is no point in running for another four games and then bagging the manager without supporting him, that's just crazy-talk!!

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

We had a great close season according to all your threads on here my man - record ticket sales etc etc

There are two days left in the window after today.

We have sold a record number of season tickets.  Very happy about that. 

We had lots of coverage in social media,  newspapers and TV... Great

I've covered the challenges elsewhere on the forum. 

It's not a surprise that this season is going to test everyone involved with the club. 

Embrace the challenge - don't fear it. 

7 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

All well and good Ricky but we're not offering players three year deals and can only, from a squad point of view, look in shorter terms.

I get your argument WeeBud.  All I am suggesting is that we will gradually move into signing players on longer contracts as we move through the next two transfer windows. Right now there is a big element of firefighting.  Can't argue with you on that.