Jay Henderson

Don't get hung up on development fees. We'll only get what someone is willing to pay. No-one was willing to pay the full fee for the bargain that was John McGinn. We can ask for a fee but what we get is another matter. Jay is 21 and an age where he should be playing first team football. I can see Championship teams interested but only willing to pay a nominal fee, if that. Else he stays for another year and walks away for free.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Don't get hung up on development fees. We'll only get what someone is willing to pay. No-one was willing to pay the full fee for the bargain that was John McGinn. We can ask for a fee but what we get is another matter. Jay is 21 and an age where he should be playing first team football. I can see Championship teams interested but only willing to pay a nominal fee, if that. Else he stays for another year and walks away for free.

Happily for us that's not how it works.

There are a few ways that this can play out.

A club will pay the development fee or a fee that the club deems suitable. Which, with the club's finances being as they are, won't be a cut-price sum.

A club can choose not to pay the development fee or a fee that the club deems suitable, and it goes to tribunal, where the training development fees criteria will be applied along with factors like first team appearances and U-21 appearances etc.

No-one is interested enough to stump up the development fee or take it to a tribunal and he re-signs. We keep him for a year, then the same scenario arises as the training development fee covers players up to the age of 23. Henderson is 21.

He signs for somewhere out with UEFA jurisdiction e.g. USA and we don't get a development fee.

Edited by FTOF

On 3/26/2023 at 12:26 PM, Albanian Buddy said:

A manager’s gamble. 

Olusanya could have been outstanding for us and we’d have forgotten all about those he let go. He may turn out better next season - who knows for sure.

I don’t think that SR has given enough opportunity for our academy graduates over some of the signings he has made. 

Any manager is always going favour playing his signings over a previous manager. 

Yerah, it could have turned out to be different, it just didn't.

An experienced manager who seemingly knew Olusanya's capabilities and attitudes slid a decent amount of our club's cash across the table to lure this guy to the club.  Some of Robinson's signings have been pretty good and some have been terrible.

As for the last bit, that seems to have some truth, but very little logic behind it.

I’d imagine that someone could offer a % of any future transfer fee for Henderson instead of a development fee.

As 2 year contracts are the thing, we’d need to hope that Henderson is such a huge success next season that someone is willing to pay a big fee for him next summer

Seems unlikely 

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Yes. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Some on here saying "aw how could we dae that to the poor wee laddie". Feckum I say. If he knocked back our contract offer he can hing as he graws.

The question would be whether we can block him or not if it wasn't already in the loan agreement? Of maybe the agreement expires at the end of the league season? 

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agreed. Some on here saying "aw how could we dae that to the poor wee laddie". Feckum I say. If he knocked back our contract offer he can hing as he graws.

The question would be whether we can block him or not if it wasn't already in the loan agreement? Of maybe the agreement expires at the end of the league season? 

without being too emotional, that is just as mean as f**k and ultmately will show us as being at best inconsiderate and at worst vindictive.  If we don't want him, and that would be reflected in the contract offer, then what do we gain from blocking him-if that is even possible?

If he is still under contract then he will still be available for all matches for Thistle unless they involve us

15 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

If we finish 5th then should we block Henderson playing in the cup final?

What if Henderson was the difference that won them the cup and stopped us qualifying for Europe…..

Q1, No

Q2, that would just be a consequence of our decision making at the time we loaned him and one we would just have to live with.  A decent performance against Killie would have been more influential on our aspirations than blocking a player we were happy to let go.

Anyway, do you think that ICT will be allowed to spoil your beloved Celtic's last game with Angie in charge?

3 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

without being too emotional, that is just as mean as f**k and ultmately will show us as being at best inconsiderate and at worst vindictive.  If we don't want him, and that would be reflected in the contract offer, then what do we gain from blocking him-if that is even possible?

If he is still under contract then he will still be available for all matches for Thistle unless they involve us

caveat we don’t know if the Thistle rumour is true, but let’s assume it is. Do you think they’ll have offered him more than us? I doubt it. 

5 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Sorry, also meant to say re the bolded bit above…..

Boo Hoo. Sentimental claptrap.

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

caveat we don’t know if the Thistle rumour is true, but let’s assume it is. Do you think they’ll have offered him more than us? I doubt it. 

It's been speculated that our offer could be one that he would be a fool to accept and the only reason for making it would be to protect a possible development fee in the future, so yes.  An ambitious Thistle may well be offering more than a derisory sum intended to protect a fee for a player we possibly don't want

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sorry, also meant to say re the bolded bit above…..

Boo Hoo. Sentimental claptrap.

You don't think our reputation matters?  That's up to you but thankfully it is in the hands of football professionals who know how the game works.  If Jay wins the cup for ICT (I cant believe that people are treating that as a possibility purely as a premise for tough-guy posturing and acting like a c**t) then we will possibly be looking at a bigger chance of a fee, utlimately?

This is getting a bit like Harry Enfield's self-righteous brothers, "Oi 'enderson, I admire your silky skills on the field, but if you woz to screw up our euro conference chances by virtue of one of the most unlikely cup-final results in history then I would say NO!  Get back to Payzlee and watch it on Viaplay like the rest of us.

21 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

You don't think our reputation matters?  That's up to you but thankfully it is in the hands of football professionals who know how the game works.  If Jay wins the cup for ICT (I cant believe that people are treating that as a possibility purely as a premise for tough-guy posturing and acting like a c**t) then we will possibly be looking at a bigger chance of a fee, utlimately?

This is getting a bit like Harry Enfield's self-righteous brothers, "Oi 'enderson, I admire your silky skills on the field, but if you woz to screw up our euro conference chances by virtue of one of the most unlikely cup-final results in history then I would say NO!  Get back to Payzlee and watch it on Viaplay like the rest of us.

In fairness that made me chuckle 🤣

• 1 month later...

Once again we let a very talented player who we nurtured go for peanuts. I really believe Ross County have won the proverbial watch here. They will get all the profits from our coaching.

It's a McGinn in the making all over again. Minus the spearing of course.

5 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Once again we let a very talented player who we nurtured go for peanuts. I really believe Ross County have won the proverbial watch here. They will get all the profits from our coaching.

I'd suggest using McGinn, who has reached a more than decent level, both for club and country, as an example is pushing it a bit.

The likelihood is he'll not do much at a club that is unlikely to be involved at any serious level in any competitions and, as such, will slip into oblivion.

Either of these scenarios are possible, the latter, IMO, the most likely. 

19 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

He wasn't demonstrating anywhere near enough to be a regular starter and was at best a squad player for us ...

He was offered a contract by the club - however he elected to move ( as is his prerogative)  and  play for a team which isn't as good as the one he left and therefore giving himself more opportunity to establish himself

No quibble with that and If County want to take our cast offs then I happy for them to continue to do so 

35 minutes ago, CraigyBoy said:

He wasn't demonstrating anywhere near enough to be a regular starter and was at best a squad player for us ...

He was offered a contract by the club - however he elected to move ( as is his prerogative)  and  play for a team which isn't as good as the one he left and therefore giving himself more opportunity to establish himself

No quibble with that and If County want to take our cast offs then I happy for them to continue to do so 

He wasn't showing enough because Robinson used him as a square peg in a round hole. I think the offer was simply to make sure we got something when we forced the lad out.