UK government guidance on how to follow what was announced by Johnson last night will be published on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, this morning London tube had rush hour numbers and motorways leading in London were slow and tailed back.

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Thanks for that.

As I thought, both got caught out just like virtually every other country. I really think there's limited mileage in overly criticising any government for being ill prepared in this sense.

If something truly contagious hits a population, all planning and preparation goes out the window overnight.

I was reading today that a massive stockpile of safety goggles purchased by the last Labour government turned out to fail safety tests and was rendered useless.

There are people out there not doing their jobs properly and blaming governments IMO gives these lazy, useless people an easy get-out.

Hmm, I think you'll find that the Labour Party will hang this round the governments head at next GE in the same way Tory party hung worldwide financial crash started in USA around Labour.

If you throw enough mud then some will stick no matter what the governments culpability is.

What goes around comes around. Something Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer will be keeping up their sleeve too. 

13 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Hmm, I think you'll find that the Labour Party will hang this round the governments head at next GE in the same way Tory party hung worldwide financial crash started in USA around Labour.

If you throw enough mud then some will stick no matter what the governments culpability is.

What goes around comes around. Something Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer will be keeping up their sleeve too. 

I think the Tories are going to be in power for many, many years to come.

This will die down and after months and months of nothing but covid in the news, people will be sick and tired of it.

Then it will be on to Brexit and covid will be forgotten about.

If Labour DO get in, they'll be blamed for any economic problems and they'll be back out for another generation.

Starmer has a difficult job here.

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

This will die down and after months and months of nothing but covid in the news, people will be sick and tired of it.

If Labour DO get in, they'll be blamed for any economic problems and they'll be back out for another generation.

I disagree I think the next GE will be very close.

I don't underestimate Johnston at all but Starmer has the Tories worried already.

Johnston better be up on the detail or Starmer will cremate him.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Not sure it's Salmond supporters but there's a fair amount of independence supporters who I assume are snp voters complaining that snp weren't doing enough to move towards another referendum or independence.

That's their opinion, FTOF opinion is that they were too focused on it.

Still no actual evidence that they focused on it at the expense of not planning for coronavirus though.

https://www.audit-scotland.gov.uk/uploads/docs/report/2019/nr_191024_nhs_overview.pdf

Have a look at this relating to our under performing NHS. There are elements of it that are linked to insufficient planning affecting overall patient health. I happen to believe that the government should be spending more time sorting out the ills of the NHS, than rattling on about Indy 2.

Only the most obstinate individual would deny that it is possible that the insufficient level of planning for the current pandemic, given that it is a health related issue, could have been down to time being spent on IMO, less important Independence matters.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I initially thought that after the last GE but the current pandemic may be the defining event of this century and no-one knows how we will think in the aftermath - I personally hope for a Green/Red direction when we exit the Covid tunnel.

On the "have the SNP handled the pandemic well?" question - I'd say initially no but I think the convergence of the three smaller regions of the UK at the weekend put the brakes on BJs plans to relax the lockdown which has to be a good outcome. Certainly NS seems to be more "on top of her brief" :oohlala  than the parade of Tory Ministers down south!

Edited by Bud the Baker

4 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

UK government guidance on how to follow what was announced by Johnson last night will be published on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, this morning London tube had rush hour numbers and motorways leading in London were slow and tailed back.

No it didn't. :lol:

https://www.audit-scotland.gov.uk/uploads/docs/report/2019/nr_191024_nhs_overview.pdf
Have a look at this relating to our under performing NHS. There are elements of it that are linked to insufficient planning affecting overall patient health. I happen to believe that the government should be spending more time sorting out the ills of the NHS, than rattling on about Indy 2.
Only the most obstinate individual would deny that it is possible that the insufficient level of planning for the current pandemic, given that it is a health related issue, could have been down to time being spent on IMO, less important Independence matters.

IMO you are clutching at straws unless you can show that health secretary, first minister or wider government were neglecting their contingency planning duties for the pandemic by focusing on independence.

NHS performance prior to this is a completely unrelated issue.

8 hours ago, antrin said:

That's interesting - and good.

They now seem to understand where it came from - it seemed a random, inexplicable happening for it to 'suddenly' arrive in that location on Skye.

The virus travelled round the world,why would it miss out Skye?

5 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I initially thought that after the last GE but the current pandemic may be the defining event of this century and no-one knows how we will think in the aftermath - I personally hope for a Green/Red direction when we exit the Covid tunnel.

On the "have the SNP handled the pandemic well?" question - I'd say initially no but I think the convergence of the three smaller regions of the UK at the weekend put the brakes on BJs plans to relax the lockdown which has to be a good outcome. Certainly NS seems to be more "on top of her brief" :oohlala  than the parade of Tory Ministers down south!

All the hard decisions are ahead for Sturgeon. Very difficult to come out of lockdown. Lets see where Boris is when all the noise has gone away.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:24 AM, antrin said:

Not to me.

im bald.  :)

This lockdown must be a nightmare for you Antrin.

How you must miss going to Spain in a chocolate aeroplane. 😃

I can only hope that my susceptibility to Covid will be based on the mental age of my humour and not by my years on the planet. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52617895

3 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

IMO you are clutching at straws unless you can show that health secretary, first minister or wider government were neglecting their contingency planning duties for the pandemic by focusing on independence.

NHS performance prior to this is a completely unrelated issue.

No it isn't. :)