Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS
This years jab would have been agreed before the last quarter of last year.
Bit later than that as they base a lot of it on the southern hemisphere flu season.
Even if it was last quarter, they would need to review now?

Just received an e-mail from Ryanair informing me that my refund request has been processed and that the money should be back in my account in 5-7 days, depending on how quickly my own bank process it.

One less thing to complain about. :) 

Was worth the half hour wait to get through. That was for a flight due to go out on the 3rd of April.

13 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Just received an e-mail from Ryanair informing me that my refund request has been processed and that the money should be back in my account in 5-7 days, depending on how quickly my own bank process it.

One less thing to complain about. :) 

Was worth the half hour wait to get through. That was for a flight due to go out on the 3rd of April.

Well done. It always amazes me (not) that big organisations have fantastically efficient ways of taking your money but are dreadfully inefficient in handing it back. An accident... I don't think so. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Good to see a lot of the smaller shops in town getting ready to reopen today. Hopefully a week and they will have the nod.

They will, and the charade of social distancing will go on. 

Hey, I'm all for it, as soon as it's official I'm back on circulation as quick as possible. 

You can get your bottom dollar plenty in Scotland will be going down the route of England of the "bubble" idea and visiting as many people as they see fit. 

Just wonder when the "games" will end. 

Hey, I'm all for it, as soon as it's official I'm back on circulation as quick as possible. 
You can get your bottom dollar plenty in Scotland will be going down the route of England of the "bubble" idea and visiting as many people as they see fit. 
SD will make no difference to these sort of shops in our main street 2m or 1m irrelevant as they are small shops that never really get busy. It's your supermarkets and big department type stores it will effect more. It's just an inconvenience now more than anything else. It will be reduced to 1m soon enough.

23 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
35 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

SD will make no difference to these sort of shops in our main street 2m or 1m irrelevant as they are small shops that never really get busy. It's your supermarkets and big department type stores it will effect more. It's just an inconvenience now more than anything else. It will be reduced to 1m soon enough.

There's a few small shops up here, if there's 5-8 people in them they are busy, that it will make a difference as there's no way they can remain viable if they strictly keep the current 2m rule.

That WILL change, IMO. 

SD of 2 metres is for ie, whilst queuing and conversing but is negligible when and during transient passing. Seen enough Risk assessments and safe systems of work quoting such instances. [emoji37]

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

There's a few small shops up here, if there's 5-8 people in them they are busy, that it will make a difference as there's no way they can remain viable if they strictly keep the current 2m rule.

That WILL change, IMO. 

TBH the 2m distance won't really affect most small shops IMO.

It's places like food outlets, chemists and bookies that it will affect most. I would include shops in tourist areas too, but there aren't going to be any tourists for a while.

As long as Supermarkets etc. have queuing outside, people are more likely to go to smaller shops, which could help offset some of their losses.

The fishmonger I go to in Johnstone has been absolutely raking it in, because in addition to its normal customers, it's picked up customers that won't go to Morrisons because of the queues. Bizarrely the queues outside his shop have involved a 20 minute wait at times. The owner keeps telling me that he's never made so much money. Although he's working from five in the morning to six at night.

It might be different in rural areas, but in Paisley you'll  be lucky to get three or four people at a time in a shop like Ivad (card/gift shop) or the pet shop that I go to. Although, again, the pet shop that I to go to (in normal times) has been incredibly busy doing deliveries and has done really well financially too.

The centre of Glasgow will certainly be affected. With the likes of clothes shops and shops that always seem busy like Lush, being badly hit.

The 2m rule will change sooner rather than later if the figures keep following the current trend and the need to boost the economy intensifies.

Edited by FTOF

8 hours ago, FTOF said:

It's places like food outlets, chemists and bookies that it will affect most. I would include shops in tourist areas too, but there aren't going to be any tourists for a while.

As long as Supermarkets etc. have queuing outside, people are more likely to go to smaller shops, which could help offset some of their losses.

The fishmonger I go to in Johnstone has been absolutely raking it in, because in addition to its normal customers, it's picked up customers that won't go to Morrisons because of the queues. Bizarrely the queues outside his shop have involved a 20 minute wait at times. The owner keeps telling me that he's never made so much money. Although he's working from five in the morning to six at night.

It might be different in rural areas, but in Paisley you'll  be lucky to get three or four people at a time in a shop like Ivad (card/gift shop) or the pet shop that I go to. Although, again, the pet shop that I to go to (in normal times) has been incredibly busy doing deliveries and has done really well financially too.

The centre of Glasgow will certainly be affected. With the likes of clothes shops and shops that always seem busy like Lush, being badly hit.

The 2m rule will change sooner rather than later if the figures keep following the current trend and the need to boost the economy intensifies.

This, companies that are actually making MORE in the current crises, has crossed my mind and something that's barely mentioned, if at all.

The obvious ones will have been supermarkets, especially when Oaky was at the head of pillaging and hoarding.

B&Q, and other similar business's, also must be making a fortune, as I've never been such a regular visitor. 

Online companies, who will have little change to operating, will also be doing ok.

Not all gloom and doom. 

Absolutely ditto the fishmongers, fruit n veg shop and butchers down here. Bought some lovely fresh herring yesterday and Ayrshire tatties. My own early tatties should be ready any day.

Starting my 14th week working from home on Monday ,must confess it’s been a long haul. Had a Teams meeting Q and A with Senior Managers and all the Office Staff we have atWesthill. Looks like we will be going back start of September but there will be more people still working from home on a more regular basis. Not sure how it will affect me, a couple of days a week in the Office would be good but accommodations will become an issue. I have a rented flat and I’m not paying for that for two days a week usage. I could go down Monday stay one night B and B then go home end of Tuesday 😉

I do think with more folk working from home then the accommodation market, especially in Aberdeen ,where it is artificially high in a lot of cases, coupled with reduced numbers in many companies, will force a drop in their rates.

I wonder how charity shops will manage to stay viable? Do you want to buy something someone else has worn or handled prior to the lockdown. It could spell the end for them if they can’t convince customers that their merchandise is safe. 
The plan is to isolate new stock for 72 hrs before being put out for sale. No real issue if that is followed and no different to returns on "new" goods. It's the public's attitude that will be the biggest barrier, the "fear" needs to be conquered or high streets are finished totally.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
2 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:
I wonder how charity shops will manage to stay viable? Do you want to buy something someone else has worn or handled prior to the lockdown. It could spell the end for them if they can’t convince customers that their merchandise is safe. 

The plan is to isolate new stock for 72 hrs before being put out for sale. No real issue if that is followed and no different to returns on "new" goods. It's the public's attitude that will be the biggest barrier, the "fear" needs to be conquered or high streets are finished totally.

TBH we've all been buying food etc. from supermarkets which have been handled by numerous individuals. Much of it contained in plastic and metal on which the virus is supposed to remain viable for a few days.

Have we all been wiping the containers down after purchase? 

I don't really see items in charity shops as being that different.

3 hours ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Starting my 14th week working from home on Monday ,must confess it’s been a long haul. Had a Teams meeting Q and A with Senior Managers and all the Office Staff we have atWesthill. Looks like we will be going back start of September but there will be more people still working from home on a more regular basis. Not sure how it will affect me, a couple of days a week in the Office would be good but accommodations will become an issue. I have a rented flat and I’m not paying for that for two days a week usage. I could go down Monday stay one night B and B then go home end of Tuesday 😉

I do think with more folk working from home then the accommodation market, especially in Aberdeen ,where it is artificially high in a lot of cases, coupled with reduced numbers in many companies, will force a drop in their rates.

One of the businesses I have an interest in rents a couple of retail properties. These are normally paid quarterly in advance but are now paid monthly. Doesn't sound like much but it led to a member of staff being furloughed. Other business interests say all of the staff furloughed and a Gov backed loan. Two of the social enterprises I helped found in late 2019 and early 2020 haven't been able to open as all funding has gone to existing organisations. Means that the directors pay the costs. Not cheap. Means thar the Chief Officer can't be paid or furloughed. Has it stopped us.. No.. Not yet. We have donated the use of our substantial premises to a Food Bank and recruited 24 volunteers to help. 

Guest TPAFKATS
From the figures issued yesterday  27 new cases  of the virus were identified  and 22 of those were in care homes.
So in the general public it is slowly fading out ,long may this continue. 
Dormant as opposed to fading out?