The Club Buy Out - 10000 Hours

More fuel to the debate. You'd think from reading that, all anyone needs to do is to knock the door of the funding agencies and say "We're becoming a Community Interest Company, gie's the money." Nothing to say that anyone seeking such grants / loans has to go to extraordinary lengths to prove their case is deserving, to show detailed plans not just for now, but for the future. One of the reasons the process has been ongoing for nearly a year now, and isn't concluded yet. If it was that easy - Livvy and Dundee, and just about any club you care to mention of that ilk, would have went down this road years before us.

Edited by pozbaird

More fuel to the debate. You'd think from reading that, all anyone needs to do is to knock the door of the funding agencies and say "We're becoming a Community Interest Company, gie's the money." Nothing to say that anyone seeking such grants / loans has to go to extraordinary lengths to prove their case is deserving, to show detailed plans not just for now, but for the future. One of the reasons the process has been ongoing for nearly a year now, and isn't concluded yet. If it was that easy - Livvy and Dundee, and just about any club you care to mention of that ilk, would have went down this road years before us.

What happens after 12 months if 5 of the 12 when 5 of the 12 £10,000 a year companies pull out?

What if RA or the CIC fail to find replacements?

Would this be a concern in terms of finance Poz?

I wouldn't get too bothered about the Mail running a barely researched article. Hardly unusual !

However, this could be the start of the national press starting to ask the same "awkward" questions that are popping up on this forum. The touchy subject of public sector spending in 2011 usually gets some people frothing at the mouth, and I think that once the Taxpayers Alliance get their dentures into this one, then it will get bumped up the media radar.

Maybe Sid should be appointed spokesman in RA's absence - then the Mail & Co would really get some headlines.

Would this be a concern in terms of finance Poz?

If you're asking me in my 'role' as someone who has done, and is doing some graphics work for the club / CIC, and might know - then the answer is, I haven't got a scooby doo. I am not in some inner circle of 'in the know' uber-fans, nor would I want to be. I have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes in any detailed financial side of the deal.

If you're asking me as a ginger-heided muppet fan, who joins in the debate with everyone else - then I would imagine any business, anywhere, anytime, in any situation, wouldn't be too chuffed to lose 'clients'.

I don't see how you can A. Speculate that the CIC will attract 12 corporate members, then B. Lose 5 of them.

This might not be my most well thought-out post of all time, but instead of wetting their pampers at the possibility of St Mirren looking for this money, shouldn't the Mail be more outraged with Portugal - who are looking for 70 billion of everyone's money?

I blame the Pixaio twins at Hamilton. The top flight is over, why don't you go home? :)

Edited by pozbaird

Yourself and the poster above are needed for putting a counter balance on the subject simply because up till now it has been too one sided.

Actually they're not.

Most sensible and level headed individuals,including myself :rolleyes: , will wait until the full facts are in the public domain and will make their own minds up without adopting the stance of clowns who want to force either an unremittingly positive or negative view of the issue upon us, through an internet forum.

To date I have only seen one faction of posters vehemently trying to sway supporters minds in a totally one sided fashion and it isn't the positive side.

I have serious doubts,but I am willing to wait and see................................

I have serious doubts,but I am willing to wait and see................................

I really hope we get the interest and the CIC goes through, I just have my doubts that they will get the required 300 members and the financial support from local businessmen.

EDIT- Regardless of how good the CIC proposals are and benifits for the club/member, times are tough.

I really hope they do get it though.

Edited by davidg

Actually they're not.

Most sensible and level headed individuals,including myself :rolleyes: , will wait until the full facts are in the public domain and will make their own minds up without adopting the stance of clowns who want to force either an unremittingly positive or negative view of the issue upon us, through an internet forum.

To date I have only seen one faction of posters vehemently trying to sway supporters minds in a totally one sided fashion and it isn't the positive side.

Yes of course we need to wait until all the facts come out before a proper debate can be put forward.

But it's no bad thing for question to be asked such as Davidg is throwing up. A bit crazy the way he puts over his point but Animal also. These are key questions that will have to be answered.

Now we have the start of bad publicity which will snow ball for the use of public money to buy shares in a football club in a time of major cut backs for the public sector and charites.

It being a forum it's going to throw up all sorts of debates before and after we finally get to hear how the CIC works.

As things stand there are more questions than answers, lets debate.

The CIC proposal has been working away for a year or so we are told. Yet a done deal is hoped to be done in a matter of weeks even though the majority have no idea how it works.

This might not be my most well thought-out post of all time, but instead of wetting their pampers at the possibility of St Mirren looking for this money, shouldn't the Mail be more outraged with Portugal - who are looking for 70 billion of everyone's money?

Actually they're not - they're only asking everyone else to act a guarantors on the off-chance that they can't pay it back. :P

From todays Irvine Herald. Nothing we really don't know already though this article says we need around 36 companies to be involved. Thought it was 10

Irvine businessman close to St Mirren takeover

Apr 8 2011 by John Woods, Irvine Herald

THE Irvine businessman behind the plan to turn St Mirren into a genuine community club says the Buddies are about to embark on “something very special.”

Maxi Group haulage boss Richard Atkinson is on the verge of completing a radical community-backed takeover of Saints and has set up a Community Interest Company called 10,000 Hours to buy a controlling 52-per-cent stake in the Premier League outfit.

But he has warned that if he doesn’t get the level of support he needs then he will abandon the project.

Atkinson, who took over the reins of the Irvine haulage company from his millionaire father Gerry seven years ago, is offering fans, businesses and charity groups the chance to register their interest in the new venture by signing up to a new website at 10000hours.org

He needs 300 fans paying £10 a month, as well as around three dozen companies and community groups who will also make a financial contribution, to push through the £2million deal.

In return, he will offer each of them a say in how the club is run – and even the chance to earn a place on the St Mirren board.

“This project is about shared ownership and shared control,” said Atkinson.

“It’s about giving everyone involved a genuine say in how the club is run.

“Already a number of companies and community groups have signed up and we’ve got about three quarters of what we need.

“But a community interest club only works if the community is interested and, if the only people interested are a really small, die-hard support and no-one else wants to be involved in a Barcelona-style approach to communal interest then we would have to step away.”

Guest somner9

quote from Irvine Herald: "“But a community interest club only works if the community is interested and, if the only people interested are a really small, die-hard support and no-one else wants to be involved in a Barcelona-style approach to communal interest then we would have to step away.”

thats a bit odd, before the details are already out to anyone registering an interest RA is saying he's got 75% of the pledges he needs already, but then goes on to talk about the circumstances that might make him "Step Away". it's not what you call a "Bullish" interview talking up the proposal. still we'll get a chance to chew it over when the info arrives

From todays Irvine Herald. Nothing we really don't know already though this article says we need around 36 companies to be involved. Thought it was 10

There are three types of membership of the CIC;

Individual - £10 a month, of which they need a minimum of 300

Community Organisation - £500 a year, of which they need a minimum of 24

Corporate Organisation - £10K per year, of which they need a minimum of 12

So, the latter two combined is where the 36 comes from.

I think.

There are three types of membership of the CIC;

Individual - £10 a month, of which they need a minimum of 300

Community Organisation - £500 a year, of which they need a minimum of 24

Corporate Organisation - £10K per year, of which they need a minimum of 12

So, the latter two combined is where the 36 comes from.

I think.

Yes that adds up Div

I am surprised it has taken the Daily Rags so long to pick up on this story. However without being shot down in flames by the wait and see brigade. The mail has touched on the very point and potential obstacle that concerns me about the funding aspect.

The CIC (from my very limited knowledge) looks like a great idea and the potential benefits to the Town and the Community could be huge.

However I cant get my head around that almost £1.5m of funding which is supposedly to come from Government Quango type organisations being paid direct as a payoff to some shareholders who stand to make a profit (depends on what you classify as a profit) from it. I know that this type of money is VERY difficult to come by I am aware of the forms, the business plans the presentations that have to be made to convince these organisations that you are better placed to receive that funding than anyone else. But the words payoff and profit would ring alarm bells.

The funders would have to ask the question is the brand St Mirren worth £1.5m as a platform to use for a community type organisation. The proof will be the uptake on the fan/community/commercial initiative. Cant help thinking that with our official attendance being recorded as low every week that it will be looked at an initiative that may not be perceived as being worth it. (ie a potential catchment of 100k attendance of 4k, the flipside is that there is a potential audience to work on it)

I mean £1.5m would provide another community organisation a new building and a management structure to develop their own community initiative.

I suspect that the funding may well be in place on the proviso that they meet a specific community involvement of 300/24/12.

The 300 at £10/head may struggle with fans that will say I am not paying for SGs payoff after all what has he ever done for the club. (Paraphrasing not my words nor my own opinion)

All of the above is purely my thoughts I will no doubt find out more information as it is released.

Edited by Gruffalo

I am surprised it has taken the Daily Rags so long to pick up on this story. However without being shot down in flames by the “wait and see brigade”. The mail has touched on the very point and potential obstacle that concerns me about the funding aspect.

The CIC (from my very limited knowledge) looks like a great idea and the potential benefits to the Town and the Community could be huge.

However I can’t get my head around that almost £1.5m of funding which is supposedly to come from Government Quango type organisations being paid direct as a payoff to some shareholders who stand to make a profit (depends on what you classify as a profit) from it. I know that this type of money is VERY difficult to come by I am aware of the forms, the business plans the presentations that have to be made to convince these organisations that you are better placed to receive that funding than anyone else. But the words payoff and profit would ring alarm bells.

The funders would have to ask the question is the brand “St Mirren” worth £1.5m as a platform to use for a community type organisation. The proof will be the uptake on the fan/community/commercial initiative. Can’t help thinking that with our “official” attendance being recorded as low every week that it will be looked at an initiative that may not be perceived as being worth it. (ie a potential catchment of 100k attendance of 4k, the flipside is that there is a potential audience to work on it)

I mean £1.5m would provide another community organisation a new building and a management structure to develop their own community initiative.

I suspect that the funding may well be in place on the proviso that they meet a specific community involvement of 300/24/12.

The 300 at £10/head may struggle with fans that will say I am not paying for SG’s payoff after all what has he ever done for the club. (Paraphrasing not my words nor my own opinion)

All of the above is purely my thoughts I will no doubt find out more information as it is released.

I doubt they would get the money before whoever decides these things goes over RA's plans with a fine toothpick. The business plan would have to be watertight and he would have to show that the community would benefit to the tune of at least however much he's asking for. I would think. :huh:

The money will come with strict guidelines and conditions. These organisations make you tick every box in an attempt to prevent the very nonsense that the mail is publishing.

Worthy causes are very subjective when it comes to funding. These organisations endeavour to ensure that no one is lining their pockets with the proceeds.

If the funding comes off and/or is in place then this gives immense credibility to the proposals.