The Club Buy Out - 10000 Hours

This whole situation pisses me off, I feel it's a distraction from what I want to see - a successful Saints team on the park.

The club was put up for sale, hence someone has to buy it or we drift on forever with no energy and no innovation from a tired boardroom who have more than done their bit.

I do agree the timing is a bit unfortunate as we all need to focus on what is important. Tomorrow's football match is absolutely massive.

Anyone who thinks a fully kitted out bar and kitchen facility would only be used for two or three hours every second week for part of the year is living in cloud cuckoo land !

I agree.

However Div, the other side of this is that if Mr Atkinson thinks that a business will pay £12,000 per annum on the basis that fans of the club might go to them if some of the profits generated are going back to the club I'd suggest he's lost his marbles too. Are there really St Mirren fans out there who would abandon their "hunt the cunt" trip to Glasgow on a Friday or a Saturday night for a trip to a pub and kitchen in Ferguslie Park?

I agree.

However Div, the other side of this is that if Mr Atkinson thinks that a business will pay £12,000 per annum on the basis that fans of the club might go to them if some of the profits generated are going back to the club I'd suggest he's lost his marbles too.

You will be an invaluable member of the CIC, you've just increased the corporate income by 20% with one stroke of your wee chubby fingers. Good work !

I have no idea what the full corporate package entails (at £10k pa not £12k), but I am sure full details will be made available for any organisations who are interested in finding out !

You will be an invaluable member of the CIC, you've just increased the corporate income by 20% with one stroke of your wee chubby fingers. Good work !

I have no idea what the full corporate package entails (at £10k pa not £12k), but I am sure full details will be made available for any organisations who are interested in finding out !

Yeah, but that's the strange thing. What's the secret? You've said there's 600 individuals registered their interest and on the face of it that's fantastic. I'll admit I'm one of them. But I'm registering because I'm hoping that there will be a big reveal in this document cause right now all I understand is they want people to give them a tenner a month to help something mythical called "The Community". Surely it would have helped keep the costs down if they did the big reveal on the 1000hours website and then only people with a genuine interest in progressing their interest would apply.

Same goes for businesses. I can't imagine why companies either in Paisley or not would be remotely interested in paying £10,000 per annum to market themselves to St Mirren supporters. Surely if you were going to want to do that you'd go for a trackside advertising package at £1,000 and get your logo on TV every second weekend and keep the £9,000 in your back pocket.

As I've said as a vague idea they are talking my kind of language - but the execution of it all looks very unimpressive so far.

I think Richard Atkinson has great ideas , I think getting St Mirren involved more in the Community is great , I think its a great idea to set part of the club up in such a way that it works with the Community is great .

However I quite like the model of how we run the club just now , half a dozen successful businessmen have done a great job running the club , and I,m sure along with Richard Atkinson we have an excellent board of directors.

Lets just let the club continue the way it is going , and let the shares up for sale find their true value , and open up opportunities for another group of successful businessmen to take the club forward.

We are doing okay as a club , we,re going through a period of transition and it looks like Danny Lennon is starting to get his ideas into the team .

Do we really need to change , or are we just going through this process so that existing shareholders can find a buyer for their shares.

I agree.

However Div, the other side of this is that if Mr Atkinson thinks that a business will pay £12,000 per annum on the basis that fans of the club might go to them if some of the profits generated are going back to the club I'd suggest he's lost his marbles too. Are there really St Mirren fans out there who would abandon their "hunt the cunt" trip to Glasgow on a Friday or a Saturday night for a trip to a pub and kitchen in Ferguslie Park?

There are already successful social event facilities at other clubs who don't even have in town stadiums. Sometimes you actuall through out the odd good idea StuDick, unfortunately there is a lot of shite spouted and the really sad thing is that you can't tell one from the other. :P

Surely it would have helped keep the costs down if they did the big reveal on the 1000hours website and then only people with a genuine interest in progressing their interest would apply.

How much does it cost to send someone an email ? :unsure::blink:

There are already successful social event facilities at other clubs who don't even have in town stadiums. Sometimes you actuall through out the odd good idea StuDick, unfortunately there is a lot of shite spouted and the really sad thing is that you can't tell one from the other. :P

Whilst that is undoubtedly true St Sid, I can't see how the point I made isn't valid. The club isn't going to organise a weekly player of the year dinner, or a 11 year 5 month, 6 days and twelve hour dinner celebrating Gary McKay saddling Tom Hendrie. If I was running a business parting with £10,000 to market myself to 2,000 football fans I'd be expecting something that would make them change their habits for ever to the benefit of my business. I really can't see even the most dyed in the wool St Mirren fan changing their nights out in Glasgow for a night at Ferguslie Park.

Just a quick question regarding any loan taken out by 10,000 hours. If the whole thing does go tits up would each and every investor from business down to the £10 pm payers be liable should the bank call time on it or would the board members be the ones under writting any borrowings ?

Is this the kind of information the club will provide to those signing up as interested parties - I have registered my interest but I just cannot get my head around who / what 10,000 hours are / will be !

I’m surprised at some of the outright negativity to the concept of a CIC ownership. To me it seems to represent some form of Utopian dream – a club owned by the community, working together to the benefit of everyone involved, the sort of thing that sees praise being showered (quite rightly) upon FC United and AFC Wimbledon.

However, I agree with many posters expressing their scepticism that this may well be a dream. Looking at the target audience of investors, I will be pleasantly surprised if this actually happens:

FansRA says he aims to have 300 on board. Given the SMISA backing when the broon stuff went down with Brearly, this does seem achievable. This raises £36k.

Expanding beyond the 300 mark ? Probably likely, but unlikey to match the hardcore of 3000. If 1500 got involved, (treble RA’s expectations), then this raises £180k.

Therefore we are still miles off the serious numbers required.

Private Sector InvestmentGiven the above, this is the critical area. RA says he is aiming at 36 firms being involved. At £10k a pop, this brings in £360k. I am now getting confused at the way the sums are adding up, but doubtlessly I have misread things.

More pertinently, as someone who runs a private company, if I had a spare £10k floating around in these economic times, then there are a number of more pressing areas I would be investing it in for the good of my business. If I was plunging it into the CIC, I’d want some seriously good benefits for my firm. I could get away with it as a sole trader, but if it was a partnership, my fellow partners would need to be Buds, or RA would need to provide a fairly amazing package.

Big Campbell has been knocking on the doors of the Paisley business community for years to get them backing the club in one way or another. From speaking to Campbell over the years, this has clearly been a real hard sell.....and that was pre-recession, AND dealing with St.Mirren-minded firms. Few were being asked to part with £10k, and were getting hospitality/advertising, etc. You need to offer much more than that for £10k

It strikes me that the trick to all of this is to reach beyond the SMFC hardcore support/business backer. Our existing fan/client base doesn’t seem capable of generating the funding involved, despite their good feeling. Therefore, persuading non-SMFC orientated businessmen/women to stick £10k into the Buds........a genuine “GOOD LUCK” to all concerned. I really hope you can pull it off.

I f Gordon Smith came along tomorrow representing a 6-man consortium, with a price and business plan that met the criteria of SG & Co, then a deal would be done within 3 weeks/minutes. Seeing as there is no one waiting in the wings, then I could see that RA may be given extra time to get his funding together..........but all the while that drags on, there will be “stalking horses” keeping an eye on things, and noting any increased desire/desperacy of the BoD to dump their shares. I see that Fitzy has been wheeled out, which is great. I’m sure his business partner appreciates any insight to proceedings.

Let’s just sit back and see how this works out. Interesting times anyway !

Whilst that is undoubtedly true St Sid, I can't see how the point I made isn't valid. The club isn't going to organise a weekly player of the year dinner, or a 11 year 5 month, 6 days and twelve hour dinner celebrating Gary McKay saddling Tom Hendrie. If I was running a business parting with £10,000 to market myself to 2,000 football fans I'd be expecting something that would make them change their habits for ever to the benefit of my business. I really can't see even the most dyed in the wool St Mirren fan changing their nights out in Glasgow for a night at Ferguslie Park.

You are simply transferring your own limitations onto other people. I have worked for companies that have spent a lot more than £10,000 on a staff night out. :)

The current BoD have done great things for the club and are on the verge or delivering an astonishing legacy. We are about to embark on a journey that will see us playing on a different level to what has gone before. The BoD put us into a strong position. It is time for us to exploit that strong position. Being a CIC will make St Mirren very big news and not just in Scotland. We will be a fantastic innovative brand with a great social message that many organisations will be very keen to associate themselves with.

You are simply transferring your own limitations onto other people. I have worked for companies that have spent a lot more than £10,000 on a staff night out. :)

The current BoD have done great things for the club and are on the verge or delivering an astonishing legacy. We are about to embark on a journey that will see us playing on a different level to what has gone before. The BoD put us into a strong position. It is time for us to exploit that strong position. Being a CIC will make St Mirren very big news and not just in Scotland. We will be a fantastic innovative brand with a great social message that many organisations will be very keen to associate themselves with.

Yeah probably Sid. I've worked for companies like that too. Indeed currently I work for a company that reportedly paid out six hundred times that to an individual member of staff as their annual bonus. But I can't think of many that are either owned by St Mirren minded people, or who are in what would be regarded as "Paisley community".

I'm not negative on the vague concept being presented so far. Right now I think every person can imagine how they think it should be and they can dress that up to be what Atkinson is aiming for because there is absolutely no detail. Even in my head with my own limitations :rolleyes: I can see an image of how I think it could work, and I've posted that on here somewhere but nothing that has been said by Atkinson or Fitzpatrick has hit those buttons yet. Who knows, maybe the big idea is that Atkinson wants everyone to pay £10 per month for an empty suggestion box and then come up with the ideas to make it work. Either way though the point I made a few posts ago remains valid. Why would a company pay £10,000 to market itself to 3,000 St Mirren supporters, when it can do much the same thing currently for £900 if they stick their name on an ad board and place it in the West Stand?

We are on the verge of an astonishing legacy of debt.

We are about to embark on a journey that could end in disaster or if we are really lucky a dead end.

Playing on a different level - possibly the Second Division. Yes we could be big news how about"St Mirren Sunk" as a headline.

Not many organisations wanting associated with that !

What are you on - is it legal - is it expensive - does it have any other serious side effects ?

Edited by animal

We are about to embark on a journey that could end in disaster or if we are really lucky a dead end.

Playing on a different level - possibly the Second Division. Yes we could be big news how about"St Mirren Sunk" as a headline.

What are you on - is it legal - is it expensive - does it have any other serious side effects ?

The kind of drugs you are on are illegal,expensive and definitely have serious side effects. :blink:

Edited by pod

Yeah probably Sid. I've worked for companies like that too. Indeed currently I work for a company that reportedly paid out six hundred times that to an individual member of staff as their annual bonus. But I can't think of many that are either owned by St Mirren minded people, or who are in what would be regarded as "Paisley community".

I'm not negative on the vague concept being presented so far. Right now I think every person can imagine how they think it should be and they can dress that up to be what Atkinson is aiming for because there is absolutely no detail. Even in my head with my own limitations :rolleyes: I can see an image of how I think it could work, and I've posted that on here somewhere but nothing that has been said by Atkinson or Fitzpatrick has hit those buttons yet. Who knows, maybe the big idea is that Atkinson wants everyone to pay £10 per month for an empty suggestion box and then come up with the ideas to make it work. Either way though the point I made a few posts ago remains valid. Why would a company pay £10,000 to market itself to 3,000 St Mirren supporters, when it can do much the same thing currently for £900 if they stick their name on an ad board and place it in the West Stand?

But it's not just the support they'd be marketing themselves to, there would be a sort of business networking going on. For example business A offers a service that business B needs and possibly ofers a discount to other CiC members. From the community side you could have something like a St Mirren credit union offering it's services to the 300+ supporters who are members - it all depends on what type of businesses and community schemes get involved how it would work.

Well. Aren't you the little ray of f**king sunshine.

Edited by Reynard

Guest somner9

gotta say thanks to the wee cliche of people prepared to join in the round of personal insults, name calling and threats. nice touch boys but fortunately i saw threw all that at school many years ago.

as my dear old mum used to say, don;t let the bullies win.

so i would expect another round of the secret society threats and insults in response, me i'll take the grown up route and leave you to your own method. but definetly not going away :lol:

Well. Aren't you the little ray of f**king sunshine.

:lol:

A club I really admire is Barcelona for the simple fact the fans own the club and the clubs shirt sponsors a child's charity. What we are trying to do is in a much smaller scale but along the same lines. It's a great idea that thankfully the majority on here support it. Big Fraz as usual puts across good points. If only this was happening in the early 70's when the town of Paisley was booming and money was flowing like no tomorrow. Did I read or hear Mr Atkinson say we are three quarters way there already , Im sure I did.

Although debt worries me Its comforting to know a former director of a bank is on board , surly all bankers are not mad :P

gotta say thanks to the wee cliche of people prepared to join in the round of personal insults, name calling and threats. nice touch boys but fortunately i saw threw all that at school many years ago.

so i would expect another round of the secret society threats and insults in response, me i'll take the grown up route and leave you to your own method. but definetly not going away :lol:

Odd post for you to make when you opening post on the thread was

"just read Atkinson's piece in the sun is it just me or does he think he's buying "Glasgow ladies Football Team"?

by the look of his picture and his words i can only draw the conclusion that he is a F@*ny"

Your next posts were threats to a wee runt of the litter c"nctillor loving houston handbagger. :P

I'm starting to think that you are a Richard Atkinson alias trying to discredit the doubter arguments. :lol:

I'd like to meet a cliche of people. Do they just take it one post at a time and set their stall out early doors? Sick as parrots the lot of em'.

It's a shame your mum didn't tell you to stick in at school. It might have prevented you from becoming a complete ear chewer.