Sonny

Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

No sure if this has been posted, apologies if so.....................

Caused by Man Made Global Fecking Warming. 

Obviously 

:byebye

On 1/24/2020 at 1:11 PM, pod said:

Looks great, would be fantastic but almost certainly won't happen. Lost count of the number of similar plans I've seen for Paisley and other Scottish towns that have come to feck all.

Would be wonderful if this bucks the trend but won't get my hopes up.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:18 PM, pod said:

I think that the facade is an absolute disaster especially in the cross-section photograph.  No reference to the existing Victorian facade and brings the mind the obnoxious  Modernist architecture the destroyed County Square.

22 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I think that the facade is an absolute disaster especially in the cross-section photograph.  No reference to the existing Victorian facade and brings the mind the obnoxious  Modernist architecture the destroyed County Square.

An improvement on what is presently there. 

On 1/27/2020 at 3:17 PM, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I understand why peopld don't like most newbuild facades, especially when compared to Victorian or Edwardian buildings. But the fact is that to build is stolid load bearing masonry is prohibitively expensive and has very poor thermal properties. Brick skins, and stone cladding never quite give the visual appeal of the traditional technique. But basically your options are build in a modern style or don't build at all. I do think this is a mock up and the actual facade might be better, but ultimately it is not going to look any different from a thousand other new build scheme in the same idiom. And to be fair, there is not much between the corner of causwayside and the old bingo hall facade that is worth keeping

On 2/19/2020 at 11:41 AM, insaintee said:

I understand why peopld don't like most newbuild facades, especially when compared to Victorian or Edwardian buildings. But the fact is that to build is stolid load bearing masonry is prohibitively expensive and has very poor thermal properties. Brick skins, and stone cladding never quite give the visual appeal of the traditional technique. But basically your options are build in a modern style or don't build at all. I do think this is a mock up and the actual facade might be better, but ultimately it is not going to look any different from a thousand other new build scheme in the same idiom. And to be fair, there is not much between the corner of causwayside and the old bingo hall facade that is worth keeping

I agree with DSS, in that how this projected building plan protrudes into the High Street and more importantly how the embellishments for the first floor upwardly disrupt the otherwise clean line demarcating ground and first floors.... makes it an ugly intrusion to the High Street.

The materials are just another, “Me, me, me... look at me!” tweak from the architect/designer.  What is wrong with lovely light sandstone?  The ground floor of the bank(?) next door has what seems to be perfectly attractive sandstone uprights, which I’d guess is simple cladding.

image.thumb.jpeg.caa477df50ca4af9d808a73537262631.jpeg

Edited by antrin

15 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Could be about to lose the T.A. building. emoji91.png

As in "knocked down" Cockles??

That'd be a real pity as done up it would still be a cracking building.

10 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

As in "knocked down" Cockles??

That'd be a real pity as done up it would still be a cracking building.

It’s on fire.

Wonder if it’s just coincidence developers want to turn it into flats?

Doesn't surprise me.  For decades now this fine building has been lying derelict and the local authority should be asking themselves why didn't they liaise with the owner in trying to utilise this historic building into something useful.  After the fire at the Glasgow School of Art I would have thought a wake-up call should have been taken on by local authorities by examining all historic buildings which may be at risk. 

Doesn't surprise me.  For decades now this fine building has been lying derelict and the local authority should be asking themselves why didn't they liaise with the owner in trying to utilise this historic building into something useful.  After the fire at the Glasgow School of Art I would have thought a wake-up call should have been taken on by local authorities by examining all historic buildings which may be at risk. 
I had hoped as part of Paisley 2021 that the building would have been fully restored.

Criminal waste.

6 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

As much as I would like to see the building restored I doubt very much it will happen and I doubt it was 'listed'.  

It was “B” listed.