Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

3 hours ago, Slarti said:
3 hours ago, StanleySaint said:
Like I said earlier in the thread, I can't think where we got our hair cut as kids, by the 80s I was growing mine very long so didn't bother so much and was in Dundee for much of that time, did get it cut in the one at the corner of Braids Road and Causeyside Street when I was back briefly in the mid 90s.

That would be the corner of Braids Rd and Neilston Rd. Still one there - called Get Your Domedone now.

That's the one and that was what it was called cheers Slarti.

4 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Johnny blues in Greenock rd for all my haircuts, my god he was brutal.

Raymel's in St James St for me back in the 60s , remember looking at the pics while waiting to get taken , and wondering what a "Tony Curtis flat-top" was? 

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Arnotts.

I remember being in there with my mate, I must have been early/mid twenty and, for some reason, the security guard decided to follow us about.

We decided to pass almost half an hour looking at expensive items while he was getting more and more anxious. 

May be an image of 4 people

That brings back some memories, I had a Saturday job in there in the Electrical Dept. Initially it was located above where pendulum is now and latterly it moved to the warehouse up the ramp at the far end of the photo beside the furniture section. 

1 minute ago, DumboBud said:

That brings back some memories, I had a Saturday job in there in the Electrical Dept. Initially it was located above where pendulum is now and latterly it moved to the warehouse up the ramp at the far end of the photo beside the furniture section. 

You didnae progress to a security guard did you? 😉

38 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You didnae progress to a security guard did you? 😉

There was a big older guy, think he was called Mr Graham, bit of an attitude but was actually ok. 
Back in those days, it was the make up girls that thought they were a cut above the other workers. 

2 hours ago, HSS said:

Bobby and Graham,corner of Caledonia St/Underwood Rd

Bobby and Graham both worked in Raymel's in the 60s  , Tommy Taylor owned the business , his sons were Raymond , Melvin and Vance !

16 minutes ago, billyg said:

Bobby and Graham both worked in Raymel's in the 60s  , Tommy Taylor owned the business , his sons were Raymond , Melvin and Vance !

I was going to Charlie’s in the 60s Billy,sitting on the plank between the 2 arms of the chair My B+G days started  1976 It was always busy and you knew you were in for a wait but it was the place to go 😂 

On 4/9/2023 at 8:13 AM, faraway saint said:

Arnotts.

I remember being in there with my mate, I must have been early/mid twenty and, for some reason, the security guard decided to follow us about.

We decided to pass almost half an hour looking at expensive items while he was getting more and more anxious. 

May be an image of 4 people

I apprehended a peeping tom one Saturday afternoon in there, probably in the summer of 1984 as my son was still in his buggy.  The peeper had been hanging around the ladies toilet near the tea room.  The security guard deliberately let me leave without taking any details for the cops, but i called them myself anyway and they asked me down to Mill St.  Once they took my statement they tried to get me to admit to giving the peeper a sore face, a very unsubtle attempt to book me for assault.

The guy attempted to defend himself in court and instead of putting up a defence he constantly complained to the Sheriff that he had been punched

53 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Keen swimmer Shull? Or chip eater? 

Both.

No Chippy on the Saturday though. After swimming, straight home for Rolls and Sausage, then off to support the Saints wherever we were playing.

Done the Chippy on a Monday night. Was part of the Barrhead Dolphins Club in the early 1970s at the Baths. Bag of chips eaten on the Club bus on the way home.

FB_IMG_1681545118140.jpg.a6ab25c70da6890130d03ac491f4334e.jpgFB_IMG_1681545123070.jpg.b01c0a8fa730d1b7fc2cbaca14893f35.jpg

5 AND 7 WEST PAISLEY BRAE, PAISLEY {listed buildings}

The buildings are late 18th / very early 19th century.
Built as a single storey and attic, the former weavers' cottage on the West Brae sloped site with a partial basement and attached single and 2-storey, tenemented cottage (interior forming)
Sited within The Cross/Oakshaw Conservation Area, these buildings are thought to some of the oldest remaining structures within the centre of Paisley. 

They are sited at the bottom of West Brae (1) (formerly Hut Brae), which is dominated by the former John Neilson Education Institute. The area to the rear of these properties was formerly the playing fields for the school, which was set up to provide an education for poor children in Paisley. 

The steep hillside on which the cottages are set leads to a surviving vernacular 
(concerned with domestic and functional rather than public or monumental buildings.) interior plan. 

At Number 5, the right hand side of the elevation is accessed through the entrance door at near street level. The left hand side of the elevation falls away sharply with the ground floor appearing to be at 1st floor height with another door accessing a lower store area beneath the building. 

The ground floor was divided into 2 rooms split by a through passage; to the left of the entrance the well-lit weaver's workshop which would have contained the loom(s) and to the right, accommodation for the family. The upper rooms may also have been for accommodation as the pitch and height of the roof do not appear to allow for looms, but as they are south east facing and well lit it is possible spinning wheels were used up here. 

Old photographs of Paisley show comparable cottages; these too are weaver's cottages. They have similar attic dormers which are thatched with slating directly in front of the windows, the high S gable and the dormer shape of this cottage suggests this was also thatched in a similar style. 

Thatching in Paisley began to die out after a by-law was passed which tried to dissuade owners from using this material (considered a serious fire hazard). 

Number 7 is in-built into Number 5's gable and is believed to have been associated with the weaving that went on. It is tenement-style accommodation and although not at first obvious, the rear of the property is only single storey as the roof falls sharply to a relatively low wallhead. 
It is actually 2 small dwellings, the second of which is entered by a door in the gable end. At the time of these cottages' construction, Paisley was renowned for weaving. In 1766 there had been 1767 handloom weavers in the town and after the introduction of shawl manufacturing in 1803, it was believed there were 7000. 

The Paisley shawl was fashionable from around 1805 until 1870 when ladies overcoats replaced them. The weavers worked with linen and silk. As well as plain handlooms, drawlooms were also used; these were heavier and harder to operate than a handloom as they had lead weights, cords and a harness. 

A draw boy was employed to pull the bundles of cords for the weaver. Evidence survives that the main room at Number 5 was a weaving shop, whose business was later expanded. Maps show, to the rear of the property, a larger building was constructed (now lost) that may have held further looms. 

The plan and size of the rooms at the adjacent Number 7 could well have provided accommodation for extra workers employed in the weaving shed. 

The cottages have also been the subject for many years of paintings by artists due to their form and site on the hill. These buildings are listed for several reasons. They are early vernacular buildings (concerned with domestic and functional rather than public or monumental buildings.) conserving the historic and industrial past of Paisley; they are sited within a conservation area and provide an interesting variety to the streetscape.

(1) 1759- The West Brae was originally named Hut Brae as (The westmost portion of the range of Oakshaw Hill, the site of the praetorium of the Roman Camp), and called the Hutt in this period, was formed into a bowling-green in 1758.

Eddie McRorie

FROM PAISLEY FACEBOOK GROUP

Storie Street - courtesy of Paisley Oor Wee Toon.
This photo will bring back loads of memories I'm sure, Smellie & Weir, Pawnbrokers on Storie Street, opposite the old Swimming Baths and next to the Cattle Market, as captured by Wilson Miller in 1975. The business had until recently a shop (now closed) at 47-49 Tollcross Road, Parkhead.
© Wilson Miller

FB_IMG_1681775807403.jpg

I'd forgotten that buses used to come "up" Moss Street at one time.

Moss Street
Talk about three buses arriving together. This picture of a row of Cunningham’s buses parked up outside of what was then the T.S.B. in Moss Street , Bryce’s TV shop on the right. Just in picture on the left is a sign for Trident. Does anybody remember the electrical outlet Trident? Very similar to Currys and Comet.

May be an image of tram and text

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'd forgotten that buses used to come "up" Moss Street at one time.

Moss Street
Talk about three buses arriving together. This picture of a row of Cunningham’s buses parked up outside of what was then the T.S.B. in Moss Street , Bryce’s TV shop on the right. Just in picture on the left is a sign for Trident. Does anybody remember the electrical outlet Trident? Very similar to Currys and Comet.

May be an image of tram and text

Look at how few people must have owned cars.

Now both sides of the road are filled with cars parked.

I don’t remember buses coming up Moss Street.

Did those buses turn left after Bryce’s TV shop past the GPO or head up to the High Street?

I assume they never tried to go up School Wynd. 😂 

I don’t ever remember being inside Bryce’s TV shop but used to always check the final scores on the way back from Love St through the windows. 

6 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Look at how few people must have owned cars.

Now both sides of the road are filled with cars parked.

I don’t remember buses coming up Moss Street.

Did those buses turn left after Bryce’s TV shop past the GPO or head up to the High Street?

I assume they never tried to go up School Wynd. 😂 

I don’t ever remember being inside Bryce’s TV shop but used to always check the final scores on the way back from Love St through the windows. 

If memory serves me correct Cunninghams route was Renfrew Ferry to Old Sneddon Street and ran empty into Moss Street and parked up until it the scheduled time to go back to the ferry leaving from County Square. I guess services were suspended for a few hours in 1959.20200425_161609.thumb.jpg.84b2767ac9cde2fed50e35433c9012ab.jpg

• 3 weeks later...