Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

11 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Getting back on subject...............................:offtopic

I know I've seen loads of photos of the Old Love Street, but I don't remember seeing this view - apparently taken in 1927.

Love Street 1927.jpg

The old north primary school at love street end I remember. The area with the chimneys was a wood yard when I was young. 

Caught me out a wee bit before I realized this wasn't a bus stop. :lol:
A Grahams Bus dropping a passenger on the High Street at the bottom of Churchhill. On the background building can be seen the imprint of James Lang & Co who were Leather Merchants (associated with Langs Tannery Bridge of Weir). The block was demolished and replaced with the block Hamishes Hoose were in till recently when the pub closed.
From the Archive
May be an image of 8 people, tram, street and text
Edited by faraway saint

On 8/23/2023 at 5:07 PM, buddiecat said:

Ah the Skye crescent bus, I only used it occasionally as I lived further up Glenburn road and the Braehead or Ferenze drive buses stopped across from our house. And the Courtyard in the background.

On 8/23/2023 at 8:14 PM, HSS said:

And a Black and White coo in the field behind 🐄 

It is still there.

6 minutes ago, HSS said:

Upon a hill

There stood a Coo

It must have moved

Coz it’s no there noo

©️ Tannahill 1807

Credited as an "Inverkeithing song" in these parts, to the tune of O when the saints

There wuz a coo, on yon-der hill, there was coo on yon-der hi-ill

It's no there noo, it must ha'e shifted

There wuz a coo on yon-der hill (repeated ad nauseum, it makes the night bus back from Reekie so much more enjoyable)

21 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Used the Renfrew ferry many times with my mother as we travelled over to a few hospitals on the other side of the water.

May be an image of body of water and text that says "GLASGOW MOTORWAY ARCHIVE"

My mum had folks in Falkirk , and I have vague memories of us heading there for the weekend and having to queue for the Ferry on a Saturday morning, before the existence of the Tunnel and Kingston Bridge , the route was Bearsden , Kirkintilloch , Kilsyth , Bonnybridge , Falkirk !

12 minutes ago, billyg said:

My mum had folks in Falkirk , and I have vague memories of us heading there for the weekend and having to queue for the Ferry on a Saturday morning, before the existence of the Tunnel and Kingston Bridge , the route was Bearsden , Kirkintilloch , Kilsyth , Bonnybridge , Falkirk !

We, like most families in our area, never had a car and these trips took some planning and considerable time which, nowadays, would only take a fraction of the time. 

I doubt we'll appreciate what our parents just took for granted. 

The Renfrew ferry was a cheap day out for us when we were kids, bus from Paisley straight to ferry rd, sit on the grass for hours watching ships and boats going up and down the Clyde (1970s) then if we were lucky a ice cream or cream soda from the Ferry cafe. The other cheap day out was the bus to the linn. 

Ah the Skye crescent bus, I only used it occasionally as I lived further up Glenburn road and the Braehead or Ferenze drive buses stopped across from our house. And the Courtyard in the background.

On 8/21/2023 at 2:48 AM, shull said:

FB_IMG_1692581857241.jpg.39da405b735fbe6697734b5a874a4b56.jpg

I struggled to remember the name of the big red sandstone house on the hill (top right) and found it is Thorscrag, built by the arcitect Mclennan who designed some of the more Rennie-Mackintosh- (ish) houses in Thornley Park,  described as one of the most unusual houses in Scotland,  I used to see it on my travels around Glenburn as a kid and when i worked in Barrhead for a while, it always struck me as being somewhat intimidating.  It is currently owned by this guy

The year I started work as an apprentice my pay was £250 pa. (!) so I had to get an extra job Friday night and Saturday all day.................... in the Courtyard.

Worked the main bar downstairs but was moved into the off-sales at 9.15 as closing time was still 10.00 and there was always a rush / queue outside the OS from 9.30 onwards!

28 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

The year I started work as an apprentice my pay was £250 pa. (!) so I had to get an extra job Friday night and Saturday all day.................... in the Courtyard.

Worked the main bar downstairs but was moved into the off-sales at 9.15 as closing time was still 10.00 and there was always a rush / queue outside the OS from 9.30 onwards!

Cost of living crisis! Folks now don’t know how good they have it. 
And I bet you had too shoe a lot of horses for that salary 😅

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

On 8/28/2023 at 7:49 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

Cost of living crisis! Folks now don’t know how good they have it. 
And I bet you had too shoe a lot of horses for that salary 😅

The ultimate irony of it was, that I made more from my paper round per week (which I did directly with the Glasgow Herald) than I was being paid to be an apprentice surveyor.

Due to the new work being in Glasgow I couldn't continue with the paper round which was pretty useful money at the time!

2 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

The ultimate irony of it was, that I made more from my paper round per week (which I did directly with the Glasgow Herald) than I was being paid to be an apprentice surveyor.

Due to the new work being in Glasgow I couldn't continue with the paper round which was pretty useful money at the time!

I remember a Davie Shepherd from Bute Crescent used to hurtle around Paisley (Glenburn in particular) at a frightening pace dropping off the Heralds and the Evening Times to the delivery guys, at least you could hear him, or his gearbox, coming as you crossed the road.

Whatever happened to the ubiquitous "van boy" jobs?  Just about everyone who got dispensation to leave St Aelred's at  had an offer of  van boy job at the laundry or on the papers.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

I remember a Davie Shepherd from Bute Crescent used to hurtle around Paisley (Glenburn in particular) at a frightening pace dropping off the Heralds and the Evening Times to the delivery guys, at least you could hear him, or his gearbox, coming as you crossed the road.

Whatever happened to the ubiquitous "van boy" jobs?  Just about everyone who got dispensation to leave St Aelred's at  15 had an offer of a van boy job at the laundry, bakeries or on the papers.