Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

On 7/16/2023 at 7:34 AM, faraway saint said:
As I rarely frequented Feegie I wasn't aware of these prefabs. My grandparents lived in a prefab out Hunterhill area and there were prefabs down in the Shortroads area. 
Ferguslie Park Prefabs
These were later replaced by what became known as 'The Crudens Hooses'
May be an image of 1 person

https://earth.google.com/web/search/Hunterhill+Road,+Paisley/@55.83263394,-4.39943393,25.83961487a,0d,59.99999973y,52.30106744h,87.61652322t,0r/data=CoMBGlkSUwolMHg0ODg4NDkzYzRjNzZkZGI3OjB4MzRlNGE3YmE2NzY0N2FlZBlXa3JCMutLQCEHFzyWiKkRwCoYSHVudGVyaGlsbCBSb2FkLCBQYWlzbGV5GAEgASImCiQJMPG6e_VhTEARUlgnoUlSRkAZyGzWsinWOEAhb2MXefx9NsAiGgoWQ01qZXV5anhGTmdyeVNCSzVVR1VEQRAC

On 7/16/2023 at 7:34 AM, faraway saint said:
As I rarely frequented Feegie I wasn't aware of these prefabs. My grandparents lived in a prefab out Hunterhill area and there were prefabs down in the Shortroads area. 
Ferguslie Park Prefabs
These were later replaced by what became known as 'The Crudens Hooses'
May be an image of 1 person

There was also prefabs near to StJames interchage just where they built the Airport parking {Now closed} on the left as you head up to the interchange on the duel carriageway 

I lived there till they knocked them down in 1964 remember it very well,  The ferguslie park prefabs got knocked down a year or 2 later 

There was 3 ways into the prefabs all through Railway Bridges....  Ferguslie Park Ave next to the shop known as Nellies, off Stirrat St, and StJames ave 

The area came under West March may even have been where the old Stmirren ground was ? 

14 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

There was also prefabs near to StJames interchage just where they built the Airport parking {Now closed} on the left as you head up to the interchange on the duel carriageway 

I lived there till they knocked them down in 1964 remember it very well,  The ferguslie park prefabs got knocked down a year or 2 later 

There was 3 ways into the prefabs all through Railway Bridges....  Ferguslie Park Ave next to the shop known as Nellies, off Stirrat St, and StJames ave 

The area came under West March may even have been where the old Stmirren ground was ? 

That sounds to me the place that was known as the cowboy valley, absolutely no idea how it became known as this..

We used to take our lives in our hands cutting through there too and from the shows at the racecourse, always a danger of taking a bushwhacking from the Craigielea drive gang...😂😂... Defo bandit country..

3 minutes ago, Helmettroll said:

That sounds to me the place that was known as the cowboy valley, absolutely no idea how it became known as this..

We used to take our lives in our hands cutting through there too and from the shows at the racecourse, always a danger of taking a bushwhacking from the Craigielea drive gang...😂😂... Defo bandit country..

Because you would need to be Tonto to go down there 

4 minutes ago, Helmettroll said:

Yes nearby

Cowboy Valley was a bit of waste land as you went through from nellies just to the right as you went through the bridge a small hill with bushes and tall grass you came out onto Stirrat street just at Clarke n Hunters and if you got by the bandits unscathed. the Clarke n Hunter Guard dogs were waiting to eat you alive. do you remember them ? 

Was always known as Cowboy Valley probably because savages were waiting to ambush you Apache Style  :lol:

Not Guilty 

My dad told me a story of when he was working in ferguslie renovating houses in the 60/70's.

They were getting shot at by someone with an air rifle. They had a fair idea after a while where they were getting shot from.

Did they ask the local plod to help, no. One of them had a legally owned shotgun and he sat in clear view of the offenders window with said weapon.

They didn't get shot at again. [emoji1787]

1 hour ago, eastlandssaint said:

Last I heard it was owned by a “geezer” in London. It was alleged that he would have been happy for it to up in smoke and then a forced demolition for safety reasons to allow a fresh development.

It then went back to auction and was sold in 2021 for £377,000.

IMG_3158.thumb.jpeg.1a59be90abca40f87cb75504563647c1.jpeg

You can see photos at this link:

https://www.allsop.co.uk/lot-overview/vacant-heritable-category-b-listed-former-nursing-home-with-potential-for-redevelopment-in-paisley/r210616-115

I’d love to see it redeveloped. Spent a few Friday nights up there in casualty. 🤕 🦴 

Edited by Albanian Buddy

4 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

The old fire station in Gordon street was featured on the BBC1 show “Homes under the hammer”

I have a feeling the guys ran out of money as it does seem to have stalled. 

Anyone heard anything more about this project?

The 2 boys are still in business in Paisley

Ah, memories of the circus making its way to the racecourse where I watched from my house at the end of Andrew Street.

Also, as I've mentioned here previously, I used to be a regular customer of Johhny Blue's barbers. 

It's not often you'll see a Camel traipsing the streets of Paisley, in fact I suspect this to be the only one that ever did !. Seen in Greenock Road as part of Billy Smarts Circus promotion parade through Paisley, on their way to the Racecourse from Greenlaw Goods Station on Renfrew Road at Wallnuek back in 1963.
Every bit as much of a memory these days would also be the shops in the background i.e. 'Johnny' Blue's Barber Shop where you climbed up onto a short plank on the seat to let him crop at your head and be rewarded with a wee ball of chewing gum, and next door, Greenock Road Galbraith's Store. The shops are now occupied by Instyle Kitchens & Bathrooms
Photo Credit : Frazer Smith

May be an image of 6 people, Bactrian camel and text

On 7/11/2023 at 6:03 PM, faraway saint said:

As part of Sky TV's 'Greatest Albums Live' series, Simple Minds have performed their breakthrough 1982 album 'New Gold Dream
(81–82–83–84)' at the stunning Paisley Abbey in Scotland.
The episode is now available to watch on NOW and On Demand and will be broadcast on Sky Arts on July 21st 2023.
Photo by Chris James

May be an image of 7 people

Watching this on sky arts just now. Takes me back to the 80s. That’s fcuking decades ago. 😮 

McAvennie was in his first spell at Saints! Life was great!

IMG_3183.thumb.jpeg.b31f05e99729a8956655d82be3c49c20.jpeg

I was hooked on this machine in Leisureland and the other arcade in Causeyside street that I can never remember. It became a cycle shop decades later. 
IMG_3181.thumb.jpeg.925ff680c29fecd27404d208a37f99aa.jpeg

On 7/20/2023 at 11:40 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

I remember Johnny blues, he was brutal. After he closed the shop was a small cafe for a while with a couple of arcade games, got pretty good at galaxian and asteroids, must have been 82/83 

The cafe was called easy eats, I spent many a 10p in that shop even though I wasn't from the area, we would walk miles to get our fix of arcade games.. and there rolls n sausage were banging too..😂.

The cafe was called easy eats, I spent many a 10p in that shop even though I wasn't from the area, we would walk miles to get our fix of arcade games.. and there rolls n sausage were banging too..[emoji23].
That's a blast from the past, I used it at lunchtime when I was at Merksworth. Microwaved pie and beans for me all mushed together to get an even temperature. [emoji1787]

21 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Watching this on sky arts just now. Takes me back to the 80s. That’s fcuking decades ago. 😮 

McAvennie was in his first spell at Saints! Life was great!

IMG_3183.thumb.jpeg.b31f05e99729a8956655d82be3c49c20.jpeg

I was hooked on this machine in Leisureland and the other arcade in Causeyside street that I can never remember. It became a cycle shop decades later. 
IMG_3181.thumb.jpeg.925ff680c29fecd27404d208a37f99aa.jpeg

The Cabaret/The Cab was the amusements on Causeyside St.