Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

Welcome to the Buddies Gary.

Lex - give it a rest you have made your point so no need to go on and on and on. Generally you are negative about most things when it comes to Saints though I know your a diehard as you attend most home and away games. Harkins has not even kicked a ball yet ffs.

I'm actually not generally negative about most things, i'm realistic but not negative. Indeed, when there were several on here predicting doom during Dundees death rattle i was one of the few voices of optimism.

You can generally make a pretty good guess about how a domestic signing will perform before he has played, with a few exceptions. There was a very similar discussion being had about Imrie when he arrived with me making similar points, i wasn't proved wrong there. Same with Robbo, Guy and Parkin.

Here's hoping Gary will be the first signing for a while to pleasantly surprise me.

Just out of curiosity what was ur guy opinion based on ?

I'm actually not generally negative about most things, i'm realistic but not negative. Indeed, when there were several on here predicting doom during Dundees death rattle i was one of the few voices of optimism.

You can generally make a pretty good guess about how a domestic signing will perform before he has played, with a few exceptions. There was a very similar discussion being had about Imrie when he arrived with me making similar points, i wasn't proved wrong there. Same with Robbo, Guy and Parkin.

Here's hoping Gary will be the first signing for a while to pleasantly surprise me.

I rate harkins and think he is a very good addition, but I always thought he would be brought in as a replacement for gowser so not sure how it will work out, to play asa left mid you need to have a great work rate, don't think harkins has that.

He is a very good user of the ball and is clever at brinining others into the game, but just have doubts over him playing as a left mid like he stated.

Good luck Gary, welcome aboard

Jeez can't you work the quote function? lol.gif:

Anyway, i was addressing the point that we need more goals from midfield next season. This we do, we are over reliant on Thompson for goal scoring. McGowan isn't a goal scoring midfielder - save for his penalties - and never has been, neither is Teale, neither is Harkins. That's why i don't understand the signing.

I can only assume he's been signed to play on the left side of a 3 behind Thompson. I'd much rather McGinn was deployed there, he had a stormer on the left at RP on the last day. He's quicker, younger and i believe better than Harkins and i think he would be very effective in a more advanced role.

If Harkins doesn't mind playing a squad role supporting McGowan and spending some time on the bench, then he will be a good signing for us. I'm not sure he'll take to well to that role however, here's what one Killie fan said about him:

Ok Lex, everybody has an opinion but you, as only you and a few can, are battering this to death. snore.gif

You've had your say, several times, and you are starting to sound as though your the type who will never change their mind about a player, and you wouldn't want to join that merry crew, would you? whistling.gif

You said domestic as In u had seen what we were getting

And just to add isma record wasn't up to much before he joined us and that worked out well same as Samson

Domestic as in not foreign. Guy wouldn't have had problems settling into a new country or with a language barrier, these are unknown variables which obviously make it harder to judge foreign signings. Isma had a decent record for a young player and had scored goals in Ligue 1 with Nice. I said he looked a great signing when he arrived.

Ok Lex, everybody has an opinion but you, as only you and a few can, are battering this to death. snore.gif

You've had your say, several times, and you are starting to sound as though your the type who will never change their mind about a player, and you wouldn't want to join that merry crew, would you? whistling.gif

You respond to something i say, then i respond to you and i'm battering it to death? lol.gif That's how forums work auld yin, if you don't want me to answer you back, don't quote me in the first place.

I have no idea what you're going on about in your next point. Never change my mind about a player? Jeez he's not even played for us yet, want me to change my mind already? I have already said several times i hope he proves me wrong. I thought Darren McGregor would be rubbish when he signed, but he changed my mind about him with his on park performances. Let's hope Gary does the same.

You respond to something i say, then i respond to you and i'm battering it to death? lol.gif That's how forums work auld yin, if you don't want me to answer you back, don't quote me in the first place.

I have no idea what you're going on about in your next point. Never change my mind about a player? Jeez he's not even played for us yet, want me to change my mind already? I have already said several times i hope he proves me wrong. I thought Darren McGregor would be rubbish when he signed, but he changed my mind about him with his on park performances. Let's hope Gary does the same.

Aye, 11 posts saying pretty much you don't rate him, spelling it out again and again then your usual attempt to smokescreen. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

I never said you WERE the type but you are beginning to sound as though you could become the type who have made your mind up. whistling.gif

Must do better. bye1.gif

Aye, 11 posts saying pretty much you don't rate him, spelling it out again and again then your usual attempt to smokescreen. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

I never said you WERE the type but you are beginning to sound as though you could become the type who have made your mind up. whistling.gif

Must do better. bye1.gif

11 posts? Are you just making things up now? lol.gif Click on ' 171 replies ' beside the thread title on the general St Mirren discussion page and that will give you a post count break down poster for poster, then get back to me bye1.gif

For our next lesson Auld Yin, would you like me to teach you how to use the quote function? lol.gif

I won't make up my mind on Harkins till the end of next season, we can look back at this thread then and see who was right wink.png

11 posts? Are you just making things up now? lol.gif Click on ' 171 replies ' beside the thread title on the general St Mirren discussion page and that will give you a post count break down poster for poster, then get back to me bye1.gif

For our next lesson Auld Yin, would you like me to teach you how to use the quote function? lol.gif

I won't make up my mind on Harkins till the end of next season, we can look back at this thread then and see who was right wink.png

Another attempt to throw a smokescreen that you've fcuking harped on and on and on.

Great, well done, you don't rate him, big fcuking deal.

Now, away and find something else to show us all how good you are. bye1.gifbye1.gifbye1.gif

PS Thanks for the tip on post counting, saves me making a bad guess. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Like when you made this post!

So you're saying they might get in touching distance but have no chance of catching us? Touching distance is way too close.

There is 27 points to play for and they are 14 points behind us. If you are 100% sure we are safe then you have considerably more confidence in the manager than I do.

AFAIK there's no transfer fee involved in this deal which was one of my two objections to the Imrie deal.

As for Robertson & Parkin, one was Div. 2 POTY and worth a gamble (still in the balance) and the other cheap & cheerful backup who left us with a LC winner's medal! Guy started well but has maybe been sussed so it's up to him & the management to work on the areas of his game that need improving, but again he's one whose tenure with us could still go either way although I'm not optimistic.

In my mind Harkins is a replacement for Imrie ,and can play as a supporting striker , central midfielder ,or on either flank , so feel that he should get a game most weeks , excellent signing , who along with the signing of McGowan might encourage a few other decent players to sign for us.

Another attempt to throw a smokescreen that you've fcuking harped on and on and on.

Great, well done, you don't rate him, big fcuking deal.

Now, away and find something else to show us all how good you are. bye1.gifbye1.gifbye1.gif

PS Thanks for the tip on post counting, saves me making a bad guess. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

You seem awful wound up auld yin. Relax, it's only a commercial. Away for a wee lie down, i'll teach you about the quote function tomorrow lol.gifbye1.gif

Like when you made this post!

AFAIK there's no transfer fee involved in this deal which was one of my two objections to the Imrie deal.

As for Robertson & Parkin, one was Div. 2 POTY and worth a gamble (still in the balance) and the other cheap & cheerful backup who left us with a LC winner's medal! Guy started well but has maybe been sussed so it's up to him & the management to work on the areas of his game that need improving, but again he's one whose tenure with us could still go either way although I'm not optimistic.

That post was made with 9 games to go. Dundees death rattle occurred post split, go and dig out quotes from after they won at SMP. I can't be bothered personally.

I never said Robbo wasn't worth a gamble, i said it was a gamble which was unlikely to pay off, and so it proved. Danny made 6 permanent signings last season, they were Adam, Smith, Robbo, Guy, Puri and Parkin. 2 of them never played ( 1 of whom has been since sacked and the other released ) and the other 4 bombed.

Robbo was so bad he was punted out on loan half way through the season. Parkin was rubbish and was rightly released. Guys attitude and dismal performances have been such that he has been told he can leave the club 1 year into a 2 year deal, i suspect he may be the next for the old ' mutual consent ' treatment. Puri got one half of football at Fir Park before being hooked off and he was never seen again.

6 permanent signings, 6 total failures, that's pretty remarkable to be honest. It gets worse though, this pattern goes further back. During the 2011/2012 seasons he made 2 permanent signings, Imrie and Haddad. You guessed it, both failures, Imrie a very expensive one at that. That's 8 failures out of his last 8 permanent signings, utterly astounding. He hasn't made a successful permanent signing since the summer of 2011 when Thommo and Teale et all arrived.

Luckily, Dannys phenomenal success in the loan market and the emergence of John McGinn superbly masked his transfer market short comings last season. When i say superbly i am of course referring to the cup win, the failures of his signings to lend support to our core players was one of the mains reasons for our disastrous SPL campaign.

Gary Harkins is Dannys 9th permanent signing since the ' summer of hope ' in 2011. Let's all hope he performs a damn sight better than the previous 8, he certainly couldn't do much worse to be fair.

Maybe I'm a half full kind of guy (no tittering at the back). But I also did not expect much Guy, Parkin or Imrie. However I think Parkin signed as back up for Tommo actually did ok. He worked hard and his link up play was good. He was actually pretty quick for a big guy and I think if he more games then he might have sharpened up a bit in front of goal. I'd certainly not be too unhappy if he stayed another year as he can't be on a big wage but danny says no. I'm fine with that.

Guy started as of he was going to take the league by storm! and then faded away. You can actually point to the exact moment, when he failed to score at Perth as when he lost confidence. Even after that he usually put a shift in even if he did have a tendency to be offside. He certainly helped make the ball stick up front more than Isma, In saying that I don't think he's really done enough although I think his work ethic contributed to Tommo's goal tally. The fight with Tommy over diving against Aberdeen is ridiculous and should have been allowed to blow over which it probably would if hadn't been the end of the season. Another one that I'm not too fussed about either way. Worth a gamble, never quite came of time for every one to move on, no harm done.

Imrie I never rated and could not see how he would work in our team. Still once he was one of us I stuck by him. Always seemed to try but lacked just that little bit of speed and or class. I think it no coincidence that he has been in a few relegated teams as he is just not quite got it. In fact I always felt relieved when Reid took Nigel off and brought on Imrie. Had some decent games but was never a first pick. Time to move on.

In short I think Parkin and Guy have done ok for free agents picked up. If Imrie had been a free agent I suspect most of us would think so to.

That post was made with 9 games to go. Dundees death rattle occurred post split, go and dig out quotes from after they won at SMP. I can't be bothered personally.

It doesn't really matter when you wobbled, just that you did. You're arguing one point with faraway and forgot you'd argued the opposite with me - Janus!

I never said Robbo wasn't worth a gamble, i said it was a gamble which was unlikely to pay off, and so it proved. Danny made 6 permanent signings last season, they were Adam, Smith, Robbo, Guy, Puri and Parkin. 2 of them never played ( 1 of whom has been since sacked and the other released ) and the other 4 bombed.

Robbo was so bad he was punted out on loan half way through the season. Parkin was rubbish and was rightly released. Guys attitude and dismal performances have been such that he has been told he can leave the club 1 year into a 2 year deal, i suspect he may be the next for the old ' mutual consent ' treatment. Puri got one half of football at Fir Park before being hooked off and he was never seen again.

6 permanent signings, 6 total failures, that's pretty remarkable to be honest. It gets worse though, this pattern goes further back. During the 2011/2012 seasons he made 2 permanent signings, Imrie and Haddad. You guessed it, both failures, Imrie a very expensive one at that. That's 8 failures out of his last 8 permanent signings, utterly astounding. He hasn't made a successful permanent signing since the summer of 2011 when Thommo and Teale et all arrived.

Luckily, Dannys phenomenal success in the loan market and the emergence of John McGinn superbly masked his transfer market short comings last season. When i say superbly i am of course referring to the cup win, the failures of his signings to lend support to our core players was one of the mains reasons for our disastrous SPL campaign.

Gary Harkins is Dannys 9th permanent signing since the ' summer of hope ' in 2011. Let's all hope he performs a damn sight better than the previous 8, he certainly couldn't do much worse to be fair.

What I'm saying is that different players are signed for different amounts of money and with different expectations to try and judge them all be the same standards is folly.