Jack Smith

Edinbuddie

We can,t keep every promising youngster ,and we have to make decisions on who is going to make the grade and who isn,t ,and sometimes we will make mistakes ,or the player who is knocked back will buckle down and prove us wrong , Dougie Bell in 1979 and Stuart Munro roundabout 1983 were the only two times I can remember us getting it wrong.

If we kept every promising youngster we would have a squad of 47 players with potential taking up our playing budget and very average first eleven.

We can,t keep every promising youngster ,and we have to make decisions on who is going to make the grade and who isn,t ,and sometimes we will make mistakes ,or the player who is knocked back will buckle down and prove us wrong , Dougie Bell in 1979 and Stuart Munro roundabout 1983 were the only two times I can remember us getting it wrong.

If we kept every promising youngster we would have a squad of 47 players with potential taking up our playing budget and very average first eleven.

Exactly. You can't keep them all and you can't guarantee one won't get through the net.

Happens on a very rare basis though.

Rick McD had to go back to the 70's to find a good example.

That tells you something.

I think Jack Smith is still too much of a lightweight but maybe he'll be a late developer. His dad certainly didn't lack bulk.

Then again, sometimes youngsters are let go too early and you can end up getting bitten on the bum.

From Wikipedia,

McCoist's first professional club was St. Johnstone, having signed from Fir Park Boys Club in 1978. McCoist had trained with St. Mirren as a 16-year-old but was rejected by manager Alex Ferguson for being "too small".

I think Jack Smith is still too much of a lightweight but maybe he'll be a late developer. His dad certainly didn't lack bulk.

Then again, sometimes youngsters are let go too early and you can end up getting bitten on the bum.

From Wikipedia,

McCoist's first professional club was St. Johnstone, having signed from Fir Park Boys Club in 1978. McCoist had trained with St. Mirren as a 16-year-old but was rejected by manager Alex Ferguson for being "too small".

Again you are quite correct BUT the fact that you are having to go back to the 70's to find an example tells you we're not doing too badly.

BTW you are completely discounting the effect being rejected had on McCoist's progress.

You are assuming he'd have made the grade anyway.

No guarantee of that.

Maybe rejection gave him the boot in the baws he needed.

If the post about him being offered another youth contract is true, then it seems pretty straight forward. In the last 8 months or so, he's watched as Reilly, McGinn, Yaqub and Brady all sign professional deals, he clearly feels he deserves to sign on full time too and would rather take his chances elsewhere if he's not going to get the chance to do so. I haven't seen him enough to comment properly, but I have to say I've heard nothing but good things about him. Hopefully he, or the club, has a change of heart.

Sounds like this nonentity is this summers McShane type figure, where various posters shed salt tears over this wunderkind that no f**ker ever saw play and who wasn't even deemed worth a pro contract.

How's McShane doing after he dropped down a level anyway? Haven't heard much about him.

Sounds like this nonentity is this summers McShane type figure, where various posters shed salt tears over this wunderkind that no f**ker ever saw play and who wasn't even deemed worth a pro contract.

How's McShane doing after he dropped down a level anyway? Haven't heard much about him.

He's been injued all season.

Has scored 24 goals in 40-ish appearances but none for Saints.

I was offered 15 pence a match, half a pie and cup of tea at half time to be a St Mirren Ballboy in the 72/73 Season.

I accepted with no hesitation.

See the young yins nowadays ...............

Overpaid for doing fcuk all, nae wonder our club lost money all them years ago.

Club were doing fine with our Part time Squad.

Even humped the Blue Vermin ( deceased ) at Shitbrox.

When I joined this discussion I'd forgotten he was the lad involved.but it wouldn't have made any difference. Young lads do stupid things, maybe more so if Daddy is involved. I've never seen the boy play but most of what I read was encouraging and when he turned down our offer, some of our guys who have seen him thought it was a mistake. I made the point that losing a really good prospect by being hidebound about wages was short sighted. Now that he's going it turns out he wasn't all that good anyway and he had bad attitude. Fairy nuff. I never even hinted that exceptions should be made regularly and some of those who struggle with written English said we would end up with dozens of boys who won't even be playing. Dearie, dearie me! Anyway, perhaps the reasons for the boy going are complex.

When I joined this discussion I'd forgotten he was the lad involved.but it wouldn't have made any difference. Young lads do stupid things, maybe more so if Daddy is involved. I've never seen the boy play but most of what I read was encouraging and when he turned down our offer, some of our guys who have seen him thought it was a mistake. I made the point that losing a really good prospect by being hidebound about wages was short sighted. Now that he's going it turns out he wasn't all that good anyway and he had bad attitude. Fairy nuff. I never even hinted that exceptions should be made regularly and some of those who struggle with written English said we would end up with dozens of boys who won't even be playing. Dearie, dearie me! Anyway, perhaps the reasons for the boy going are complex.

Very complex......he's no good enough.

I was really talking about the wage offered...that may have been soured? Just a thought.

Maybe. But according to that article the boys were on £85 a week. If he is now being offered £120 a week surely that is a good increase?