Ross County V St Mirren 24//8/13 League

shull

To be fair, Terry Butcher was for giving his players a fish supper yesterday, and there was even talk of curry sauce! I think the difference is in perception - most people will believe his players deserved a treat yesterday.

I just don't really think professional sportsmen should be scoffing pizza, chips, anything like that!

I watched Andy Murray's documentary recently, and he talked about his diet these days, and was almost laughing at himself for what he used to eat. It's just one of the changes he made to make himself as successful as he now is.

Sportsmen, if they want to be the best, should be careful about what they eat, at all times.

Thompson would immediately stop the fannying about possession game. Things would turn around immediately. Lennon & Craig can't backtrack on their tactics. They are in too deep. It can only be a change of manager that will break the circle.

Steven Thompson will be the new manager. Its written in the stars!

At the start of his tenure Danny Lennon came in trying to play attractive football and used 26 players in his first 10 games IIRC he then bit the bullet and went into shitfest mode for the rest of that season, I really think the time has come for him to go back to basics again - win ugly Danny but most importantly win!

Thompson would immediately stop the fannying about possession game. Things would turn around immediately. Lennon & Craig can't backtrack on their tactics. They are in too deep. It can only be a change of manager that will break the circle.

Steven Thompson will be the new manager. Its written in the stars!

Are you Steven's missus?

Probably not, as she would have more sense than want her man to be the manager.

Personally I think Thommo would be far too intelligent to take this poisoned chalice for his first stint at management (if it was to become available to him), especially if it was a player/manager role. Just look at some of the comments about players, (the Estonian striker thread is a very good example of a potential target being slated before anyone even reveals a name just because he's Estonian, on trial and probably someone has slated him for being ginger) to see how quickly our fans can turn on someone before they've even had a proper chance. Thommo will know that if he wants to be a successful manager his best bet is to leave Saints and learn the trade somewhere there would be a lot less pressure on him.

Rubbish. Do you really think saints fans as a group are any different to any others? Every fanbase has supporters who whinge and moan about everything, as well as supporters who whinge and moan about the moaners as if we're the only club anywhere who has them.

Anyway, St. Mirren would be an extremely attractive proposition to any new manager. We have good players and are currently underperforming. If Thommo could call in a few favours and get us a couple of new players, sort the tactical mess we are currently in and get the players confidence up he could do really well.

I was at the game yesterday we were dreadful Cornell had no chance with any of the goals for a start he made a great save for the pen and not 1 defender was there to help him out a few daddy's in the crowd shouting abide at thommo who gave as good as he got to be honest he's no lone striker and can't do it on his own we have to many passengers in the team and as for the manager to say he took positives out of the game is unbelievable he has lost the dressing room and losing fans every week 10 hour round trip for that leaves me with nothing but anger IT'S TIME TO GO DANNY thanks for the 17th of march I will never forget it but as for our bread and butter he knows its time he heard it yesterday hence why he hid in the dugout all game ......

Rubbish. Do you really think saints fans as a group are any different to any others? Every fanbase has supporters who whinge and moan about everything, as well as supporters who whinge and moan about the moaners as if we're the only club anywhere who has them.

Anyway, St. Mirren would be an extremely attractive proposition to any new manager. We have good players and are currently underperforming. If Thommo could call in a few favours and get us a couple of new players, sort the tactical mess we are currently in and get the players confidence up he could do really well.

I don;t give a shit about any other club and their fans. I have given examples of St Mirren supporters moaning about players who aren't even playing, there's plenty other examples I could have mentioned about certain players being slated for a bad pass when it was someone entirely different who made the pass. We have some fans who would find something to moan about if we were to win 9-0.

As for Saint Mirren being an attractive proposition ? There would be plenty of applications and the like of Calderwood, McCall, Jefferies,etc would take one look at the money and walk away. Houston left Dundee Utd because they wanted him to take a wage cut so he would be a non starter. Thommo has absolutely no managerial experience and would find it extremely difficult going from one of the boys to their manager especially as we would need him to be a player/manager. But most importantly I don't believe the board will sack Danny, they have stuck by managers in the past who have had much worse spells and if they're not backing the manager by making transfer funds available or the funds are simply not available for other reasons they are hardly likely to want to pay off his contract

I was at the game yesterday we were dreadful Cornell had no chance with any of the goals for a start he made a great save for the pen and not 1 defender was there to help him out a few daddy's in the crowd shouting abide at thommo who gave as good as he got to be honest he's no lone striker and can't do it on his own we have to many passengers in the team and as for the manager to say he took positives out of the game is unbelievable he has lost the dressing room and losing fans every week 10 hour round trip for that leaves me with nothing but anger IT'S TIME TO GO DANNY thanks for the 17th of march I will never forget it but as for our bread and butter he knows its time he heard it yesterday hence why he hid in the dugout all game ......

Why did you leave all your full stops till the end?

The talk about funds not being available make you wonder where the money has gone. We sold our stadium to Tesco so we were basically debt free, we have been an SPL club now for 6 seasons and in that time have had a couple of decent cup runs culminating in last seasons cup win all bringing extra revenue to the club, we don't spend money on players and don't run with a very big squad of players who are paid well below your average SPL player.

So it does make you wonder where the money is going and what's going on at the club.

I don;t give a shit about any other club and their fans. I have given examples of St Mirren supporters moaning about players who aren't even playing, there's plenty other examples I could have mentioned about certain players being slated for a bad pass when it was someone entirely different who made the pass. We have some fans who would find something to moan about if we were to win 9-0.

As for Saint Mirren being an attractive proposition ? There would be plenty of applications and the like of Calderwood, McCall, Jefferies,etc would take one look at the money and walk away. Houston left Dundee Utd because they wanted him to take a wage cut so he would be a non starter. Thommo has absolutely no managerial experience and would find it extremely difficult going from one of the boys to their manager especially as we would need him to be a player/manager. But most importantly I don't believe the board will sack Danny, they have stuck by managers in the past who have had much worse spells and if they're not backing the manager by making transfer funds available or the funds are simply not available for other reasons they are hardly likely to want to pay off his contract

Who is talking about guys like Calderwood, Jefferies etc? You said Thommo wouldn't take "the poisoned chalice" because our fans whinge too much and should go to some other club. I pointed out why, if Thommo was interested in a managerial career, the job would be attractive to him, or anyone else in a similar position.

Cornell was the only player near a pass mark today for me.

Saved the penalty, and was badly let down by his team mates for the goals, and they continued the trend from Inverness of playing short backpasses, they look like they have no confidence in him, but they certainly aren't helping him.

He was comfortable with the ball at his feet, and had no chance with any of the goals.

I don't know about that. He gave the ball away needlessly at least twice from goal kicks and when he had the ball in his hands, one of which nearly resulted in us conceding another goal.

He certainly can't be blamed for any of the goals, and he was nowhere near our worst player, but he is a poor keeper and probably the worst i've ever seen in a Saints jersey in the top flight.

Whilst openly admitting to be a 'Happy Clapper' I think you've quite rightly pointed out a number of deficiencies from today's performance. Constructive and reasoned discussion is the way forward. This thread unfortunately is full of abuse, rightly or wrongly, without the discourse you've thankfully provided.

The paying customer is allowed have opinions, and should be free and encouraged to voice them. Simply voicing disgust without qualification is tiresome.

On your points Lex, was Harkins hooked because of the lack of defensive commitment? The commentary on the radio voice bemusement at his withdrawal, but your comments would certainly explain it. As for the lack of attention after the penalty save, I think even Billy Dodds voiced his surprise at nobody reacting to support the keeper...

Lack of commitment to the jersey is inexcusable and is very worrying. You quite rightly point out that the blame does lie somewhere.

Unlike you I have openly admired Danny's performance as our manager. However, it has been qualified more recently with poor performances, by whether there is a longterm plan for the club under his leadership. Like others I think the club should be open with the fans about our 5-10 year plan. If Danny is working on a much tighter budget then we should be told. I know why we're not in case season ticket sales fall etc but at least it would allow us to make a reasoned and informed decision on current performances.

I'm desperately trying not to be an apologist, but even as a 'Happy Clapper' and a fan of Danny, performances and especially team effort needs to improve.

Certainly the Kilmarnock game was reasonable but the defensive frailties that haven't been addressed cost us dear. As for both trips to the Highlands it sounds like we've capitulated twice without any fight.

I wish I knew the answer. I hope it doesn't take Danny leaving or being sacked, but unless there is a long term plan behind the scenes things have to improve soon.

I said after the cup win that Danny had a earned period of grace to get our league form right, coming on for 6 months later that period is very nearly coming to an end. We needed a good start this season after our dreadful end to last term, and we haven't got it. The squad now is considerably worse than the one that finished 11th and Danny must shoulder at least some of the blame for that.

The balance of the squad is all wrong, we have too many central defenders, too many midfielders and not enough strikers or wide players. This is the managers fault. He can blame the budget for lack of quantity and quality but he can't blame it for the lack of balance.

Our best player is Paul McGowan, but he is being played in the wrong position accommodate a lazy show pony in Harkins. Our best young player is John McGinn, yet he has played 70 minutes of football in 3 games, to accommodate a lazy show pony in Harkins.

A midfield of:

McLean-Newton

Teale-McGowan-McGinn

Looks good to me. Kenny is coming back to his best form and could compliment Newton in the deep role, freeing up Gowser to get forward and dictate play in the final third, as he is so good at doing.

Instead we are going with:

Newton-McGowan

Teale-Harkins-McLean

Thus nullifying McGowan and McLeans effectiveness by playing them out of position and nullifying the creative talents of McGinn by not playing him at all. I'm glad Danny picked up on the ' lazy defending ' and 'lack of concentration' from him yesterday without naming him, and i'm glad he hooked him right after the third goal was conceded. I hope he never plays for us again.

Here's some quotes from a Ross County supporter from PNB, he runs Tell him its Pele i believe, he gets it spot on:

County with 4-1-4-1 against St Mirren's bog-standard 4-4-2 (Harkins played really high) left Richard Brittain as the spare midfielder. Within five minutes Brittain had two free shots on goal from 25 yards, and although St Mirren had a bit of the ball until that point, County pushed up the pitch and didn't recede until they were 2-0 up. Danny Lennon is not only guilty of not doing his homework, but from not learning anything from the 1-4 defeat in January. Back then, I was assured (I don't remember by whom) that the 1-4 was a freak result, but the same weaknesses are there in the St Mirren first team: they can't handle the press in their own half and play too many slack passes from defence.

Brittain's second goal came from a shortish corner to Brittain at the edge of the box. Harkins was day-dreaming on the same flank from a corner on the same side about 10 minutes earlier, with Brittain charging to the box un-marked. The first time, Carey just crossed in and I guess that Brittain made sure to look out for it again - Harkins switched off for the second time in the row and Brttain was free to score.

I can't remember the last time I heard away fans booing in Dingwall before today.

Edited by Lex

The talk about funds not being available make you wonder where the money has gone. We sold our stadium to Tesco so we were basically debt free, we have been an SPL club now for 6 seasons and in that time have had a couple of decent cup runs culminating in last seasons cup win all bringing extra revenue to the club, we don't spend money on players and don't run with a very big squad of players who are paid well below your average SPL player.

So it does make you wonder where the money is going and what's going on at the club.

In the current edition of Black & White magazine there's an article on money in football. Brian Caldwell is interviewed and talks about how the club "are required to submit yearly accounts and cash projections for the coming year to the SFA's Finance Department".

It goes on to say that football finances can be difficult to predict, and the example he gives is that "...winning a cup can blow the projection completely out of the water, but in a good way!"

So, given that statement, WHY do we seem to be operating with less than last season? WHY, when we were told DL would have a bigger budget to use this season, does he appear to be operating with less than last season? What's changed?

In the current edition of Black & White magazine there's an article on money in football. Brian Caldwell is interviewed and talks about how the club "are required to submit yearly accounts and cash projections for the coming year to the SFA's Finance Department".

It goes on to say that football finances can be difficult to predict, and the example he gives is that "...winning a cup can blow the projection completely out of the water, but in a good way!"

So, given that statement, WHY do we seem to be operating with less than last season? WHY, when we were told DL would have a bigger budget to use this season, does he appear to be operating with less than last season? What's changed?

You could almost get the impression that being debt free is a position that is maybe a bit more attractive to would be buyers .whistling.gif

Edited by linwood buddie

Simple, the board lost confidence with Danny after the cup final when we ended up depending on other teams to relegate Dundee, dispite being 12points clear of them before the split, he then offloaded players still under contract, who could probably have done a job for us again this season eg Carey, imrie . I think the board don't want to spend in case Danny isn't the manager at Xmas . However I hope he proves me wrong, but to be honest I don't think he will.

We've no idea how much it cost to pay players off, keep Gowser and bring in Harkins. I can't even remember who was out of contract/paid off. I doubt if Parkin & Samson's wages combined would get us a quality striker.

I just think there's float in there in case DL needs to go, the Board were already stung by needing to pay Gus for a year.

We've no idea how much it cost to pay players off, keep Gowser and bring in Harkins. I can't even remember who was out of contract/paid off. I doubt if Parkin & Samson's wages combined would get us a quality striker.

I just think there's float in there in case DL needs to go, the Board were already stung by needing to pay Gus for a year.

That could be the case ,but is the float a player budget ,if so the transfer window closes in a few days ,or is it to pay off DL ,good chance they would do another Gus scenario and just pay till end of his contract while on "gardening leave"

Who is talking about guys like Calderwood, Jefferies etc? You said Thommo wouldn't take "the poisoned chalice" because our fans whinge too much and should go to some other club. I pointed out why, if Thommo was interested in a managerial career, the job would be attractive to him, or anyone else in a similar position.

I said I think Thommo would be too intelligent to take the poisoned chalice. As well as the difficulty with going from one of the boys to being the gaffer (and also trying to do that while being the main striker) there would be the pressure he would be under. Yes he might get six months grace because of who he is but a few bad results would soon have the moaning starting and his managerial career could be over.

Well for one thing the SPFL still don't have a sponsor so there could be a suspicion that they will not be able to pay out the predicted prize fund.

But if a sale is close ,its still early in the season ,the club is sold on ,having no debt allows new owners [ hopefully some Arab or Russian looking for a toy] more money to invest in the squad as there is no debt to maintain .

I hear Assad from Syria will be looking to move himself, and his wealth out the country.

Having him as our new owner would be a gas.