The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Forgive me for trying to ask a serious question, the answer to which I was genuinely interested in. FFS.

And, for what it's worth, probably nothing, I did start out undecided. I'd have thought there were many in the same situation when Independence was first touted.

Yes, you are correct. I am sure there were many, you and me included.

However, you stated that when you first posted in this thread you were undecided.... pish.

You are just trying to con real undecided's into thinking you thought long and hard and have only recently made your decision, and that they too should think about the option of Devo Max that is (NOT) being offered by BT.

Yes, you are correct. I am sure there were many, you and me included.

However, you stated that when you first posted in this thread you were undecided.... pish.

You are just trying to con real undecided's into thinking you thought long and hard and have only recently made your decision, and that they too should think about the option of Devo Max that is (NOT) being offered by BT.

I first posted on here weeks ago, and was up front about why I was posting. I had been undecided, made my decision of No, and therefore joined the debate on here stating that clearly at the time on my OP.

On the whole it's been a lot of fun, with some genuine value add contributions on both sides. I think laterally there has been a feeling that the 'debate' nature of the exchanges had ended to some extent as it seemed none of the regular contributors were ever going to change, no matter what anyone said! Mostly it has still be entertaining though.

My post today was genuine. I was interested to see if the latest moves from the No camp were having any affect on a section of the forum members that I directed the post at. That was it. If I had a hidden agenda then it was even hidden from me.

I first posted on here weeks ago, and was up front about why I was posting. I had been undecided, made my decision of No, and therefore joined the debate on here stating that clearly at the time on my OP.

On the whole it's been a lot of fun, with some genuine value add contributions on both sides. I think laterally there has been a feeling that the 'debate' nature of the exchanges had ended to some extent as it seemed none of the regular contributors were ever going to change, no matter what anyone said! Mostly it has still be entertaining though.

My post today was genuine. I was interested to see if the latest moves from the No camp were having any affect on a section of the forum members that I directed the post at. That was it. If I had a hidden agenda then it was even hidden from me.

No it wasn't, it was a loaded question, just like your reply above is loaded to give the impression that you have no agenda.

Fortunately, I have every faith any undecided's that have actually read your masked plea to them to vote for No has fallen on deaf ears. Do you take them for fools?

Edited by Vambo57

from reading your post from earlier today I got the impression you were and are a NO voter. I don't believe in the better together words heading to the final line it stinks of desperation thankfully those who don't know will realise this.

Whatever happens we'll become a Region of Europe and we'll do exactly what we're told.

Supermarkets on October 20th are starting to charge 5p for carrier bags.

All to save polar bears and ordered from overpaid Euro f**kwits.

Get used to it.

Region?

Surely it's a step towards the inevitable United States of Europe?

Region?

Exactly.

And England, in the future, will be split up into European Regions.

And we will all be using the Euro instead of the Pound.

Us sooner than you think.

We've nae power, never have, never will.

AN IRRELEVANT DAFTY VOTE NEXT WEEK.

Standard life share price suffering a big fall today on the back of the yougov poll.

new business will start faltering from this point onwards and a yes vote will see a run on money from standard life

the natsi aye-holes on this thread, who quite clearly don't understand the implications of independence on a company like standard life, are getting a taste of the apocalypse that would follow

Region?

Region?

That insidious thing is more or less in place . You may just wake up to it one morning , the way you woke up one morning and it wasn't the EEC, then a few years later suddenly it was the just the EC, apparently there was a huge cost saving , dropping one of the "E's" , and then of course , by another insidious step we got , the EU. .phone.gif

Whatever happens we'll become a Region of Europe and we'll do exactly what we're told.

Supermarkets on October 20th are starting to charge 5p for carrier bags.

All to save polar bears and ordered from overpaid Euro f**kwits.

Get used to it.

i take it iceland are to blame for this,i can see hundreds of their carrier bags blowing along causeyside street every day

share prices in downfall,the much vaunted pound that people want to keep in an independent land also in downfall, all because polls show that there is a majority who will now vote yes,i thought there would be financial problems for scotland if yes won,did not expect them to start before then,but they have and this should be a warning to those who have savings,mortgages,loans to pay and also have to pay tax,having control over your own decisions is a good thing but unfortunately you have no control over what your money is worth and as shown by the facts affecting share prices and the value of the pound,you will be financially worse of if yes wins the vote.

Standard life share price suffering a big fall today on the back of the yougov poll.

new business will start faltering from this point onwards and a yes vote will see a run on money from standard life

the natsi aye-holes on this thread, who quite clearly don't understand the implications of independence on a company like standard life, are getting a taste of the apocalypse that would follow

Funnily enough, there was a recommendation from papers to buy Standard Life shares on Friday! That was largely based on the sale of a Canadian asset.

I think Standard Life, in terms of the books would be largely unaffected by independence and it will keep ticking on. Whether they retain as much operations in Scotland is more uncertain. They are such a large firm I suspect people will trust them.

Peston was speculating that certain financials may move south, but energy companies were looking north.

from reading your post from earlier today I got the impression you were and are a NO voter. I don't believe in the better together words heading to the final line it stinks of desperation thankfully those who don't know will realise this.

> from reading your post from earlier today I got the impression you were and are a NO voter

Long shot IOBS, could that possibly be due to my stating in that post from earlier today 'Given what I considered to be too many variables, unanswerable questions, gray areas and plain and simple risk, in particular financial, I decided to vote No. I have not wavered from that decision since' happy.png

> I don't believe in the better together words heading to the final line it stinks of desperation

Academics have been saying for weeks that BT should play the increased Devolution card. FFS, I even proposed it on here a couple of weeks ago. As for the timing, the polls don't close until 10pm on 18th September. If we are a pressing for a winner at Killie on Saturday with 5 minutes to go are you going to slaughter TC for modifying his tactics which would improve our chances of scoring?

No it wasn't, it was a loaded question, just like your reply above is loaded to give the impression that you have no agenda.

Fortunately, I have every faith any undecided's that have actually read your masked plea to them to vote for No has fallen on deaf ears. Do you take them for fools?

I struggled to understand your hostility Vambo. On the very first post I made on this thread weeks ago I declared myself a No voter. A couple of weeks ago on this same thread I proposed the case for more Devolution as a middle ground rather than total Independence. Earlier today I asked what I thought was a fair and topical question (given the events of the last 24 hours) as to whether any undecided voters were likely to be influenced by the No camp proposals.

On reflection, could your hostility be due to the fact that for once you had actually tasted the potential for victory, and are now raging that the Better Together camp have stopped free wheeling and have actually started looking interested? That's politics.

I struggled to understand your hostility Vambo. On the very first post I made on this thread weeks ago I declared myself a No voter. A couple of weeks ago on this same thread I proposed the case for more Devolution as a middle ground rather than total Independence. Earlier today I asked what I thought was a fair and topical question (given the events of the last 24 hours) as to whether any undecided voters were likely to be influenced by the No camp proposals.

On reflection, could your hostility be due to the fact that for once you had actually tasted the potential for victory, and are now raging that the Better Together camp have stopped free wheeling and have actually started looking interested? That's politics.

Why have they been free wheeling? Does that not make you question the motivation behind their campaign?

Whilst I accept the plan has been simply to avoid a Yes and no more, have they not been caught short by failing to demonstrate their vision of a future Scotland within the UK?

Wheeling out plans for definitive further devolution after postal voters have voted is a poor show. There may very well have been some who have already voted Yes who may have reconsidered if this had been made clear a week, a month, a year or two ago...

Whilst I respect the right of the individual to make their own mind up, if I was voting No I would be thoroughly underwhelmed and disappointed by the campaign that has been led to this point.

Why have they been free wheeling? Does that not make you question the motivation behind their campaign?

Whilst I accept the plan has been simply to avoid a Yes and no more, have they not been caught short by failing to demonstrate their vision of a future Scotland within the UK?

Wheeling out plans for definitive further devolution after postal voters have voted is a poor show. There may very well have been some who have already voted Yes who may have reconsidered if this had been made clear a week, a month, a year or two ago...

Whilst I respect the right of the individual to make their own mind up, if I was voting No I would be thoroughly underwhelmed and disappointed by the campaign that has been led to this point.

> if I was voting No I would be thoroughly underwhelmed and disappointed by the campaign that has been led to this point.

I don't think you would be alone in that thought Bart, which is one reason why it's currently neck and neck. Like much in politics it's a game of poker. Most of these guys like to hold the cards until they have to make a play. Pretty much all as bad as each other imho.

share prices in downfall,the much vaunted pound that people want to keep in an independent land also in downfall, all because polls show that there is a majority who will now vote yes,i thought there would be financial problems for scotland if yes won,did not expect them to start before then,but they have and this should be a warning to those who have savings,mortgages,loans to pay and also have to pay tax,having control over your own decisions is a good thing but unfortunately you have no control over what your money is worth and as shown by the facts affecting share prices and the value of the pound,you will be financially worse of if yes wins the vote.

Maybe if the firms affected hadn't been so over confident of a No vote and spent their time whining about all the perceived negatives of a Yes vote, then they might be better prepared and their firms would be in a position to make positive statements to the city and their shareholders,with regards to their businesses.

> from reading your post from earlier today I got the impression you were and are a NO voter

Long shot IOBS, could that possibly be due to my stating in that post from earlier today 'Given what I considered to be too many variables, unanswerable questions, gray areas and plain and simple risk, in particular financial, I decided to vote No. I have not wavered from that decision since' happy.png

> I don't believe in the better together words heading to the final line it stinks of desperation

Academics have been saying for weeks that BT should play the increased Devolution card. FFS, I even proposed it on here a couple of weeks ago. As for the timing, the polls don't close until 10pm on 18th September. If we are a pressing for a winner at Killie on Saturday with 5 minutes to go are you going to slaughter TC for modifying his tactics which would improve our chances of scoring?

Playing the devo-max card? It is still in their hand, in fact they own all the cards in that suit. Problem is, we are least looking for a king or an ace-high, but the smug bastards won't play more than a two if they can help it and will probably only offer a 3 if we hold their kids to ransom (that bit was a metaphor). And the last bit, what a laugh. this is not a normal election campaign, stalls should be set up with the offering clear from the start If there was no need for a third option 18 months ago then there is no need now. It should be an honest offering and a clear choice-not a game of brinkmanship. This is a choice of what vision of the future you trust to be best, not who you think runs the best and trickiest campaign. westminster elections are about voting for you think has lied the least, this is somewhat different

Playing the devo-max card? It is still in their hand, in fact they own all the cards in that suit. Problem is, we are least looking for a king or an ace-high, but the smug bastards won't play more than a two if they can help it and will probably only offer a 3 if we hold their kids to ransom (that bit was a metaphor). And the last bit, what a laugh. this is not a normal election campaign, stalls should be set up with the offering clear from the start If there was no need for a third option 18 months ago then there is no need now. It should be an honest offering and a clear choice-not a game of brinkmanship. This is a choice of what vision of the future you trust to be best, not who you think runs the best and trickiest campaign. westminster elections are about voting for you think has lied the least, this is somewhat different

> It should be an honest offering and a clear choice-not a game of brinkmanship.

In an ideal world I would not disagree with you at all Beyond. Unfortunately, as we all know, this is Politics. The stakes are high and anything goes. Would anyone be surprised by anything that either side does over the next 9 days?

Not checked this for factual accuracy... just read it and found it interesting.

I know the referendum is far more than party politics... but one of the biggest factors for voting YES I continually read is so that we will get the government we vote for...

with that in mind... how does this sit?

I found this very interesting, it flies in the face of the myth that we do not get the Government we vote for...... Read on......

1951 Scotland voted Tory we got a Tory Govt.
1955 Scotland voted Tory we got a Tory Govt.
1959 Scotland voted Tory we got a Tory Govt....
1964 Scotland voted Labour, however England voted Tory, we got a Labour Govt.
1966 Scotland voted Labour we got a Labour Govt.
Feb 1974 Scotland voted Labour, however England voted Tory, we got a Labour Govt.
Oct 1974 Scotland voted Labour we got a Labour Govt.

1979, 1983, 1987 & 1992 we had a Tory Govt: Thanks to the motion of No Confidence in Jim Callaghan's Labour Govt the SNP tabled. When Thatcher realised that the SNP were siding with her she then tabled her own motion for No Confidence, which took precedence of the SNP's Motion. Supported by the 11 SNP MPs her Motion of No Confidence was carried by 1 vote. The SNP are responsible for starting the Thatcher Years.

1997 Scotland voted Labour we got a Labour Govt.
2001 Scotland voted Labour we got a Labour Govt.
2005 Scotland voted Labour we got a Labour Govt.

2010 Nobody got the Govt they voted for - only 7 months to go to the next election.

In 1999, Labour delivered devolution and no one can argue that in 1997, 2003, 2007 and 2011 Scotland got it voted for.