Childhood Games

HSS

Wtf is Knifey ? A Paisley pass time ?

You and an opponent faced each other about 6ft apart and took turns at throwing a knife at each others feet. The object wasn`t to hit the foot but to aim to the side of the foot. Where the knife stuck, was where you had to place your foot. Eventually your legs got wider and wider and the first one to fall over was the loser! death.gif

Unsurprisingly, this never became an Olympic sport tongue.png

You and an opponent faced each other about 6ft apart and took turns at throwing a knife at each others feet. The object wasn`t to hit the foot but to aim to the side of the foot. Where the knife stuck, was where you had to place your foot. Eventually your legs got wider and wider and the first one to fall over was the loser! death.gif

Paisley Roulette?

thats how i remember it

Ropes, chinks, beds, balls up against the close wall (let the replies commence), british bulldog - tho can't remember exactly what it was - was there something called Polo too???? Chap door runaway, hide and seek and fitba :-)

british bulldog - two groups stood facing each other with their backs to a wall one group had to run through the other to get to the other wall without being caught ?

It's amazing how we could always find pram wheels and wood , if you were lucky some u-nails smile.png

Some crackers were made down our way...............

A double decker, not very safe but it could hold somebody on the top deck as well as the driver.

A "coffin" shaped geig, painted jet black, drew some puzzled looks.

Ah, them were the days, engineering in it's infancy. thumbup2.gif

Some crackers were made down our way...............

A double decker, not very safe but it could hold somebody on the top deck as well as the driver.

A "coffin" shaped geig, painted jet black, drew some puzzled looks.

Ah, them were the days, engineering in it's infancy. thumbup2.gif

That's excellent :)

Was always a treat if you found a wee scrap of carpet tae sit oan.

Where did we always find rope for steering ? Surely we didnae knick it off the line ?

I'm pleased to say I don't remember that 'game '

We used to do something similar with darts. The difference being, we were actually aiming to hit the other person (usually in the general leg area). I was hit in the leg, once, and had to remove the dart from my shin!

That's excellent smile.png

Was always a treat if you found a wee scrap of carpet tae sit oan.

Where did we always find rope for steering ? Surely we didnae knick it off the line ?

We used the wee hoopy bit of steel from the back of a toddler's trike, hacksaw through the tube the ran down from the saddle to the middle of the rear axle, leaving a wee circle of tube attached to the axle, through which you could hammer a nail into the wood from below, giving solid-state steering, much more positive than rope, we used to fly down Brediland Road from the bus stop at Amochrie Road, taking that big sweeping right hand bend at the bottom near the clinic. Used to scare the shit out of car and bus drivers coming up the hill as we clattered sideways (drifting?) towards them.

We used the wee hoopy bit of steel from the back of a toddler's trike, hacksaw through the tube the ran down from the saddle to the middle of the rear axle, leaving a wee circle of tube attached to the axle, through which you could hammer a nail into the wood from below, giving solid-state steering, much more positive than rope, we used to fly down Brediland Road from the bus stop at Amochrie Road, taking that big sweeping right hand bend at the bottom near the clinic. Used to scare the shit out of car and bus drivers coming up the hill as we clattered sideways (drifting?) towards them.

Later on when I lived in Tummel way ( just off Spey ave) that was a run for us as well :) happy days & good wee location for those activities ( not to mention we had the big hill for sledging in winter) :)

Quite often our hand made mode of transport couldn't handle that sharp bend near the clinic ( as the kerb/pavement will bear testament) :D

Ropes, chinks, beds, balls up against the close wall (let the replies commence), british bulldog - tho can't remember exactly what it was - was there something called Polo too???? Chap door runaway, hide and seek and fitba :-)

we had a good version of chap door runaway - we went up a close and tied the two opposing letterbox chappers together tightly then chapped both doors and ran , remember when letterboxes came with a standard part for chapping - no batteries required

I remember one man hunt. What about crosses? There was a goalkeeper and one player would cross the ball in to the striker who had to volley the ball in or head it in without the ball hitting the ground first to score. If your shot went wide or the keeper caught it, it was a goal for the keeper.

We called this ' six byes '

maybe you were posh and played actual polo ?

oh aye it was all the rage in Thruscraigs haha I have it in my head there was some kind of game and you shouted out something then the person corresponding to it had to run like they were at the bottom you at top and had to race, loser was out and so it went on...

we had a good version of chap door runaway - we went up a close and tied the two opposing letterbox chappers together tightly then chapped both doors and ran , remember when letterboxes came with a standard part for chapping - no batteries required

me and my sister got caught discussing doing the letterbox thing - I was a fearty so we didn't tho my sis used to put worms thru the neighbours letterboxes :-)

In the George St area we simply called it, 'Best Falls'.

I thought someone would mention the upgraded version of the gieg - the 'Bogie'. The difference was the addition of an wooden orange box which was nailed on the the plank with one end knocked out so you could sit in it.

The game has already been mentioned but can you tell me from which one this phrase was sung by the participants......?

'Get oot the den ya hungry hen ya poacher!'

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

I thought someone would mention the upgraded version of the gieg - the 'Bogie'. The difference was the addition of an wooden orange box which was nailed on the the plank with one end knocked out so you could sit in it.

The game has already been mentioned but can you tell me which one from this phrase which was sung by the participants......?

Hide & seek. thumbup2.gif

The game has already been mentioned but can you tell me from which one this phrase was sung by the participants......?

A kind of hardcore hide n seek called ???Buzz off??

I remember those bally bygone days in the woods, or park, or garages in Glenburn playing four to five day long games of Relievers.....

Somebody had the job of finding everyone else from their hiding places, rounding them up, but all could be released if you dared to run in and touch the post/tree.....

Bit like kick the can.....

Best game though was The Grand National..... Just like the real one there was always a decent injury by the end of the night.