Youngster In Contract Dispute

HSS

Funny thing is Kieran... You could have left at any time

Your parents witnessed and presumably approved your contract

And now you are trying to pull a fast one so A.N. Other club can pick you up for free!

Heres the deal saints release you from your contract, you pay ten years worth of coaching, training, medical and mentoring costs.... Deal?

Club absolutely in the right here.

Should they let him go for nothing to 'study' like they did with Paul McGinn? Then see him at St Mirren Park a couple of years later playing for another top flight club?

Absolutely f**king not.

I suspect he has no chance with this legal challenge. If he does win then every club in Scotland might aswell rip up every young player contract.

Agree with the above. The only reservation I have is regarding the £1 earnings (that he claims was never paid) - if it's true then it is a bit scandalous but I expect that it probably isn't the full story.

As with most players contracts, his will be bonus/appearance related.

The reason he is getting £1 a week will be because he isn't going to training or playing for the u20's. Had he been, he would obviously be earning a lot more.

Having a £1 a week clause if players go AWOL is simply to protect the club and is common sense.

I agree that it is common sense to have a clause like that but is he not claiming that he was getting £1 even when he was turning up? It is Record journalism right enough, I suppose you have to decipher it like a Dicko post.

One things for sure, by going to the Record and letting them do a number on his side if events the A. N. Or any Other club he wants to sign for haven,t a hope of getting him now without paying the compo saints are due.

So nice one Kieran you've done tbe club a turn there lad.

Club absolutely in the right here.

Should they let him go for nothing to 'study' like they did with Paul McGinn? Then see him at St Mirren Park a couple of years later playing for another top flight club?

Absolutely f**king not.

I suspect he has no chance with this legal challenge. If he does win then every club in Scotland might aswell rip up every young player contract.

I always wondered what happened to Kieran doran?

Not quite the same thing with Paul McGinn, he came to us after his studies and only left because we wouldn't pay him enough and he didn't get on with Danny.

He's obviously not doing it to get a free move to another club. I don't know him but from reports he is a very intelligent guy who always had uni in mind.

He was also considered to be a future star and has similarities with John McGinn so you can understand why the club would be a bit annoyed.

If he does want to just play uni football or part time, why can the club not just loan him out to a club of their choice for the remainder of his contract? Would be a gesture of goodwill and if he does choose to go back to full time football, it could help persuade him to come back to us. The alternative is to freeze him out and he leaves at the end of his contract anyway - but with zero chance of ever playing for us in the future.

It does seem a bit late for him to decide now though to go to uni, the time was obviously when he signed his contract. The club would want to protect the integrity of the contract but there must be some workaround?

Agree with the above. The only reservation I have is regarding the £1 earnings (that he claims was never paid) - if it's true then it is a bit scandalous but I expect that it probably isn't the full story.

i imagine he hoped to be allowed to just slip away and get a deal as a part-timer after the window shut as an unsigned player. If the club suspects that he is ready to sign another deal that they think they can benefit from, then all they have to do to make this action go away is pay him the £2.73 an hour for as many hours as the rate legally applies. That keeps him a saints player and anyone who wants him has to pay up.

it could well be that the rate does not legally apply to any time not already paid, or worst case we need to fork out a few hundred to keep his registration.

seems to me that the kid has benefitted from a development deal that would get him a really good chance of part-time football and a decent wage on the side to see him towards his real ambition of studying for his medical degree-with the chance that his career could catch light and that he could rake it in as a foorballer and he could always return to study later in life. It's great to have strategy that covers a two-way bet on your future, but you really need to only sign deals in the good faith that both parties will honour for the full term of the contract. Saints can't afford to spend tens of thousands developing players for Dumbarton, etc.

If the basics of the story is true then personally I can't understand why his contract was not ripped up. As for £1.00 a week if this goes to court Saints will lose and probably be hit with a hefty fine.

Should never have went this far and the publicity it's creating is bad news for the club. If I was a parent who son had a chance to come to St Mirren I would very much have my doubts.

If the basics of the story is true then personally I can't understand why his contract was not ripped up. As for £1.00 a week if this goes to court Saints will lose and probably be hit with a hefty fine.Should never have went this far and the publicity it's creating is bad news for the club. If I was a parent who son had a chance to come to St Mirren I would very much have my doubts.

You do realise he was effectively playing for one of our youth teams?

How many youth team players are paid a wage? Even Dicko would struggle with that.

He and his parents were offered a contract which basically guarantees if you are picked to play so many games for the U20's i.e (first team squad) then you'll be offered a full time contract.

This Lad has broken the agreement, and is now trying to swing it in his favour and whichever club has tapped him up. Why didn't the club concerned approach SMFC to discuss terms? Al they have done is hang this lad out to dry by suggesting he take his story to the Record. Who will take him on now he's damaged goods?

He should be careful what he wishes for.

How many youth team players are paid a wage? Even Dicko would struggle with that.

He and his parents were offered a contract which basically guarantees if you are picked to play so many games for the U20's i.e (first team squad) then you'll be offered a full time contract.

This Lad has broken the agreement, and is now trying to swing it in his favour and whichever club has tapped him up. Why didn't the club concerned approach SMFC to discuss terms? Al they have done is hang this lad out to dry by suggesting he take his story to the Record. Who will take him on now he's damaged goods?

It does not matter how many youth players are paid a wage or not. He was and if true £1.00 is below the legal wage. The law is the law , as I wrote if this goes to court then our club will be proved guilty for not meeting the minimum wage which will be costly for the club. They will have to pay all legal fees and suffer a fine for not paying the minimum that's the bottom line.

It does not matter how many youth players are paid a wage or not. He was and if true £1.00 is below the legal wage. The law is the law , as I wrote if this goes to court then our club will be proved guilty for not meeting the minimum wage which will be costly for the club. They will have to pay all legal fees and suffer a fine for not paying the minimum that's the bottom line.

I would think if his legal team were so confident of victory then the last thing they would want, for now, is to go to the papers..........more likely they are trying to embarrass the club into letting him go.

IoBS, these things aren't always cut and dried and I'm guessing you haven't seen a copy of his contract, if you have then I stand corrected.

I would think if his legal team were so confident of victory then the last thing they would want, for now, is to go to the papers..........more likely they are trying to embarrass the club into letting him go.

IoBS, these things aren't always cut and dried and I'm guessing you haven't seen a copy of his contract, if you have then I stand corrected.

Not seen his contract and don't need to if what is being wrote is true, signed or not signed contract. You can't beat the law when the law states what a minimum should be set at. Sounds like the parents have went to lawyers. Lawyers will dig their teeth into this make no mistake. If lawyers can make a buck from this they will go all the way and I suggest it is giving the publicity.

Edit

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Nothing for the club to worry about IMO , most Scottish club youth systems are run the same way. The players get their expenses and all their gear free of charge. It's a bit like Junior Football ie Semi-professional , until the youngsters are of age to sign a full pro contract. It's all legal , if it wasn't thee would be a queue a mile long of young players families wanting to take clubs to court !

Overpaid so he is.

I got paid 15p a match as a Ballboy in the 72/73 season.

Hard work chasing Sandy Clelland's clearances aw afternoon.

The half a pie at half time was a welcome bonus.

Edited by shull

Are we breaking the minimum wage law by not paying the rest of the u17s and u16s

the law is the law according to isle of bute saint lol.gif:

are st Mirren guilty of slave labour by not paying every kid in our youth system?

Are we breaking the minimum wage law by not paying the rest of the u17s and u16s

the law is the law according to isle of bute saint lol.gif:

are st Mirren guilty of slave labour by not paying every kid in our youth system?

Good to see you can laugh at your own jokes.

According to the press his contract said he will be paid £1.00 a week correct ? Now I'm led to believe being paid is a wage correct. The law of the land has a minimum wage set correct. It's not rocket science.

Nothing for the club to worry about IMO , most Scottish club youth systems are run the same way. The players get their expenses and all their gear free of charge. It's a bit like Junior Football ie Semi-professional , until the youngsters are of age to sign a full pro contract. It's all legal , if it wasn't thee would be a queue a mile long of young players families wanting to take clubs to court !

That's what I'm reading in the article Billy this could have repercussions for the rest of football if it goes to court , bosman springs to mind .

Good to see you can laugh at your own jokes.

According to the press his contract said he will be paid £1.00 a week correct ? Now I'm led to believe being paid is a wage correct. The law of the land has a minimum wage set correct. It's not rocket science.

So does that mean that ALL the other players in the U17s should also be paid? Are we breaking the law by not paying them as well?

After all, the law of the land has a minimum wage set correct. Its not rocket science...