Action Needed

Don't mind if it's not a knight in shining armour that takes over from the 'gang of 5', just someone or a group of people with some energy, enthusiasm, vision, ambition, determination and such like - all things the current shower are lacking.

History will judge the period from the ground move to present along with the financial implosion & struggle/relegation of 3 of the 5 biggest clubs in the country as a missed opportunity. Inverness, St Johnstone, Partick and now Hamilton have all been promoted after our last title and gone shooting past us up the league. The blame starts at the top and works down from there.

Like most of the posts/posters on this thread I just can't build up any real anger anymore just apathy, resignation, self-pity and helplessness.

It is indeed an utterly pish state of affairs.

At this point it's impossible to see what action we, as fans, can take. SG etc did a great job of keeping the club afloat, but I don't think they paid for all our tickets or bought all the merchandise over that period. As a collective, we do deserve a voice and proper representation. Is the Fans Council that vehicle? I'm not sure as it seemed to be looking at the smaller things and the nice extras, as opposed to understanding the books and looking at options. We are, at least, apparently running evenish so maybe fresh eyes/minds could see a way forward. Then again, from my experience elsewhere, maybe someone wouldn't want the "this 10K going out each month, what is it?" style questions.

I don't think anyone could argue that, over the piece, the BoD have done a great job for the club. In fact, they probably saved us from oblivion.

However, since they made it clear that they want out, there has been a serious downward spiral (League Cup joy aside). They seem to have lost all drive and ambition - not surprising, after such a long time in the job - and are probably disillusioned at not being able to sell the club, despite having brought it to a relatively stable position - no debt, nice new ground, great training facilities, etc.

That's where the current problems begin. We need the BoD to be ambitious, to want to drive the club forwards. If they don't want to do it, then they need to cut their losses and stop holding out for what now seems as an unrealistic price. Let someone else take the reins, because the club is dying on its feet. You think the price being offered is not enough now? Wait till we're relegated and see what's on the table then.

I'm right in saying that the club went up for sale in 2009?

Since then we have reached two major finals, won a major title, and then set and then matched a 25 year record high league position.

Since the club went up for sale the 5 years following have - without doubt - been the most successful in the clubs recent history.

Since then we have reached two major finals, won a major title, and then set and then matched a 25 year record high league position.

Since the club went up for sale the 5 years following have - without doubt - been the most successful in the clubs recent history.

Yes, on the pitch it has been successful in the main.

Has it been off the park though? Don't know, not a shareholder or close enough to the business side.

Major title? What was that again?

Ah I see what you've done.

Edited by saint in exile

And you were absolutely desperate for the manager who won the major title and match the 25 year record to be punted.

So, if they achievements can be written off in Lennons case how long can the BoD live off them??

OK , lets look on the bright side.

If things continue as they are ..... we`ve got 4 renfrewshire derbies to look forward to (as long as the manky mob dont f**k up) & a couple of decent away days to Dumfries & Kirkcaldy !

See, its not all bad !! whistling.gifnologo.gif

Don't forget the cheaper Season Tiickets!

And you were absolutely desperate for the manager who won the major title and match the 25 year record to be punted.

So, if they achievements can be written off in Lennons case how long can the BoD live off them??

I gave detailed reasons at the time for me wanting Danny's departure, and I was hardly in the minority.

When did I suggest that those achievements should be written off? Of course they shouldn't be, these last 5 years have been relatively fantastic. These achievements should be and are lauded.

I've been watching St Mirren for about 20 years or so. Between the early nineties and 2005 we had one good season (99/2000), the rest was absolutely brutal. We spent most of that time in the bottom half of the second tier with regular relegation battles to keep us out the third tier.

Compared to those days, this is a stroll in the park.

I'm far from a business expert, but could the BoD not create a CE post and appoint someone with drive and enthusiasm to push the club forward? It would allow them to take a relative back seat, and let someone else get on with the day to day running of the club.

Dermot Desmond and Tom Farmer to name a couple of owners take this approach.

Whoever was running the club on a day-to-day basis would need the authority to make decisions especially involving spending some money in a speculate to accumulate way e.g. advertising the facilities we have for hire.

I gave detailed reasons at the time for me wanting Danny's departure, and I was hardly in the minority.

When did I suggest that those achievements should be written off? Of course they shouldn't be, these last 5 years have been relatively fantastic. These achievements should be and are lauded.

I've been watching St Mirren for about 20 years or so. Between the early nineties and 2005 we had one good season (99/2000), the rest was absolutely brutal. We spent most of that time in the bottom half of the second tier with regular relegation battles to keep us out the third tier.

Compared to those days, this is a stroll in the park.

I supported the club through that period as well, and none of us have any no wish to go back to those days. However, if things continue as they are, there's a good chance that we'll be heading down to the Championship for next season, with all the cost cutting to office and coaching staff, and player squad that involves.

Davie Hay thought he'd keep us up, John Coughlin thought he could turns things around, football people seem to have a faith in their own ability that others struggle to understand or see any evidence to back it up. So when Tommy Craig says that he's working hard to change things, and that he's just waiting for injured players to return, I look at his reported career managerial stats of P35 W5 D5 L25, and wonder where his faith in his ability as a manager comes from?

Dermot Desmond and Tom Farmer to name a couple of owners take this approach.

Whoever was running the club on a day-to-day basis would need the authority to make decisions especially involving spending some money in a speculate to accumulate way e.g. advertising the facilities we have for hire.

I thought Brian Caldwell was already in place as CEO

I think there were genuine splits of opinion at the end of both Gus and Danny's reign as manager.

Both those managers could boast tangible success during their time in charge.

Gus took us from first division also rans to champions within 2 seasons and then established us in the top flight with reasonable cup success in the shape of two quarter finals, a semi final and the final we don't talk about. I really rated him, but his relationship with the fans was frosty at best and he was given more resources than any other Saints manager in recent times. We still went on long winless runs during his time as gaffer and we stayed up by the skin of our teeth sometimes.

Danny came in and it's fair to say his first season was an abject disaster, completely under estimating what was required in the premier league. He could easily have been punted in that season but we managed to just about survive and the next couple of seasons were pretty enjoyable with the cup win being the pinnacle. Operating on a smaller budget he did fairly well and he brought through a number of young players. Again though we constantly struggled in the league and went on long winless runs.

I don't sense much of a split in opinion when it comes to Tommy Craig,

Tommy has had a disasterous start as manager, I don't think anyone could seriously defend his record given the poor performances we have had to endure, the lack of goals, the horrendous defensive mistakes and the plain downright shambolic nature of his team selections and substitutions.

In his defence he has had a lot of injury concerns to deal with, but aside from the very first game of the season away at Motherwell I have yet to see us turn in a decent 90 minute performance under his management.

I think he will probably be given until the end of the year to try and turn it around as there appears to be sympathy in the boardroom about that injury situation but I guess the situation is fluid. A shocking turnout on Saturday coupled with a heavy defeat by ICT might accelerate things, as might any imminent deal to sell the club.

It's all thoroughly depressing.

Div. I take on board your comments. But all those injured players apart from Thommo have already featured this season. Don't doubt Tommy's coaching ability but we all know managing is totally different. I am led to believe his coaching methods are not suited to the modern game. There is no defence here his time us well and truly expired and his post match interview last Saturday left me horrified. It will be a stormy meeting tomorrow.

I am not going on Saturday. But its not a boycott as I do not have any anger for it to be a boycott. Its just that I do not enjoy watching the team at the moment as I have little hope in any game that we will get anything at all from the match. I have a resignation that things are bad with little sign of improvement so am not shelling out to have another miserable afternoon.

A few weeks ago I got dates mixed up and agreed to climb Ben Lomond with a friend who had always wanted to climb a Munro. And because of my mix-up I missed the Ross County game. I spent the day in torrential rain and 70mph winds on the summit in preference to watching a game. And I preferred being on Ben Lomond than missing our only home point this season. That about says it all really.

I'll still turn up with my ST for home games if I do not have any better alternatives but no more away games and I am not paying out any more until something changes for the better.