Celtic Will Make An Offer For John Mcginn

Whiteman captures my thoughts perfectly .....we are a bit of a joke re cashing on on on limited talent compared to our peers !....

It's looking so bad now we canny expect young talent to hang about...... all through our history , once we have success we implode 2 years later......

Whiteman captures my thoughts perfectly .....we are a bit of a joke re cashing on on on limited talent compared to our peers !....

It's looking so bad now we canny expect young talent to hang about...... all through our history , once we have success we implode 2 years later......

If McGinn was rated enough by other interested clubs, somebody would have paid a fee similar to Ryan Gauld's or Stevie May, by now.

By all accounts Sheffield United were the highest bidders for him, to date, and their offer was around £400K, if reports are accurate.

What do you do ? Twist his arm up his back ? We can only offer what can be afforded.

The biggest problem in football today is the 'football agent' who fill players heads with riches of gold , castles on Hills and Bentley sports cars. Of course the bottom line is it's the agents who best interest is at heart. Forget that though just blame the board.

What do you do ? Twist his arm up his back ? We can only offer what can be afforded.

The biggest problem in football today is the 'football agent' who fill players heads with riches of gold , castles on Hills and Bentley sports cars. Of course the bottom line is it's the agents who best interest is at heart. Forget that though just blame the board.

Why would it not be in the players best interests to make as much money as he can while he's fit IoBS?

Players agents may well be hated by club chairmen but they are there to represent their clients. Football Chairmen have only a legal obligation to the clubs shareholders.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

If McGinn was rated enough by other interested clubs, somebody would have paid a fee similar to Ryan Gauld's or Stevie May, by now.

By all accounts Sheffield United were the highest bidders for him, to date, and their offer was around £400K, if reports are accurate.

£400k with a cut of any future transfer fee , would be not bad business

Why would it not be in the players best interests to make as much money as he can while he's fit IoBS?

Players agents may well be hated by club chairmen but they are there to represent their clients. Football Chairmen have only a legal obligation to the clubs shareholders.

Stuart I fully understand a player wanting to make as much money as possible. The answer above was in response to a post blaming the chairmen for not having the player on a longer contract. When a contract is signed the player has been given advice from the agent. They are the ace cards in deals. All clubs are at the mercy of agents just unfortunate the further down the chain you are budget wise the more you are shat on by agents.

he will need to play a lot better than he has been lately,on his current form he wouldn't get near sellics development squad never mind the 1st team,,be careful what you are signing up for young man,2 years in the wilderness might not be the best option for you,kenny realised this last year and he is flourishing this season

Stuart I fully understand a player wanting to make as much money as possible. The answer above was in response to a post blaming the chairmen for not having the player on a longer contract. When a contract is signed the player has been given advice from the agent. They are the ace cards in deals. All clubs are at the mercy of agents just unfortunate the further down the chain you are budget wise the more you are shat on by agents.

Do you really think that all clubs are at the mercy of agents?

I tend to think that today it's the clubs that hold all the cards and it depends on how they play them as to what kind of squad they land up with. Look at the news at St Mirren in October when it emerged that Kieran Doran had signed a deal with St Mirren worth just £1 per week and that the club hadn't even paid him that. The lad walks away from the club and the club effectively put him out of football. Wage levels in the game in Scotland are falling too, you don't need to look too hard to see it. There's no Laudrups, Klos's or De Boers over at Ibrox and Celtic aren't paying the kind of wages they were paying to Larsson, Sutton or Hartson a few years back and clubs like Hibs and Hearts - who would traditionally have paid more than St Mirren - are now paying far more modest levels of salary to their players. We're also seeing clubs like Hamilton and Falkirk, who are very obviously operating on a far lower wage bill than St Mirren, managing their youth players to the extent that they are able to cash in on them when it comes to moving them on.

The reality of the situation with McGinn would have been that the club could have offered him the kind of salary that would have made his agent recommend he sign the new deal, but the club clearly didn't do that and in the end the player has signed a short term deal which has allowed his agent to then move to try to find him a better deal elsewhere. I don't know what terms he's on but I'm sure I remember reading on here and hearing from other sources that McGinn was actually offered a wage cut in his latest deal, if that's true it wouldn't suggest that the St Mirren board were that keen on hanging onto him.

The other thing to consider from a players point of view is these relegation clauses that are put into contracts. Gilmour told 15 of us a couple of years ago that he was finding it difficult to get players and agents to accept them because an agents stock response was that if avoiding relegation was the limit of the clubs ambition perhaps their clients should be looking elsewhere. I can understand agents taking that line though. It's not the lack of ambition that is the issue. It's the fact that their client is being asked to sign a contract which could see his wage being reduced, sometimes by up to 50% or more, on the back of decisions that the player will have little control over - the perfect example being what has happened at St Mirren this season where the likes of Thompson has been injured and decisions made by Tommy Craig, Brian Caldwell and the board of directors have left the club short of goalscoring cover.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the idea of a proportion of a players earnings being paid to football agents, but I think we all need to accept that whilst there are unscrupulous employers in football and frankly daft and naive young footballers to be taken advantage by club chairmen, agents will be a necessity within the game.

Sheffield Uniteds offer was no where near that, it was well less than £100k.

if the club had been offered £400k McGinn would have been off to Sheffield in a flash (assuming he would have wanted to go obviously)

Because we don't continue in the same fashion afterwards and really push to achieve more, our board see it as an opportunity to cut costs without receiving flack from the fans

Sheffield Uniteds offer was no where near that, it was well less than £100k.

if the club had been offered £400k McGinn would have been off to Sheffield in a flash (assuming he would have wanted to go obviously)

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11781/9321913/uniteds-mcginn-bid-rejected

Ye cannae trust that article. They've even got the wrong man in the picture.

That's Richard Brittain!

Bolton with add ons would be our best option , my hope is that Bolton,s interest will force other teams to make a decent offer to secure meatball,s services , by no means the finished product , but a player with huge potential.

Hate to admit it , but Parkhead is probably the best place for him , he would be in the first team straight away , and after five consecutive games would be included in the next full Scotland squad , and Strachan would say that its something he was considering for a while .

Whatever club Meatball goes to , its hugely important that there add ons included.

Bolton with add ons would be our best option , my hope is that Bolton,s interest will force other teams to make a decent offer to secure meatball,s services , by no means the finished product , but a player with huge potential.

Hate to admit it , but Parkhead is probably the best place for him , he would be in the first team straight away , and after five consecutive games would be included in the next full Scotland squad , and Strachan would say that its something he was considering for a while .

Whatever club Meatball goes to , its hugely important that there add ons included

Not quite sure about that, but he would certainly be a good bargaining tool to maybe get a few

loanees in for the rest of the season, they've got no shortage of decent players who can't even

make there bench, and make a good few quid in to the bargain...