General Election 2015

shull

Desperate unionists? You're story comes from a Nationalist propaganda website - indeed probably one of the ones the police have been warning about. I got the story off Facebook - a post from my sister who was contacted by the police this afternoon telling her to be vigilant as she's working at the Falkirk count this evening. And indeed a wee bit of further digging and you can find a quote from Chief Superintendent Jim Baird on this very subject. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stuart Dickson

To put it in Stuart's terms...

I have a deficit in my household budget of £500. Instead of cutting my household expenditure I borrow some money and invest in some ladders, a bucket, some leaflets and start washing windows to earn extra money. With my earnings I repaid the money I borrowed and wiped the deficit. In the process I contributed further tax to the Government.

Yet when Labour did this to keep Scottish Shipbuilding Yards open the Nationalists scoffed at the waste of money. You can't have it all ways. :rolleyes:

Guest TPAFKATS

my alarm is set for half six,will be at polling station by five past seven to put my x next to ukip. snp,labour tories all just the same talk shit and don't give a f**k about anybody but themselves ,so im voting for the guy who at least enjoys a pint ,

It's a shame Eric Joyce isnt standing in your constituency

Guest TPAFKATS

That's as simple as you. It's YOU.

In my house , we don't call paying more for something every year "austerity". We don't call phoning Sky up and threatening to move my business to get a price reduction on the same Sky TV package I've always had as "austerity". When I've spent more in a month than I've earned and I've had to leave a balance on the credit card I don't think that the way out of the problem is to spend more and I'm certainly not going to fix anything by phoning my boss up and telling him I don't want a wage anymore cause I want Full Fiscal Autonomy.

The SNP are all over the place. You are all over the place. You can't even work out how much inflation rose under the coalition government.

So you don't agree with quantitative easing then?

Guest TPAFKATS

Yet when Labour did this to keep Scottish Shipbuilding Yards open the Nationalists scoffed at the waste of money. You can't have it all ways. rolleyes.gif

No the uk gov decided to build aircraft carriers but didnt build or buy planes to put on them.

In Tam M's analogy this would be equivalent to spending his £500 quid on the ladders but not buying any buckets.

Guest TPAFKATS

Desperate unionists? You're story comes from a Nationalist propaganda website - indeed probably one of the ones the police have been warning about. I got the story off Facebook - a post from my sister who was contacted by the police this afternoon telling her to be vigilant as she's working at the Falkirk count this evening. And indeed a wee bit of further digging and you can find a quote from Chief Superintendent Jim Baird on this very subject. rolleyes.gif

given that there were many reports of shenanigans during and after polling for the referendum, its hardly surprising that some have lost faith in the electoral process. I'm not sure why wishing to try and restore this faith by peacefully observing the process would cause such alarm?

I'm also not sure why system that claims to be democratic and above reproach would have anything to hide or be afraid of?

That's as simple as you. It's YOU.

In my house , we don't call paying more for something every year "austerity". We don't call phoning Sky up and threatening to move my business to get a price reduction on the same Sky TV package I've always had as "austerity". When I've spent more in a month than I've earned and I've had to leave a balance on the credit card I don't think that the way out of the problem is to spend more and I'm certainly not going to fix anything by phoning my boss up and telling him I don't want a wage anymore cause I want Full Fiscal Autonomy.

The SNP are all over the place. You are all over the place. You can't even work out how much inflation rose under the coalition government.

Comparing running a country with household income is stupid.

When a government spends money it is always an investment.

Investment in education.

Investment in health of the public.

Investment in roads.

Even investment in helping to keep food in the table of those out of work.

All of these are intended to stimulate a return.

Not always just financial because chasing money just to make money is even more stupid and pointless than comparing a household budget to government spending - some of the return is social wellbeing.

Of course you already know all of this......

To put it in Stuart's terms...

I have a deficit in my household budget of £500. Instead of cutting my household expenditure I borrow some money and invest in some ladders, a bucket, some leaflets and start washing windows to earn extra money. With my earnings I repaid the money I borrowed and wiped the deficit. In the process I contributed further tax to the Government.

It truly beggars belief that you needed to spell this out to him.

At the referendum I threw a party had about 30 people in my house, knew about 10 of them! Woke up at 6pm the next night, my head was banging, my best pal had resigned and someone threw up in my backdoor!

Tomorrow, I'm working sadly and have a PT session afterwards. Quiet one for me tonight, going to bed just now and will get up about half 1 for a few hours to catch the local Scotland declarations before squeezing another few hours in.

Mon the SNP!

Edited by Tam M

So, anyone got any clue about how bad the labour implosion will be in Scotland ?

If I was guessing I'd say the Snp will get 41 , which is a remarkable statement about Scotland and the wider changing outlook on its politics.

I'd be surprised if seats gained reached the optimistic polls of fifty plus, but would love to see that happen if only to listen to Jim Murphy esq as he tried to take the positive from it, and he would as well..........

Lol

Bottles will crash and there will be the unholy alliance of tactical voting types who would rather vote for what they deem the lesser of two evils rather than with their own conscience and a party they actually support.

35 SNP seats at most (sadly, as I would happily see them sweep the board in a Westminster election).

I can see the SNP get at least over 40.. a dream come true would be 50...

40 min would give the other parties no room to spin. I'm sure the 59/59 stories last week were intended to give Murphy a political lifeline in the event of say 30-40 SNP seats. 40+ would be glorious with hopefully the token Tory booted too as the cherry on the cake.

Comparing running a country with household income is stupid.

When a government spends money it is always an investment.

Investment in education.

Investment in health of the public.

Investment in roads.

Even investment in helping to keep food in the table of those out of work.

All of these are intended to stimulate a return.

Not always just financial because chasing money just to make money is even more stupid and pointless than comparing a household budget to government spending - some of the return is social wellbeing.

Of course you already know all of this......

So what is your problem when it comes to our government investing in Trident?

Guest TPAFKATS

Over 6 SNP seats is an improvement on 5 years ago.

Over 11 is a best ever performance.

Over 1 tory seat is an improvement on last time.

Think Lib Dems will hold orkney / Shetland and thats about it.

Waiting on STV or BBC enquiring on my availability for interview for this insightful analysis...

Hoping to see curran, Murphy and Alexander out on their erses. the labour machine appears to have given up on 30 odd other seats this week and thrown all their resources into trying to save the "big 3"

Local constituency labour party members not at all happy about this due obviously and many thinking its a waste of time and precious resources, especially for curran.

Guest TPAFKATS

40 min would give the other parties no room to spin. I'm sure the 59/59 stories last week were intended to give Murphy a political lifeline in the event of say 30-40 SNP seats. 40+ would be glorious with hopefully the token Tory booted too as the cherry on the cake.

Yeah, you can write the murphy quote now - last week we were being wiped out, today we have held onto 3,5,7,9,etc seats

Bottles will crash and there will be the unholy alliance of tactical voting types who would rather vote for what they deem the lesser of two evils rather than with their own conscience and a party they actually support.

35 SNP seats at most (sadly, as I would happily see them sweep the board in a Westminster election).

Agreed. I think Labour will still hold a fairly strong number of seats after tonight, possibly even drawing with the SNP.

In England there's a well recognised phenomenon of shy Tory voters. I reckon we saw the same happen in the referendum with the Yes voters making the most noise whilst others just got on with quietly sinking Nationalist hopes. I also reckon that for the first time in a General Election in Scotland we're seeing many shy Labour voters. My prediction is that Labour will have at least 20 Scottish seats after tonight, and that the Conservatives will gain at least one more Scottish seat. The SNP will do well but nowhere near as well as their party has been expecting.

I hope Danny Alexander loses his seat in Inverness. In a perfect world both Jim Murphy and wee Dougie Alexander are toppled too. Edited by cambiebud

I hope Danny Alexander loses his seat in Inverness. In a perfect world both Jim Murphy and wee Dougie Alexander are toppled too.

Murphy will cling on. When labour saw the big defeat looming they threw the kitchen sink into East Ren to at least ensure they avoided that ignominy. Apparently Labour activists in neighboring constituencies were fuming.

Murphy will cling on. When labour saw the big defeat looming they threw the kitchen sink into East Ren to at least ensure they avoided that ignominy. Apparently Labour activists in neighboring constituencies were fuming.

Yes I know, but I can dream. The desperate calls for Tory voters to back him to stop the SNP just sums up Scottish Labour for me.

Not had decent interweb connection for a few days.

Surprised to see posts here downplaying SNP gains.

(in Orkney and there does seem to be only one party -Lib)

Read the following and am pleased that Irvine Welsh has at last written something decent again.

He nails the conundrum, for me...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2015/may/07/labour-risks-failing-the-english-just-like-it-did-the-scottish?CMP=share_btn_link

Guess where I am now?

This place is getting on my... Ahem... wick.

Mixed -SNP and Lib.