General Election 2015

shull

Ponder on this for a minute………………….. Ed has declared that the results in Scotland are due to a “surge in Scottish Nationalism”………………… He got that statement so wrong and it fully explains why he has seen an avalanche against the Labour party in Scotland and defeat in the UK.

He is so remote from what Labour represent and in the context of Scotland I bet if you asked him where Arbroath was he wouldn’t have a clue. Labour voters have been saying for some time that Labour isn’t producing any change or improvement for them in Scotland, and they aren’t going to turn to the Tories, so what is their natural reaction……………. Vote SNP. It really is a no brainer.

If Labour ever want to regain power they will have to re-establish contact with the traditional Labour voter in Scotland, otherwise they will lose them all together - then they really are in the mire!

Nicola sturgeon says she will take the anti austerity message to the heart of Westminster?

Mmmm

So no change then!

This is a bad election night all round.

A referendum on leaving the EU is also bad news.

And the electoral system needs to change. For the Tories and SNP to get so many MPs with their shares of the vote is not right.

Did you vote No?

Edited by oaksoft

I'm no fan of PR but something is going to have to give. When the SNP have 55 seats for less than 6% of the vote and UKIP get 1 seat for 12% there's something wrong

When the Tories get to rule Scotland yet again with a single MP yet again who barely scraped home something is very wrong.

I'm no fan of PR but something is going to have to give. When the SNP have 55 seats for less than 6% of the vote and UKIP get 1 seat for 12% there's something wrong

Of course there is.

The Lib Dems and the SNP have been banging on about this for decades.

Are you unionists seriously only starting to wake up to this? lol.gif

I can't see independence as inevitable. It's been noticeable that in most of not all of the constituencies the unionist vote still beat the nationalist vote.

Actually you are correct about this.

There isn't enough evidence to support the risk of the SNP going for indyref2 at this time.

The numbers don't look like they add up to any better than last September.

That is exactly what Sturgeon was getting at.

It's not the number of seats but the physical number of votes which will count and right now, the No side would still have over 50% IMO.

1. The overall number of votes was always going to be less as 16 & 17-y-o's weren't able to vote.

2. The number of voters who turned out to vote for the Unionist parties fell by a lot more.

3. In any future referendum abstainers won't count.

As usual your interpretation of the figures is clearly absurd.

PS - We can wave goodbye to last week's gem of the Conservatives party in 1979 outpolling anything the SNP have ever achieved. bye1.gif

He is also failing to appreciate that there is now every chance of labour (or what emerges pheonix like from the ashes of Scottish Labour) being a lot more pro independence in the coming years. There may well be a sizeable shift in their stance in the coming years.

Dry what? Did you miss the fact that David Cameron got a majority and that the Conservatives won the election. I'm not concerned about the SNP's feeble 56.

Independence will happen. Not right now, but it will happen and i know you'll be overjoyed when it does.

And who in the Labour ranks thought it would be a good idea to boost their electoral chances by sending up from down south a cross-dressing comedian (allegedly), who paraded alongside the ultra-charismatic Jim Murphy in Glasgow city centre looking like a 30 bob tart ?

No wonder it has been a shoo-in for the SNP.

I posted on here after it happened, as I was standing right at St Enoch Centre watching Jim Murphy and Eddie Izzard dressed like a Virgin Airways stewardess march together down Buchanan Street. I think Jim Murphy and Scottish Labour should be ashamed of themselves. Three or four 'Scottish Resistance' blowhards confronted them and caused a wee bit of a stooshie. Now, this is purely my take on it from watching the reactions of Murphy and indeed Izzard - they courted that confrontation. They wanted it to happen. They knew it would happen, and I also believe they were disappointed it wasn't a bigger more volatile reaction.

There is no possible reason, none whatsoever, that Scottish Labour would think this was a vote winner, a game changer, in Scottish Labour's long time heartland. Glasgow city centre - red Glasgow. Instead of running a positive campaign to trumpet the benefits of a Labour vote, it looked like a cheap and disgraceful act of desperation intended to seek confrontation - which Murphy would pin on the SNP, turning people against 'violent nationalists'.

My dear old dad, a lifelong Labour supporter, will be spinning in his grave. He was a pretty open minded guy, from an old-school generation though. To see Labour parade an 'action transvestite' English comedian in Glasgow, dressed like a cheap tart in a pencil skirt and blouse?

Spinning in his grave so fast he might burrow through to Australia.

Edited by pozbaird

That must be the nastiest thing you've wrote. Even shull disnae deserve that. :thumbsdown

ps, I hope someone pishes in his taxi today. :whistle

The nastiness was aimed at me dreaming of Celtic and Sevco fcuking off - not Shull! Admittedly though, on reading it back, I can see why you thought that.

Sorry Shull! Listen - if you emigrate to England... can you take those two cnuts with you?

(that's better.... I always post better after a Snickers).

Dry what? Did you miss the fact that David Cameron got a majority and that the Conservatives won the election. I'm not concerned about the SNP's feeble 56.

Labour's 50 were feeble because reaching Westminster was the summit of the ambitions for the majority. For the SNP it's just a start, every Question Time the leader of the SNP will expose the absurdity of the present system - that's a victory every week Parliament sits.

The job of the SNP this Parliament will be to confirm the cultural & political differences between the two nations - I believe yesterday was the ideal result for the SNP and will be the next stage on the long march to independence.

What is Wales like?

Belfast sounds not for me.

Let me see.

Bangor, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Aberystwyth, Porthmadog, Rhyl, Caernarfon, the narrow guage railway to take you the the summit of Snowdon with a stop for an American shindig when I went there. What's not to like?

I hope I sold you on it.

the down side? Well, for us? Internet is still available!whistling.giflol.gif

Proper austerity and recovery in the same sentence?

well, we'll see

The fact is that the Tories haven't cut government spending over the past 5 years at all. Government spending is up. That is a fact.

The last 5 years of Conservative government have seen them follow exactly the policy that the SNP were proposing in this GE.

Government spending will continue to rise over the next 5 years.

The SNP policy is the correct one. The Tories have shown how well it has worked over the past 5 years.

The fact is that the Tories haven't cut government spending over the past 5 years at all. Government spending is up. That is a fact.

The last 5 years of Conservative government have seen them follow exactly the policy that the SNP were proposing in this GE.

Government spending will continue to rise over the next 5 years.

The SNP policy is the correct one. The Tories have shown how well it has worked over the past 5 years.

Adjusted for inflation government spending has gone down - tax and spend, it's the only way!

Ardrossan it is then.

Don't do it, no matter how bad you feel about where you are now, anywhere's better than North Ayrshire! The People's Kingdom of the Three Toons doesn't take well to incomers.......