General Election 2015

shull

I can't see independence as inevitable. It's been noticeable that in most of not all of the constituencies the unionist vote still beat the nationalist vote.

You don't do sums, do you? Before Berwickshire, the SNP were on 50.2% of the total votes counted. Add the Greens, SSP, etc., and the percentage of independence supporting votes increases. The Berwickshire result won't change that.

Beyond my wildest dreams. A Tory majority and as many Conservative MP's in Scotland as Labour ones, wow. If you'd told me that would happen in 2010... Yeah... Wow.

The UK public has thrown out Balls and his spending plans and we've given Cameron and Osbourne a clear mandate to continue their cuts to the bloated public sector and welfare state. This is exactly what we need.

Thankfully they won't have the Lib Dems in their way this time and we should be able to get on with some proper austerity to accelerate the recovery. Let's hope we get out the EU too.

A fantastic night for the country all round.

All that has happened down south is the Lib Dems have been wiped out. Both the unionist parties have hoovered up Lib Dem seats. Labour and Tories are up in England. Clegg's mob got what they deserved. As for Scotland, unbelievable results. Interesting times ahead.

Where do we go from here, another feeble 50 - I don't think so, the SNP MP's in Westminster aren't gonna see it as the reaching the promised land as so many Labour Party apparatchiks did in the 80's. There can be no boozin' & snoozin' in the many bars within the Houses of Parliament!

Nice to see the usual suspects trying to claim this as a victory for the Union - Labour can't win in England, there is a clear cultural & political divide between the two countries. My sincere hope is that this is the start of the of the final march to independence - FREE BY '23!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Beyond my wildest dreams. A Tory majority and as many Conservative MP's in Scotland as Labour ones, wow. If you'd told me that would happen in 2010... Yeah... Wow.

The UK public has thrown out Balls and his spending plans and we've given Cameron and Osbourne a clear mandate to continue their cuts to the bloated public sector and welfare state. This is exactly what we need.

Thankfully they won't have the Lib Dems in their way this time and we should be able to get on with some proper austerity to accelerate the recovery. Let's hope we get out the EU too.

You missed out the accelerated end to the Union too - happy times indeed.

The Labour Party have learned nothing from the fiasco of appointing Michael Foot as their leader 35 years ago. Foot was unelectable as the UK's prime minister, but despite the lessons of history the Labour Party's undemocratic membership voting system allowed the trades unions to appoint Ed Miliband, another unelectable wally whom the nation's voters couldn't take seriously.

And who in the Labour ranks thought it would be a good idea to boost their electoral chances by sending up from down south a cross-dressing comedian (allegedly), who paraded alongside the ultra-charismatic Jim Murphy in Glasgow city centre looking like a 30 bob tart ?

No wonder it has been a shoo-in for the SNP.

Only a third of the electorate voted for the SNP yet they win 95% of the seats.

That just can't be right.

The hated and despised Margaret Thatcher won two thirds of the vote that the SNP achieved last night to put it into perspective.

Maybe some hope then that we can avert the disaster of independence.

The Labour Party have learned nothing from the fiasco of appointing Michael Foot as their leader 35 years ago. Foot was unelectable as the UK's prime minister, but despite the lessons of history the Labour Party's undemocratic membership voting system allowed the trades unions to appoint Ed Miliband, another unelectable wally whom the nation's voters couldn't take seriously.

And who in the Labour ranks thought it would be a good idea to boost their electoral chances by sending up from down south a cross-dressing comedian (allegedly), who paraded alongside the ultra-charismatic Jim Murphy in Glasgow city centre looking like a 30 bob tart ?

No wonder it has been a shoo-in for the SNP.

Brilliant absolutely spot on, would give it lots more likes if possible.

You don't do sums, do you? Before Berwickshire, the SNP were on 50.2% of the total votes counted. Add the Greens, SSP, etc., and the percentage of independence supporting votes increases. The Berwickshire result won't change that.

The SNP share of the vote as published by the BBC right now - with all of the Scottish constituencies counted - is 50%. You still wouldn't have independence, even if you assume that every single SNP voter yesterday wanted independence. rolleyes.gif

Actually if you dig further you can see the SNP made little to no ground at all since September. At the referendum the turnout was 84.5%, yesterday turnout in Scotland was just 71.1%. Indeed fewer Scottish voters voted for any of the independence parties yesterday than did in September.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Proper austerity and recovery in the same sentence?

well, we'll see

wellsince we are still part of the same nation state you can move to England but can't emigrate there

But please, don't let that stop you. Attention seeking pish goes down really well there

Aw,you're gonnae miss me

Boo hoo.

Agreed. I think Labour will still hold a fairly strong number of seats after tonight, possibly even drawing with the SNP.

In England there's a well recognised phenomenon of shy Tory voters. I reckon we saw the same happen in the referendum with the Yes voters making the most noise whilst others just got on with quietly sinking Nationalist hopes. I also reckon that for the first time in a General Election in Scotland we're seeing many shy Labour voters. My prediction is that Labour will have at least 20 Scottish seats after tonight, and that the Conservatives will gain at least one more Scottish seat. The SNP will do well but nowhere near as well as their party has been expecting.

FFS lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

Only a third of the electorate voted for the SNP yet they win 95% of the seats.

That just can't be right.

The hated and despised Margaret Thatcher won two thirds of the vote that the SNP achieved last night to put it into perspective.

Maybe some hope then that we can avert the disaster of independence.

Dry them Stuart clap.gif

The SNP share of the vote as published by the BBC right now - with all of the Scottish constituencies counted - is 50%. You still wouldn't have independence, even if you assume that every single SNP voter yesterday wanted independence. rolleyes.gif

Actually if you dig further you can see the SNP made little to no ground at all since September. At the referendum the turnout was 84.5%, yesterday turnout in Scotland was just 71.1%. Indeed fewer Scottish voters voted for any of the independence parties yesterday than did in September.

1. The overall number of votes was always going to be less as 16 & 17-y-o's weren't able to vote.

2. The number of voters who turned out to vote for the Unionist parties fell by a lot more.

3. In any future referendum abstainers won't count.

As usual your interpretation of the figures is clearly absurd.

PS - We can wave goodbye to last week's gem of the Conservatives party in 1979 outpolling anything the SNP have ever achieved. bye1.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker