Declan Hughes

Kemp

Declan Hughes released by the club today.

I thought quite a few on here had him down as one to look out for & ready to break in to the first team this year?

What went wrong?

Too many injuries at bad timing. Every time he got anywhere near a call up to the squad he picked up a knock.

Badly needs games at this stage of his career and it was clear they didn't want to give someone his age and with the lack of games the responsibility of doing the Goody role. As soon as Osbourne signed that was it for him and asked to go on loan.

Highly rated by Longwell but wants to play fist team football. Asked to leave to play regular football.

Will sign for Cowdenbeath, who knows maybe see him back in a couple of seasons.

Edited by davidg

Surely we could have just sent him on loan to Cowdenbeath again?

Seems a strange decision to me. Who would have taken it? Teale and Longwell?

Declan, he's out of contract this month anyway.

Fair play to the club allowing him to go and play full time and not freezing him out for a development fee.

Edited by davidg

Too many injuries at bad timing. Every time he got anywhere near a call up to the squad he picked up a knock.

Badly needs games at this stage of his career and it was clear they didn't want to give someone his age and with the lack of games the responsibility of doing the Goody role. As soon as Osbourne signed that was it for him and asked to go on loan.

Highly rated by Longwell but wants to play fist team football.

Will sign for Cowdenbeath, who knows maybe see him back in a couple of seasons.

I hope we're chasing a £300.000 development fee...laugh.png

He'd have been competing with Mallan for a CM spot. It's not like we'd have changed our formation to accommodate Hughes. McLear is also competent at CM.

No he wouldn't, he'd be competing with Osbourne and Goody for that role.

That's what he's been groomed to do for years.

Declan, he's out of contract this month anyway.

Fair play to the club allowing him to go and play full time and not freezing him out for a development fee.

Even still, it i surely better in these cases to offer a new contract and then send out on a 1 year loan to Cowdenbeath.

We surely could have done the same with Paul McGinn & Dumbarton.

Couldn't hold down a place a Cowdenbeath, So why would we wanna keep him, His contract is up, we need to get players off the wage bill so we can bring in some fresh faces for the first team,,

Can't imagine his wages would be that great. Saving them might allow the club to offer you and me deals Gary. thumbup2.gif

Couldn't hold down a place a Cowdenbeath, ,

Nonsense.

Injured after his first game there. Then had to wait to get back into squad as JN rightly wasn't prepared to drop someone from the team when they went on a decent run of results.

As promised he got back in after the defeat at Falkirk.

Second game back and got stretchered off against Sevco after Black almost broke his ankle.

Back fit and started the last 3 games of his loan period.

Anyway, it could be a good move and getting regular games for a while might help kick start his career just like Paul McGinn.

Edited by davidg

Nonsense.

Injured after his first game there. Then had to wait to get back into squad as JN rightly wasn't prepared to drop someone from the team when they went on a decent run of results.

As promised he got back in after the defeat at Falkirk.

Second game back and got stretchered off against Sevco after Black almost broke his ankle.

Back fit and started the last 3 games of his loan period.

Anyway, it could be a good move and getting regular games for a while might help kick start his career just like Paul McGinn.

Hate it when people come on here with their facts David.Know nothing about Declan or do any research.For what its worth my wee mate at Cowdenbeath Sean Higgins rates him very highly.

Ian. Agree my wife was talking to Jon Robertson.Apparently against Queens at Dumfries recently he was superb.Could be a mistake not renewing his contract.

By all accounts he had a good game there despite being asked to play wide let. He can play anywhere across the middle.

Best of luck to him.

Hate it when people come on here with their facts David.Know nothing about Declan or do any research.For what its worth my wee mate at Cowdenbeath Sean Higgins rates him very highly.

I agree Ian.

I'm not trying to give the impression that he's top class or that this is a massive mistake. Maybe he's not good enough, time will tell but it's unfair to say he couldn't hold down a place at Cowdenbeath just because you have a quick look at the bbc website.

I would liked to have seen him stay another season and try get a decent run without injury but he's chose to move on and best of luck to him.

Edited by davidg

Excellent, so one of our rivals can benefit from our youth system like Dundee and Kilmarnock are this season.

I just don't see the sense in not giving him a 1 year contract and sending him to Cowdenbeath on loan for that time and keeping our options open.

He's decent and will do well against teams in the championship for Cowdenbeith, He might have got some game time here coming on for Ozzy when he runs out of steam, but Culhuddy plays a similar role with under 20s. (not sure he's ready to step up). He's decided that game time is more important than hanging around in the hope of a few first team games and to be honest I think its the right decision for both parties.

The move is by mutual consent and with good will shown by both the club and the player

Good luck to the boy hope he does well and who knows might come back further down the line.