Kenny Mclean

Yet, some were saying we should lay off the Board because they had persuaded Kenny to stay...oh and Craig was going to come good. Then it turns out we actually sold the jerseys to keep Kenny. Wooohoo, well done on setting a new record for time taken to sell a club, appointing Tommy Craig, the home tops and getting so little for McLean.

NO CLUB thought Kenny was worth that kind of money in summer, so he was basically forced to sign a new contract with us.

Kenny has then gone on to have a great start to the season, playing better and more consistently than he has ever done in the past.

All of a sudden somebody thinks he is worth that compo fee.

I can totally see why the BOD made that agreement with Kenny in the summer because nobody was willing to pay a penny for him.

It is fine to say he is worth this or that, but you need a buyer first. In summer they thought that getting 275k for him was a good deal.

If that fee hadn't been set then Mclean wouldn't have signed for 2 years. He would have signed for 6 months or a year and then we would have been just looking at the compensation fee anyway.

The BOD's hands were tied. I don't blame them in the slightest.

I think at the end of the day, if Kenny had left in the summer for 275k compo, not too many people would have been upset by that, but Mclean has been nothing short of fantastic this season, which really could not have been foreseen.

Get off the BOD's backs...

Thank you Mr Gilmour

If no one wanted him in the summer why was his agent calling the shots

Player's value change all the time

Ian Ferguson £60,000,a year later £1,000,000

I wish you were Tony Fitz,a shite manager but he could sell players for a lot of money

Fair enough they agreed to let him leave should a sufficient offer come in, but I don't see how 275K is a sufficient offer.

In the summer when the agreement was made, nobody was willing to pay 275k.

How were the board to know Kenny would hit a rich vein of form and suddenly have interest in him?

They struck the deal with him on the basis that nobody would pay 275k for him in summer.

I think it was a case of the board saying, we have a player here who is worth 275k in compensation to us, but nobody wants to pay it for whatever reason (probably due to his inconsistency). What can we do???

1. Let him go for feck all!

2. Let him go for an amount that someone is willing to pay (100k maybe)!

3. Ask Kenny to sign a 2 year deal (which he didn't have to) on the condition that if someone comes in during that period with a fee similar to the compensation fee, then he could go with the clubs best wishes.

Yes, it's shit because on current form he probably is worth more, but his pre-summer form wasn't good enough to convince anybody to pay the compo.

Thank you Mr Gilmour

If no one wanted him in the summer why was his agent calling the shots

Player's value change all the time

Ian Ferguson £60,000,a year later £1,000,000

I wish you were Tony Fitz,a shite manager but he could sell players for a lot of money

Alex Smith sold Fergie

NO CLUB thought Kenny was worth that kind of money in summer, so he was basically forced to sign a new contract with us.

Kenny has then gone on to have a great start to the season, playing better and more consistently than he has ever done in the past.

I can totally see why the BOD made that agreement with Kenny in the summer because nobody was willing to pay a penny for him.

It is fine to say he is worth this or that, but you need a buyer first. In summer they thought that getting 275k for him was a good deal.

If that fee hadn't been set then Mclean wouldn't have signed for 2 years. He would have signed for 6 months or a year and then we would have been just looking at the compensation fee anyway.

I think at the end of the day, if Kenny had left in the summer for 275k compo, not too many people would have been upset by that, but Mclean has been nothing short of fantastic this season, which really could not have been foreseen.

You’re missing the point. The board are supposed to be running a business.

Maclean was not signed by another club in the summer due to his inconsistency and the fact that someone would have to pay £275k compensation. When he re-signed for the club then the power was with the club not the player. That was the clubs opportunity to dictate the future deal. The player was looking to ply his trade and get his big money deal. The club obviously signed him up on a cheap deal. While it is admirable that the board honoured a gentlemans agreement. It is poor business sense to not have the business foresight on the potential of your assets. A similar situation is about to come to fruition in the summer with John McGinn when he is out of contract and is currently in poor form. The club appear happy to let him walk and get some compensation rather than sign him up on a longer deal.

The McLean transfer may appear to be the catalyst for the fans outrage. The real reason for the outrage of the fans is the apathy that exists in the club. An apathy that is evident at board room level, possibly a consequence of them wanting out. If the board can’t be arsed then why should the fans. The falling attendances show that neither can the fans.

I am not bothered that McLeans away. I am not even bothered that we only got a reported £300k for him. I am however concerned that we have a club run by people who make poor business in the signing of players and managers. How many players have we signed in the last 2-3 years that have seen out their contract.

No shit Stewart

I was saying Tony Fitz sold average players for big money

Hamilton,Cameron,Winnie,Walker and Chamlers

Changed days I'm afraid. Those players wouldn't go for any fees if they were playing today.

The Bosman ruling has seen to that. However, it works the other too. We can also sign players for sod all.

You’re missing the point. The board are supposed to be running a business.

Maclean was not signed by another club in the summer due to his inconsistency and the fact that someone would have to pay £275k compensation. When he re-signed for the club then the power was with the club not the player. That was the clubs opportunity to dictate the future deal. The player was looking to ply his trade and get his big money deal. The club obviously signed him up on a cheap deal. While it is admirable that the board honoured a gentlemans agreement. It is poor business sense to not have the business foresight on the potential of your assets. A similar situation is about to come to fruition in the summer with John McGinn when he is out of contract and is currently in poor form. The club appear happy to let him walk and get some compensation rather than sign him up on a longer deal.

The McLean transfer may appear to be the catalyst for the fans outrage. The real reason for the outrage of the fans is the apathy that exists in the club. An apathy that is evident at board room level, possibly a consequence of them wanting out. If the board can’t be arsed then why should the fans. The falling attendances show that neither can the fans.

I am not bothered that McLeans away. I am not even bothered that we only got a reported £300k for him. I am however concerned that we have a club run by people who make poor business in the signing of players and managers. How many players have we signed in the last 2-3 years that have seen out their contract.

This is where "you" are not seeing the point. Player's are the one's in the position of power these days and BOD's have to bend over backwards to keep them happy and playing well.

Put yourself in Kenny's shoes. The BOD offer you a 2 year contract with no "get out clause", so you turn it down and say I'll sign it if you give me the "get out clause".

Two options are then left for the BOD:

1. Agree to it and Kenny signs the deal

2. Don't agree to it and you have one pissed off player on your hands, who still carries all the aces. He could upset the dressing room, he could say he'll only sign month to month contracts until someone agrees to pay the compo...etc etc etc..

The BOD's hands were feckin tied.

Edited by Tony Fitzy

This is where "you" are not seeing the point. Player's are the one's in the position of power these days and BOD's have to bend over backwards to keep them happy and playing well.

Put yourself in Kenny's shoes. The BOD offer you a 2 year contract with no "get out clause", so you turn it down and say I'll sign it if you give me the "get out clause".

Two options are then left for the BOD:

1. Agree to it and Kenny signs the deal

2. Don't agree to it and you have one pissed off player on your hands, who still carries all the aces. He could upset the dressing room, he could say he'll only sign month to month contracts until someone agrees to pay the compo...etc etc etc..

The BOD's hands were feckin tied.

Or, you let him go, bring in two players who want to be here, don't appoint Tommy Craig, don't f**k about an English consortium and don't piss off the fans. You can say he just didn't want to stay, claim a fee at tribunal when he does get a club and not put the fans through the last 6 months.

I was of the opinion that the fee was too low but I see where you're coming from. If Kenny had stayed fit before and during the last two January windows we were all expecting his departure. After careful consideration and accepting what was reported on the O.S. I concur that it was outwith the boards control. I think we're all just upset that our apparent only saviour was "wheeked" from under our noses.

I was of the opinion that the fee was too low but I see where you're coming from. If Kenny had stayed fit before and during the last two January windows we were all expecting his departure. After careful consideration and accepting what was reported on the O.S. I concur that it was outwith the boards control. I think we're all just upset that our apparent only saviour was "wheeked" from under our noses.

Bang on!

Most people on here seem to be so p'd off about Kenny leaving that they have lost the ability of rational thinking.

Bang on!

Most people on here seem to be so p'd off about Kenny leaving that they have lost the ability of rational thinking.

If Kenny McLean rejected in the summer the best contract St Mirren can afford to give him, with assurances that any bid deemed acceptable by the club would be accepted. That's beyond the boards control. We move on, and will see Kenny McLean's new club at a tribunal for compensation.

However to agree basically to a release clause of such low value, which doesn't take into account his form, market value now, the time of the bid, his importance to our team and our league position is farcical IMO.

If Kenny McLean rejected in the summer the best contract St Mirren can afford to give him, with assurances that any bid deemed acceptable by the club would be accepted. That's beyond the boards control. We move on, and will see Kenny McLean's new club at a tribunal for compensation.

However to agree basically to a release clause of such low value, which doesn't take into account his form, market value now, the time of the bid, his importance to our team and our league position is farcical IMO.

Go onto the official site and read the comment re Kenny. The player decided he would sign a new contract. Our supporters, our management team and, quite obviously, our BoD's all felt Kenny was a player worth having. IF we hadn't offered a contract worthy of the name he would have been able to leave for nowt. I'm pretty certain he would have got another club under those conditions.

I'm as upset as many about him leaving but, let's be honest, we were accusing him of inconsistency last season.

After calming down and reading the statement I now believe, contrary to my first inclination, that the Board did what they could to get McLean to sign. It's another piece of bad luck that he played so well for us during the first part of the season!whistling.gif