Alcohol During Football Matches.

Qarsaan

as i understand it, the mark up on alcohol in pubs is minimal when you take in the costs of staff, equipment, cleaning, etc. it is volume that makes it profitable for a publican

you would be paying well over the odds for a matchday bar pint, much like the fiver for a plastic glass full that you get at music events, etc.

not many people will partake and the venture would fold pretty quickly

Another thing that springs to mind is that there must be a distinction between selling alcohol at the grounds and 'permitting' alcohol at the grounds. If I remember correctly, half the problem back in the 80's was with folk sneaking in 'cairgos' getting shit faced and then using empty containers as weapons. Even the plastic 'magic' bottle would still need to be firmly banned within our grounds. But selling beer from a tap or otherwise and poured into a plastic tumbler, for an hour before a match (and during) really should cause no problems that would not already be there in the first place.

Wondered where they would go, maybe just a one-of as they didnt know the Wig was shut and had to find a pub showing their game

Pub was mobbed before apparently and some of them in watching the game. Was in til about half 8 last night and pub good and busy they were all up in the front snug bit, apparently they asked about running a bus but were told no. Apparently the real ale The Brewers Tap (now named brewers droop much to annoyance of Georgie) is lovely and only £1.99.

Pub was mobbed before apparently and some of them in watching the game. Was in til about half 8 last night and pub good and busy they were all up in the front snug bit, apparently they asked about running a bus but were told no. Apparently the real ale The Brewers Tap (now named brewers droop much to annoyance of Georgie) is lovely and only £1.99.

Ah they are on the hunt for a pub to run their bus from, did they run one from the wig and pen

while I detest the fact that the police and politicians have an agenda that only applies to scottish football, while other sports and entertainment businesses are free of the prejudice that sees alcohol banned, no standing, players arrested for fighting on the field (albeit a few years ago), juice cartons removed from kids and games cancelled because the surrounding streets are icy, i'm a bit mystified by the wholesale demand for alcohol during the game, particularly since the reduction of the legal driving limit in Scotland and the fact that more families attend matches is unlikely to have people clamouring for a few pints during the match.

this desire to take custom away from local pubs which are already struggling with the inevitable closures and job losses etc etc is somewhat unusual for any political party

it'll either be a good earner for the police raising funds by increasing breathalyser tests post match or the interest just wont be there

with all these implications, and attendances in the region of 3000, is being able to buy a few pints at the ground really going to improve the financial income of our club and make such a difference ?

btw. does no one else think the fact that our club being associated throughout the press this morning with one political party is embarrassing ?

Edited by thewhiteman

with all these implications, and attendances in the region of 3000, is being able to buy a few pints at the ground really going to improve the financial income of our club and make such a difference?

It's not just about the financial benefits for the club, it's about not being treated as arse holes and given punters the choice of buying a pint in a civilised manor at a sporting event.

Some people enjoy a pint at the game, some people don't. If the introduced this I'd continue to take the car 9 times out of 10 so I'm not debating this as a regular Saturday drinker.

btw. does no one else think the fact that our club being associated throughout the press this morning with one political party is embarrassing ?

Not really, Murphy is a tadger but he chose to come and hand out leaflets outside our ground. Today he was at Hamilton do in the same. Hardly embarrassing for our club ?

while I detest the fact that the police and politicians have an agenda that only applies to scottish football, while other sports and entertainment businesses are free of the prejudice that sees alcohol banned, no standing, players arrested for fighting on the field (albeit a few years ago), juice cartons removed from kids and games cancelled because the surrounding streets are icy, i'm a bit mystified by the wholesale demand for alcohol during the game, particularly since the reduction of the legal driving limit in Scotland and the fact that more families attend matches is unlikely to have people clamouring for a few pints during the match.

this desire to take custom away from local pubs which are already struggling with the inevitable closures and job losses etc etc

it'll either be a good earner for the police raising funds by increasing breathalyser tests post match or the interest just wont be there

with all these implications, and attendances in the region of 3000, is being able to buy a few pints at the ground really going to improve the financial income of our club and make such a difference ?

It is at least inappropriate john, was he only outside or did he get publicity shots inside as well ? He was most likely jumping on the bandwagon that was created last year when the club began associating itself with the removal of the alcohol ban.

The problem in the past was that drink was being taken into the ground and people were getting tanked up by downing bottles of Eldorado, Old England, Scotsmac etc, and although appearing to be sober enough to get in, were then guttered by half time ( I myself have done so in the past ).

Nowadays though it would be more controllable though still possible for someone to gain entry whilst half drunk and end up totally pissed during the game, for that reason i dont see alcohol licensing for drinking during the game being given the go-ahead, and i dont disagree with that.

I totally agree with this point, but curious to know when the various political parties going to address the other points which are reserved for football supporters

I agree bud, it's a start I suppose but like you say it shouldn't be to try and rescue a political campaign.

The problem in the past was that drink was being taken into the ground and people were getting tanked up by downing bottles of Eldorado, Old England, Scotsmac etc, and although appearing to be sober enough to get in, were then guttered by half time ( I myself have done so in the past ).

while im sure few b+w forum posters would ever partake in such practice, whistling.gif yesterday at half time might have been a good time for the pro alcohol camp to hold a vote on it

Ah they are on the hunt for a pub to run their bus from, did they run one from the wig and pen

I assume so, obv popped in there to try new pub as game was on and thought oh this could do. Can't say I pay much attention to the wig and pen but someone said it closes and reopens a lot so hopefully be opened again soon. As I said not a bit of bother but long term.......hmmm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-31472090

My opinion? There are too many idiots around who would abuse it. The present arrangement makes sense. Lifting the beer ban is a bad idea.

First step should be to remove segregation inside football grounds, then ask the question about alcohol. If fans can sit and watch football matches together with no trouble in the stands then it could be assumed that the sport might finally have matured enough for the fans to be afforded the opportunity to buy some alcohol at matches.

I have to say that I think that having alcohol on sale at a stadium belonging to a club that has happily taken grants from organisations who seek to promote health and well being through sport would be a bit tasteless, especially when you throw in the "family" factor and you ask the question if a parent responsible for looking after a child at the football should be drinking alcohol at all, particularly if at full time the parent is driving the child home.

All this smacks of a repeat of Murphy's 100 towns tour during the referendum. This time he is targeting gullible football fans in his quest to try and make himself popular amongst the working classes.

Hopefully the punters will see through this utter snake. He is the only politician in Scotland that can out-Tory the Tories. I personally would be against the idea. The beer for one would be completely overpriced, secondly I'd rather give my money to the likes of the Court Bar who have given support to the Chivas bus these last few years rather than a BOD who are now treating the fans with contempt and ready to sell to a bunch of Argentinian chancers in a desperate bid to recoup their money.

I enjoy more than a few beers at Wembley for the NFL games. We're there from about 2pm until 7pm... totally different non-partisan atmosphere though. I have no desire to drive from Cumbernauld to Paisley and take any chances at all with the new lower drink driving limits in Scotland. Unlike a day at the NFL, a game at the dinkydome is pretty much in at 3pm and out at 4.45pm. I don't feel the need for alcohol in that one-and-a-half-hour period of my life, nor do I feel like a second class citizen because the rugger chaps can have a wee swally.

Edit: I have no time for brazen politicising - but see if big Jim the charisma bypass Labour guy had been handing out leaflets saying 'Scottish Labour are going to promote the introduction of safe-standing areas that aren't ST specific, to encourage groups of fans to stand together again with their mates, and create a genuine singing section and a bit of atmosphere in these increasingly identikit shite stadiums we are building these days'....

Then I might have been interested.

Edited by pozbaird

What do you mean would, they already do it. 1eye.gif

Next you'll be complaining to all the rugby clubs that do the same. lol.gif

I see your carer has left her iPad unlocked again. :rolleyes:

Tell me Cockles, why would I complain to rugby and football clubs that take the money that the Scottish Government and their respective quango's are willing to grant them? The issue is with the funding provider who is sanctioning the mixed message, often against their funding remit.

Murphy is wrong in his campaign and I would never support it. It's nice to see you backing him though.....:rolleyes:

It's not just about the financial benefits for the club, it's about not being treated as arse holes and given punters the choice of buying a pint in a civilised manor at a sporting event.

Some people enjoy a pint at the game, some people don't. If the introduced this I'd continue to take the car 9 times out of 10 so I'm not debating this as a regular Saturday drinker.

Fans are being treated as arseholes because so many of them behave like arseholes.

We saw it again at Ibrox on Friday night but this goes on everywhere.

We don't see this at cricket, rugby or elsewhere.

In fact, no other sport in the country has this problem of aggression and arsehole behaviour.

People can't behave like twats and then whine and cry because they are singled out for harsh treatment.

First step should be to remove segregation inside football grounds, then ask the question about alcohol. If fans can sit and watch football matches together with no trouble in the stands then it could be assumed that the sport might finally have matured enough for the fans to be afforded the opportunity to buy some alcohol at matches.

There you have it. That's what would need to be done for me to support a reintroduction of alcohol.

What other sport requires segregation of fans?

This is the arsehole behaviour I'm talking about.

People can't even handle sitting together with another human being wearing a different scarf and they wonder why they are not being treated as adults.

Oxstur and Herr Dixon - sensible people - the dream team.

Indeed , I totally agree with them.

Attended Ice Hockey a few weeks ago.

Alcohol was being taken by some as they sat in their seats.

No segregation.

Marvelous family atmosphere.

So get rid of segregation and then we can think of the drink.