St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

Oh FFS :rolleyes:

Did you not see todays score? Hibs 1 Rangers 0

Some St Mirren fans really are that thick.

Well, I'm not. I rattled out a few facts and figures to debunk this myth you seem to be hellbent on perpetuating that Stephen Kenny is a great manager and the situation at Dunfermline was neither his doing or within any gaffer's remit to resolve.

And yet you seem to have completely ignored me and instead focused on folk you feel you wouldn't be out of your depth arguing with.

You're the Stephen Kenny of this forum. You do Ok against the small fish but you just can't make the step up in quality. :lol:

Well, I'm not. I rattled out a few facts and figures to debunk this myth you seem to be hellbent on perpetuating that Stephen Kenny is a great manager and the situation at Dunfermline was neither his doing or within any gaffer's remit to resolve.

And yet you seem to have completely ignored me and instead focused on folk you feel you wouldn't be out of your depth arguing with.

You're the Stephen Kenny of this forum. You do Ok against the small fish but you just can't make the step up in quality. :lol:

More like I don't even see you as small fish :rolleyes:

Got to admire the amount of bites Captain Sensible and StuD get with fairly standard bait.

People need to realise they would have said the exact same thing no matter who got the job.

You say that TC and in many ways you might well be right, but I really don't think Ian Murray is a good appointment. As I said it's at best uninspired, and at worst absolutely baffling. The man would have no evidence what so ever to back up any claim that he fits any part of the job description.

His track record shows no sign at all of youth development - he tended to sign old pros on their way out of the game. There's no sign at all that he's a good coach - he certainly didn't improve Chris Kane or Paul McGinn. There's no sign of tactical ability - Dumbarton conceded far too many goals to back that claim. He hasn't had a team promoted. Even the claim he had Dumbarton punching above their weight - REALLY? Livingston were the only club the finished ahead of that could back up that claim and yet they went into financial meltdown and suffered a large points deduction to end up there.

You say that TC and in many ways you might well be right, but I really don't think Ian Murray is a good appointment. As I said it's at best uninspired, and at worst absolutely baffling. The man would have no evidence what so ever to back up any claim that he fits any part of the job description.

His track record shows no sign at all of youth development - he tended to sign old pros on their way out of the game. There's no sign at all that he's a good coach - he certainly didn't improve Chris Kane or Paul McGinn. There's no sign of tactical ability - Dumbarton conceded far too many goals to back that claim. He hasn't had a team promoted. Even the claim he had Dumbarton punching above their weight - REALLY? Livingston were the only club the finished ahead of that could back up that claim and yet they went into financial meltdown and suffered a large points deduction to end up there.

Fcuking Zzzzzzzzzz.....

How much quality can a part time team attract or even develop themselves?

Also, they would still have finished above Livy had they not had points deducted.

I've said several times that he wouldn't have been my first choice but I think the negativity surrounding this appointment is harsh.

Wouldn't matter who got the job, the same twats would have a moan about it.

Edited by davidg

Some posters seem to find trolling an entertainment, it's beyond tedious on here at times and it's the usual suspects who keep it going under various different alias accounts. As another poster said its about time there was an ignore function for android devices on here.

Relax bud, don't let them get to you, you've just gotta troll with it..thumbup2.gif

Got to admire the amount of bites Captain Sensible and StuD get with fairly standard bait.

People need to realise they would have said the exact same thing no matter who got the job.

It's even more amusing when you know that one of them is playing the other like a fiddle.wink.png

Edited by FTOF

How much quality can a part time team attract or even develop themselves?

Also, they would still have finished above Livy had they not had points deducted.

I've said several times that he wouldn't have been my first choice but I think the negativity surrounding this appointment is harsh.

Wouldn't matter who got the job, the same twats would have a moan about it.

Why shouldn't a club like Dumbarton be attractive to part time players? Dumbarton isn't in the wilderness somewhere, it's within close commutable distance of Glasgow - where loads of people work and study during the day - and it can easily draw players from Renfrewshire, Inverclyde as well as a huge area in Dunbartonshire right they way out to the West through Helensborough, Balloch, Alexandria and beyond where they really do have the area to themselves. I would imagine they were better placed to recruit players than the likes of Alloa, who share a region with several other part time clubs like Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion, East Stirling as well as a number of BIG Junior clubs who will offer good money to players.

Why shouldn't a club like Dumbarton be attractive to part time players? Dumbarton isn't in the wilderness somewhere, it's within close commutable distance of Glasgow - where loads of people work and study during the day - and it can easily draw players from Renfrewshire, Inverclyde as well as a huge area in Dunbartonshire right they way out to the West through Helensborough, Balloch, Alexandria and beyond where they really do have the area to themselves. I would imagine they were better placed to recruit players than the likes of Alloa, who share a region with several other part time clubs like Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion, East Stirling as well as a number of BIG Junior clubs who will offer good money to players.

He's obviously managed to attract the best available or did the best he could with what he got as they are the best part time club in the land...

Thanks for backing me up there, numpty.

Can I ask what interest you have with St Mirren please

You don't support St Mirren stuart.......1eye.gif Keep tryingwhistling.gif

That's where you're wrong and where Dickos problem lies.He does support St Mirren and,as much as he'd like to,he can't stop supporting St Mirren.He had to put a brave face on after his dressing down from SGG but like the rest of us........he is a BUD for life.

He's obviously managed to attract the best available or did the best he could with what he got as they are the best part time club in the land...

Thanks for backing me up there, numpty.

But did he overachieve which the the argument that keeps being made here to support his appointment?

I don't think he has done. I think Dumbarton were sitting in exactly the position you would have expected them to be in with the only exception this season being Livingston who obviously had their own issues. The number of goals Dumbarton scored and conceded should be of massive concern.

It's true that someone would be unhappy no matter who the club appointed, but there were undeniably better managers available who could demonstrate their ability from their managerial record whether it was in the form of youth development, in the form of building a team that has achieved promotion, or in their clear tactical ability in making an average bunch of players really difficult to beat. Murray was a poor choice no matter how you or the board try to justify it.

Murray was a poor choice no matter how you or the board try to justify it.

Why was Murray a poor choice as St Mirren manager. Please refer me to his St Mirren results, signings, and even if you want to give opinions, please give me your opinion on his St Mirren tactics and performances so far.

Thanks.

That's where you're wrong and where Dickos problem lies.He does support St Mirren and,as much as he'd like to,he can't stop supporting St Mirren.He had to put a brave face on after his dressing down from SGG but like the rest of us........he is a BUD for life.

Nah HSS. Look being utter honest here I do have a level of feeling for the club. I was a fan for a lot of years and supported the club, in the real manner, home and away for many, many years. These days I wouldn't class myself as either a fan or a supporter. I class myself more as an occasional customer who will visit St Mirren Park on occasion to watch a sport I am passionate about and to sit with one of my oldest friends.

It may be that I just define a "fan" or a "supporter" differently to others but I certainly don't envisage a time in the future where I would ever feel supportive of the actions of the board, the manager, of players or of fellow supporters ever again. For that to happen I would need to see a massive sea change amongst people who have no interest in changing towards making the club much more of a cause rather than a football club. There would have to be far more of a focus on the wider community and of the good that could be done by a football club for the people in the town. And I'm certainly not fanatical any more as anyone sitting near me at any of those matches will easily observe.

Nah HSS. Look being utter honest here I do have a level of feeling for the club. I was a fan for a lot of years and supported the club, in the real manner, home and away for many, many years. These days I wouldn't class myself as either a fan or a supporter. I class myself more as an occasional customer who will visit St Mirren Park on occasion to watch a sport I am passionate about and to sit with one of my oldest friends.

It may be that I just define a "fan" or a "supporter" differently to others but I certainly don't envisage a time in the future where I would ever feel supportive of the actions of the board, the manager, of players or of fellow supporters ever again. For that to happen I would need to see a massive sea change amongst people who have no interest in changing towards making the club much more of a cause rather than a football club. There would have to be far more of a focus on the wider community and of the good that could be done by a football club for the people in the town. And I'm certainly not fanatical any more as anyone sitting near me at any of those matches will easily observe.

With a scenario like that, anyone would wonder why you were invited to a small gathering of fans in the boardroom at the time of the Rangers crisis, and indeed, why you didn't refuse the invitation.

Why was Murray a poor choice as St Mirren manager. Please refer me to his St Mirren results, signings, and even if you want to give opinions, please give me your opinion on his St Mirren tactics and performances so far.

Thanks.

Really? What a ridiculous argument. Time will tell whether I was right or not Poz and no doubt if Murray leads St Mirren to the Champions League these pages will be dug out time and time again just like Hansons ones about a young Manchester United side have been. But I think what if far more likely to happen over the next two years will be pages and pages on here of me telling you I told you so as fans call for the managers head after yet another heavy defeat and long runs of matches without wins.

With a scenario like that, anyone would wonder why you were invited to a small gathering of fans in the boardroom at the time of the Rangers crisis, and indeed, why you didn't refuse the invitation.

You are re-writing history. If you'll remember the events surrounding that Div posted on here asking people who were interested in the clubs position regarding the Rangers saga and the 10000Hours CIC programme to apply to go along to the meeting. I certainly had an interest in both of those subjects, I applied and Div accepted my application. You'll maybe remember me prefacing one of my early comments by saying that everyone in the room knew my position on St Mirren FC these days and that I had fallen out of love with the club - not one of the 14 other fans in the room suggested I should leave, neither did any of the directors present.

Really? What a ridiculous argument. Time will tell whether I was right or not Poz and no doubt if Murray leads St Mirren to the Champions League these pages will be dug out time and time again just like Hansons ones about a young Manchester United side have been. But I think what if far more likely to happen over the next two years will be pages and pages on here of me telling you I told you so as fans call for the managers head after yet another heavy defeat and long runs of matches without wins.

How is it a ridiculous argument. Seriously. You claim Murray was a poor choice as St Mirren manager. He hasn't even started the job. Some may have fancied Teale, some may have fancied Adams, some may have fancied someone from Ireland who was shite in Scotland - all fair enough.

Is Ian Murray going to lead St Mirren to the Champions League? Is he fcuk as like.

Tell you what though. Here's the truth - neither you nor I know what success or otherwise he will bring. We appointed Danny Lennon and I said 'Who? What? Lower league diddy' - won a trophy and retained top flight status. We appointed Tom Hendrie and I thought 'Who? Maths Teacher? WTF'. We signed Andy Dorman and I thought 'Who the fcuk is this guy?'. Conor Newton? Who?

Then we signed Camara and Djemba Djemba and I thought 'Good stuff - got a pedigree and are fit, not injury prone duds, great signings'.

Just shows you eh? You never know, do you? Best not to write anyone off as a dud before they've even played / managed / signed anyone... Eh?

Nah, of course not. He's shite and you know it. My apologies.

Edited by pozbaird

You are re-writing history. If you'll remember the events surrounding that Div posted on here asking people who were interested in the clubs position regarding the Rangers saga and the 10000Hours CIC programme to apply to go along to the meeting. I certainly had an interest in both of those subjects, I applied and Div accepted my application. You'll maybe remember me prefacing one of my early comments by saying that everyone in the room knew my position on St Mirren FC these days and that I had fallen out of love with the club - not one of the 14 other fans in the room suggested I should leave, neither did any of the directors present.

I am not re-writing history, you accepted an invitation to attend such a meeting and were one of the most vocal people there. Not the actions of the persona(s) you troll as on here, which is my point. If I got details of the invitation process wrong - apologies.

How is it a ridiculous argument. Seriously. You claim Murray was a poor choice as St Mirren manager. He hasn't even started the job. Some may have fancied Teale, some may have fancied Adams, some may have fancied simeone from Ireland who was shite in Scotland - all fair enough.

Is Ian Murray going to lead St Mirren to the Champions League? Is he fcuk as like.

Tell you what though. Here's the truth - neither you nor I know what success or otherwise he will bring. We appointed Danny Lennon and I said 'Who? What? Lower league diddy' - won a trophy and retained top flight status. We appointed Tom Hendrie and I thought 'Who? Maths Teacher? WTF'. We signed Andy Dorman and Ai thought 'Who the fcuk is this guy?'. Conor Newton? Who?

Then we signed Camara and Djemba Djemba and I thought 'Good stuff - got a pedigree and are fit, not injury prone duds, great signings'.

Just shows you eh? You never know, do you? Best not to write anyone off as a dud before they've even played / managed / signed anyone... Eh?

Nah, of course not. He's shite and you know it. My apologies.

Speak for yourself. I knew about Tom Hendrie when he was appointed St Mirren manager. I knew of his achievements at Berwick Rangers and I had seen his side play. I remember my initial comments on the official website forum being extremely positive about the change. Like others I hadn't called it. IIRC most, like me, were expecting Campbell Money to get the nod but I was pleasantly surprised when they went for Hendrie who I saw as an exciting and ambitious manager whose side I had witnessed play very attack minded football.

As for Lennon, I was also very aware of Lennon at the time of his appointment. He had already been running coaching classes within North Lanarkshire and was being very highly quoted by Community Coaches in the local area like Alan Taylor, Andy Smith and Stevie Hamilton.

Anyone sitting behind the Hendrie dugout during his reign could have called the Coughlin disaster. I certainly did. At the time I said again on the official forum that I couldn't understand why McPherson was being brought in as an Assistant and Coughlin was being promoted. I'd said if anything it should have been the other way round.

You're right about Dorman and Newton though - and Isma Goncalves for that matter. I'd never heard of any of them before they joined St Mirren and I haven't heard much about them since leaving either.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I am not re-writing history, you accepted an invitation to attend such a meeting and were one of the most vocal people there. Not the actions of the persona(s) you troll as on here, which is my point. If I got details of the invitation process wrong - apologies.

I'm always one of the most vocal people on here. rolleyes.gif There's no persona - or certainly no change in persona that's for sure. As I said I prefaced one of my first comments on the night by outlining my status and while I thought Gilmour looked somewhat surprised at what I was saying (maybe he thought I'd spent the 13 years previous on one big long wind up), not one person objected to me being there. I came out of the meeting and detailed point by point how the meeting went and I made my comments, as I had done at the meeting. No-one challenged my version of the main events, although Stewart Gilmour did pick me up on one of my points where I had quoted him saying it was inaccurate. I apologised, amended the detail and then challenged him on the amount of money he was saying Third Division sides were getting from the SPL TV deal to which he then apologised and admitted his figures had been out of date insisting he hadn't tried to mislead anyone.

I would have assumed after the meeting that many in there felt that I had offered good value at the meeting for the seat that I took. Certainly the people who sought me out to talk to me afterwards seemed to be agreeable. I do however remember Oaksoft and a few others on here taking issue with the fact that I was there. I had attended hoping to hear more about the 10000Hours bid from the directors side, sadly we were all told very early on in the meeting that they wouldn't entertain that.

Edited by Stuart Dickson