S.n.p. To Push Through Foxhunting Reform?

stlucifer

Let me say from the outset that I am not anti SNP. BUT...

The SNP have openly stated that they are intending to vote against a bill that revokes limits on the number of dogs chasing a fox. WHY?

They claim they want to give the Tories a reminder of their vulnerability but surely, by not doing so by stealth, they will simply galvanise the backbenchers to vote through a bill that some of them don't even believe in?

For me, If the SNP really wanted to bloody the Tory nose they should have kept their intentions, or at least the motivation for said, as much in-house as possible.

I don't believe this is the right vehicle to be flexing the political muscles, nor do I think the SNP have a moral right to use this bill as such given it simply would bring England and Wales into line with the policy in Scotland.

Personally I believe the laws should be tightened in Scotland as there is no way to police how the fox meets his/her maker when a bloodthirsty pack of hounds is chasing it followed by a tallyho brigade who see the fox as a pest, at best, a toy at worst.

Edited by stlucifer

Guest TPAFKATS

Seems foolish of the SNP to walk in to the trap here.

That was my initial thoughts, however it would appear that all bets are off regarding agreements on what issues to vote on that are English only.

Firstly, the SNP claim that there is a scottish dimension.

Secondly, this bill isn't English only.

Thirdly, after watching about 500 english mps not turn up for the debate on the Scotland Bill, then dutifully troop into vote against EVERY amendment put forward by 56 or 57 of our 59 representatives; it's now a case of f**k'em.

Quite the brass neck from the SNP to flip flop on that so early. If they wanted to vote on it, fair enough.. Just don't say you're not going to in the first place.

Sturgeon actually identified this bill individually as one the SNP wouldn't be voting on before the election. Now it's came about she's changed her mind... Quite shameless really.

Also saying this bill will affect Scotland is blatant nonsense really. Fox hunting was never that widespread in Scotland in the first place.

Quite the brass neck from the SNP to flip flop on that so early. If they wanted to vote on it, fair enough.. Just don't say you're not going to in the first place.

Sturgeon actually identified this bill individually as one the SNP wouldn't be voting on before the election. Now it's came about she's changed her mind... Quite shameless really.

Also saying this bill will affect Scotland is blatant nonsense really. Fox hunting was never that widespread in Scotland in the first place.

Really ??? There are at least 10 hunts still nationally registered and prior to the change in the law in Scotland there were over 40. it's still a big thing in rural areas. Oh and the OP has totally mucked up, the SNP are set to vote against RELAXING the laws in England !

Edited by Ayrshire Saints

Wrong TC, try living in Houston right next to Fox and Hounds, you hear the dogs still being trained, the upper class twats still blowing horns. SNP are opposing this bill on moral grounds. Good on them and damn the Tories who will of course help out their fat rich chums

To many bored posters on here, that cant talk football.

the upper class twats still blowing horns. SNP are opposing this bill on moral grounds.

Hmmm.

This wee excerpt from your post clearly demonstrates it's fugaw tae dae wi morality - it's political. Politics latching onto a currently trendy bit of 'morality'.

Which is all that Top Cat was pointing out, though he quite rightly also notes that it has been a cack-handed bit of politicking from the wee wummin.

Wrong TC, try living in Houston right next to Fox and Hounds, you hear the dogs still being trained, the upper class twats still blowing horns. SNP are opposing this bill on moral grounds. Good on them and damn the Tories who will of course help out their fat rich chums

To many bored posters on here, that cant talk football.

Hmm, upper class horn blowing types...................

Sounds like Audi Merc and Porche keys in the fruit bowl then..........

Near the Fox and Hounds you say.................whistling.gif

Guest TPAFKATS

So it appears the snp don't even have to vote against it, as the Tory gov has now dropped the proposed changes due to being likely to lose the vote.

What was it camoron said in April ' vote labour get snp dictating policy'

LOL

Edited by TPAFKATS

I think everybody is believing the scare stories in the right wing press here. What actually made the Tories cancel the vote was the number of refuseniks on their own benches. The Tories have an outright majority in the House and had they been able to rely on their own MPs they would have won the vote, irrespective of how the SNP voted. When you are in power you take it as a given that the opposition will vote against you - your problems only occur when you your own won't toe the party line. I'm betting they didn't want to chance their constituency parties turning against sitting MPs who voted against the bill because Tory root and branch sees fox hunting as an inalienable right.

Guest TPAFKATS

I think everybody is believing the scare stories in the right wing press here. What actually made the Tories cancel the vote was the number of refuseniks on their own benches. The Tories have an outright majority in the House and had they been able to rely on their own MPs they would have won the vote, irrespective of how the SNP voted. When you are in power you take it as a given that the opposition will vote against you - your problems only occur when you your own won't toe the party line. I'm betting they didn't want to chance their constituency parties turning against sitting MPs who voted against the bill because Tory root and branch sees fox hunting as an inalienable right.

Combination of both as some labour were originally voting with gov on this?

What a bizarre title this thread has, the SNP are set to OPPOSE a bill to change the law on fox hunting in England and Wales.

Yes. But telling all and sundry that the aim is to vote down a Tory bill was more likely to bring all the blue detractors back into the fold and allow the bill to pass by a conservative majority. Obviously Cameron doesn't want to take the chance though.

Yes. But telling all and sundry that the aim is to vote down a Tory bill was more likely to bring all the blue detractors back into the fold and allow the bill to pass by a conservative majority. Obviously Cameron doesn't want to take the chance though.

Just like you alluded to in your opening post, Cameron would have been stupid to have played that hand too early.

I don't know who is playing the smartest game here though. Cameron will be delighted that this will galvanise English support for EVEL which will, in effect, lock Labour out of control at Westminster for decades, whilst the SNP will be glad that tomorrows front page headlines won't be about the Scottish NHS woefully missing yet another Scottish Government target, this time on strokes - with just 50% of stroke patients in NHS Lothian and NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde receiving appropriate care.

Sorry TC that's not correct.