Trialists Update

I'm sure you're correct.

However, couldn't the club have contacted the boy to let him know that this was the case?

Perhaps they did.

What was the boy to do wait for a decision or try his luck elsewhere.

It would appear that the manager has bigger priorities to spend his budget on but depending on how he gets on bringing in other players will depend on whether he goes back to consider Rooney.

Perhaps they did.

What was the boy to do wait for a decision or try his luck elsewhere.

It would appear that the manager has bigger priorities to spend his budget on but depending on how he gets on bringing in other players will depend on whether he goes back to consider Rooney.

Did you read the post from the person who spoke to the boy?

Shaun Rooney now training with Hearts. The club haven't spoken to him or his agent about any offer of a deal so he's moved on with his quest for a full time contract.

Edited by FTOF

Did you read the post from the person who spoke to the boy?

Yes it says they haven't offered him a contract but it doesn't say that they've closed the door on offering him a deal.

It would appear that they're looking at alternative options. However they haven't ruled him out or have they?

FFS! Why are people so f**king quick to hose our club at any opportunity. The likelihood is that nobody on here knows the facts so it's all just conjecture but don't let that get in the way of a good story about a young player who has split opinion among those who've seen him.

Maybe calling his agent was on somebody's "to do" list for today and they haven't got around to it yet. Who gives a f**k?

FFS! Why are people so f**king quick to hose our club at any opportunity. The likelihood is that nobody on here knows the facts so it's all just conjecture but don't let that get in the way of a good story about a young player who has split opinion among those who've seen him.

Maybe calling his agent was on somebody's "to do" list for today and they haven't got around to it yet. Who gives a f**k?

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seems there's a never ending rush to jump aboard the bandwagon.

Edited by faraway saint

Spot on I can't understand why people think we should sign Rooney and not look to see if there are better options available.

We might end up signing him who knows. Give the manager and the club a break FFS.

Spot on I can't understand why people think we should sign Rooney and not look to see if there are better options available.

We might end up signing him who knows. Give the manager and the club a break FFS.

Point missed completely.

It matters inasmuch as it might have an impact on the image of the club in the context of attracting players. That, in turn, could affect the extent to which the club can compete in the transfer market, and therefore in the league. So, aye, in that respect, I do give a f**k.

Its not all conjecture incidentally, based on the fact that we have a member of the forum who knows this lad well and has been kept up to date with what has been happening throughout his trial. Granted, we might be hearing one side of the story, but the club has form when it comes to communication and PR.

Edited by Drew

Okay what is the point?

The point, if I may interject, is the way the club have, seemingly, dealt with the situation, not the fact he's not been made an offer.

There are usually reasons for things that happen or not but the willingness to put the boot into the club is incessant with many of our support.

If I'm wrong then f**k off! tongue.png

Edited by faraway saint

It matters inasmuch as it might have an impact on the image of the club in the context of attracting players. That, in turn, could affect the extent to which the club can compete in the transfer market, and therefore in the league. So, aye, in that respect, I do give a f**k.

Its not all conjecture incidentally, based on the fact that we have a member of the forum who knows this lad well and has been kept up to date with what has been happening throughout his trial. Granted, we might be hearing one side of the story, but the club has form when it comes to communication and PR.

From what I'm reading we've not made our mind up yet. We're considering our options.

Can I just point out that neither myself or the lad Rooney himself have said anything derisory about the club or the staff. It's just that no decision seems to have been made about him as yet. No big deal he's entitled to try his luck with another club and that's what he has done.

The club at some point will either take up the option to offer him a deal or not. That's football and the boy himself knows how it works and is perfectly happy with the situation.

Can I just point out that neither myself or the lad Rooney himself have said anything derisory about the club or the staff. It's just that no decision seems to have been made about him as yet. No big deal he's entitled to try his luck with another club and that's what he has done.

The club at some point will either take up the option to offer him a deal or not. That's football and the boy himself knows how it works and is perfectly happy with the situation.

No need to point it out, you have no place on the bandwagon, it's already full. wink.png

That is indeed a genuine problem with sifting so many trialists, keeping them hanging around hoping for a deal and then just ignoring them. Others will think twice about coming if they feel they will be treated better elsewhere. Good luck to the lad.

That is indeed a genuine problem with sifting so many trialists, keeping them hanging around hoping for a deal and then just ignoring them. Others will think twice about coming if they feel they will be treated better elsewhere. Good luck to the lad.

Aye right enough after all Rooney had a lot better options than coming on trial with us.

We are 100% correct to try and get the best players possible for our limited budget.

The thing is we might yet going back and offering him a deal if other options don't work out.

Maybe he wasn't just hanging around, maybe it was open ended and his intermediary was off working on other deals anyway. Perhaps it's standard fare for St Mirren to not contact the intermediary unless a deal is there. He's moved on to Hearts, did his intermediary tell our club? We just don't know any of the answers, but I'm sure it's not the case that nobody from our cub could be arsed.

Here's one scenario for how it may have gone.

Shaun's intermediary arranges the trial having previously discussed potential wages, probably a range as opposed to a set number, for both full or Dev. Shaun comes in, with no promises and hopefully he's professional enough to not tell friends anything. Shaun's intermediary then takes that deal round the doors to see who bites and keeps anyone biting up to date. After two weeks it looks like our club won't take things on so the intermediary arranges a switch to Hearts. Nobody actually involved has any ill feelings as it's probably understood that it's up to intermediary to get the feedback, but he'll realise it sometimes just doesn't come.

Maybe he wasn't just hanging around, maybe it was open ended and his intermediary was off working on other deals anyway. Perhaps it's standard fare for St Mirren to not contact the intermediary unless a deal is there. He's moved on to Hearts, did his intermediary tell our club? We just don't know any of the answers, but I'm sure it's not the case that nobody from our cub could be arsed.

Here's one scenario for how it may have gone.

Shaun's intermediary arranges the trial having previously discussed potential wages, probably a range as opposed to a set number, for both full or Dev. Shaun comes in, with no promises and hopefully he's professional enough to not tell friends anything. Shaun's intermediary then takes that deal round the doors to see who bites and keeps anyone biting up to date. After two weeks it looks like our club won't take things on so the intermediary arranges a switch to Hearts. Nobody actually involved has any ill feelings as it's probably understood that it's up to intermediary to get the feedback, but he'll realise it sometimes just doesn't come.

Or...someone at the club could have picked up the phone and given him feedback after his last game??? Isn't that the minimum a trialist should expect when testing out for a new job? Jeez the club are quick to tell us through the media when an out of contract player 'Mcginn' just doesn't show up or make contact, but they cant seemingly be arsed to let this boy know if its worth his while to persist, or try elsewhere.

I wonder if yourself and a few other posters will be so sanguine should he land a deal at Hearts or one of or league rivals and make an impact???

Aye right enough after all Rooney had a lot better options than coming on trial with us.

We are 100% correct to try and get the best players possible for our limited budget.

The thing is we might yet going back and offering him a deal if other options don't work out.

It seems he did cause he's now with Hearts!

Drew, you are absolutely correct on the club's "previous" but when do we give them a break?

Drew, you are absolutely correct on the club's "previous" but when do we give them a break?

I try to give them a break when it's due. The problem is, lapses can be costly, and frustrating. Granted, we don't know the full story here, but, as I suggested earlier, on the face of it, this isn't an ideal way to deal with players. I know a wee bit of the background to this one, and it does seem as though the lad has been left hanging. That doesn't give the best impression.