The Stadium

Why do people moan about everything.

I've a great idea why don't we knock it down and build a nice stadium where we will win all the time? We can build it nice an high with great views.

Or why not live in the real world and realise this is our stadium lets get used to it and be proud of it. All the greeting in the world won't change a thing.

The majority of issues raised seem perfectly valid to me - disabled access, state of cleanliness etc. If I'm expected to pay 20 quid to spend a a couple of hours in there, I reserve the right to comment on its fitness for purpose.

It is daft to deny that the character (or lack thereof) and state of a stadium isn't a significant element of supporting your club. FFS, people become obsessed with strips (sometimes with good reason), and they are only relevant for a season.

I really like the new ground - and that's from someone who was there in the pre-seating days in the old North Bank.

But this is a very good point.

We've got seats in the very back row at the middle of the west stand - so probably best view you can get - and while it's good, if you're much nearer the front the view is poor.

Much as I'd hate to have a two-sided stadium like the Accies, and I think the raised stands look a bit weird, from a view perspective if everything was raised 10 feet views all round would be miles better - and we'd have loads more room under the stands.

Oh.... and filled in corners :-)

I guess it's all about personal preference, my seat is two rows back and I love the view from it.............I have one of those Scotland season tickets too, my seat is sixteen rows back and I hate it!!

Irrespective of results or performances, I just don't like the place. It has no soul. Maybe over the years it will get some, and younger fans will connect with it, the way many of us did with LS.

Exactly..........not a moan or a bleat, a simple observation and expression of taste. Some like , some don't.

Fwiw, football in Scotland and the attending culture has changed and been subject to stringent control and change , imo to the game's detriment.

The customer experience at St Mirren park is now a bi product to an extent ( depends on your point of view of course ) of the crowd controlling zealots.

fwiw I bet there's a decent old atmosphere at Crappielow on Friday........................therein lies a tale ( of the bank )

whistling.gif

Edited by Seaside Nipper

Love Street definitely benefits from the nostalgic glow of the days of yore. I bet in the 1890's people used to say about Love St ' Aye, it's nice and modern but it doesn't have the character of Westmarch'. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

I remember several games at Love St in the Coughlin era with gates of under 2000 and an atmosphere like a morgue.

The fact it was such a large stadium made the lack of atmosphere with smaller crowds much more apparent.

Also the lack of sides on the North Bank made it a fecking freezing place in the winter.

Personally, I prefer the new ground. There's been several tremendous atmospheres there. Most memorably the two victories over Celtic under Gus and the Christmas Eve win over Rangers (now defunct). If the team is playing well the atmosphere will follow.

Love Street definitely benefits from the nostalgic glow of the days of yore. I bet in the 1890's people used to say about Love St ' Aye, it's nice and modern but it doesn't have the character of Westmarch'. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

I remember several games at Love St in the Coughlin era with gates of under 2000 and an atmosphere like a morgue.

The fact it was such a large stadium made the lack of atmosphere with smaller crowds much more apparent.

Also the lack of sides on the North Bank made it a fecking freezing place in the winter.

Personally, I prefer the new ground. There's been several tremendous atmospheres there. Most memorably the two victories over Celtic under Gus and the Christmas Eve win over Rangers (now defunct). If the team is playing well the atmosphere will follow.

That's the key point.

^^^^^^^ Reaching new levels of desperation getting excited about 3 specific games.1eye.gif

Those 3 specific games include the clubs biggest league win over Celtic in 115 years and the only Scottish cup triumph over Celtic in my lifetime.

And they were part of one of the most successful era's in the club's entire history!

Those 3 specific games include the clubs biggest league win over Celtic in 115 years and the only Scottish cup triumph over Celtic in my lifetime.

And they were part of one of the most successful era's in the club's entire history!

snore.gifsnore.gifsnore.gif

PS Won 26 league games from 95 at home in the last 5 seasons, well worth the money, eh? 1eye.gif

PPS Are you saying our home record was a major factor in this "most successful era"..............bye1.gif

Edited by faraway saint

snore.gifsnore.gifsnore.gif

PS Won 26 league games from 95 at home in the last 5 seasons, well worth the money, eh? 1eye.gif

PPS Are you saying our home record was a major factor in this "most successful era"..............bye1.gif

The stadium was opened more than 5 years ago! 1eye.gif

How does that recored you have quoted above compare with our home league record against teams in the top 12 at Love Street?

We finished in 8th position in seasons 11/12 & 13/14… the only times we have finished above 10th in the past QUARTER OF A CENTURY.

Leaving aside the era from 1978 to 1989 which I have already mentioned as one of the 2 other successful era’s, we have only finished above 10th on 7 other occasions since the 1920s.

In order to achieve these league positions - 2 of the best finishes in the club's history - we won only 19 games in total (home & away) out of 76.

Edited by nosferatu

The stadium was opened more than 5 years ago! 1eye.gif

How does that recored you have quoted above compare with our home league record against teams in the top 12 at Love Street?

We finished in 8th position in seasons 11/12 & 13/14… the only times we have finished above 10th in the past QUARTER OF A CENTURY.

Leaving aside the era from 1978 to 1989 which I have already mentioned as one of the 2 other successful era’s, we have only finished above 10th on 7 other occasions since the 1920s.

In order to achieve these league positions - 2 of the best finishes in the club's history - we won only 19 games in total (home & away) out of 76.

Bluster..................well done. 1eye.gif

Now, back on topic, I love our new ground, nice facilities. thumbup2.gif

Like the new stadium or not, the fact is that we've enjoyed one of our most successful era's ever at the stadium and gates have been amazing.

The attendance at home Dumbarton on Saturday was bigger than the gate we got at home to Hearts in 1985 where we won to qualify for Europe FFS!

We had already qualifed for Europe by beating Dumbarton 1-0.

The headline was something along the lines of "Saints qualify for Europe but who cares?" to illustrate the small home crowd for that game.

You're getting your matches mixed up.

Seeing as we're talking about the stadium I found an amusing article from the late 1980s yesterday.

Talked about plans for a £30million new stadium at Love Street which would generate £1million a year rent. Because we'd have "one of the best Quality Street stadiums in bonanza country near Glasgow Airport", we'd no longer have to sell our top stars and would be looking for a place in Europe's elite. There would be a running track to keep Stuart Dickson happy and a source is quoted saying it would be the best thing to happen to Paisley and the west of Scotland.

Article finishes by saying we're only going one way - up - and is written by Alex Cameron "The man who gets it right".

So as Mr Cameron gets it right can any older fans tell us younger ones what this super stadium was like and why we ended up where we are now?