Greenhill Road

Getting out that bloody car park after that game !!! Was only bearable because we won and 3/4 filled the place ourselves , shite cup , but great support for the team that day smile.png

Now that was a great day !! Remember a lot of Buddies getting stuck in the grass as it turned boggy after the game and helping push them out then having to fend of around 30+ section B in town centre afterwards thumbdown.gif

I was not a fan of the New Ground doesn't have any atmosphere it's to small you can't go to Cosmos Chippy after the match you could always skin money off you dad and Grampa before and after the match in the Wee Barrel!

But when you go to Greenock pay £17 pounds to stand on a Cheap park bench on a concrete Hill with no roof over your head I have much healthier an opinion on it Now!

Things change I could no longer take my Kids to the Wee Barrel before or after the match!

I would moan my head off if I had a pillar in the way now.

The old ground was a dump falling apart in the end! What it did have was memories and traditions and I was younger!

If we had not moved to the New ground would we still be at Love Street? Would we still be in business!

No it's future generations who will create the memories and traditions of attending Greenhill road!

And the people who moan should start singing St.Mirren songs even add in the old Love Street classics such as Cheer up Rajermaki or your going home in a Paisley Ambulance!

For me as a man approaching 40 I prefer the comfort of the New ground now!

Just hope when my boys are older they will have some fond memories of Greenhill Road as I did of Love Street!

• 2 months later...

I have no problem with the new stadium as such, especially compared to many others around the country. It does lack the atmosphere around the ground of Love Street which was dead easy to get to and you could enjoy a pint close by, good transport links and an easy walk to the ground and the ensuing build up as you headed for the turnstile queue.I now take the car and despite the wait at the end to get out the car park am still back home almost as quick as I was in days of old.

What is missing at present is some quality football, a real goal threat and more regular victories to savour. There have been some cracking games occasionally with a great atmosphere... beating Celtic 4-0, the pre christmas 2-1 win over a failing Rangers, the 4-1 Christmas thrashing of Dundee United to name but three.

A decent product on the park will fill seats and create atmosphere.

Yes that would go a long way improving the atmosphere.

However the reality is that the place resembles a shallow terraced wind tunnel. It is a brittle looking place , skin of brick and pre formed cladding.

It's location is unfortunate , but was inevitable given the state of the balance sheet and the consents etc etc etc. It is a real shame that there is no amenity like you refer above with town location, but heh hoh, this is the flip side of liquidation, so we'll need to suck it up.

Five or six years now, still feels new and a bit meh, sadly it will always look like a crap place to play senior football imo.

Edited by Seaside Nipper

However the reality is that the place resembles a shallow terraced wind tunnel. It is a brittle looking place , skin of brick and pre formed cladding.

It's location is unfortunate , but was inevitable given the state of the balance sheet and the consents etc etc etc. It is a real shame that there is no amenity like you refer above with town location, but heh hoh, this is the flip side of liquidation, so we'll need to suck it up.

Five or six years now, still feels new and a bit meh, sadly it will always look like a crap place to play senior football imo.

It has always been in Paisley.

I don't have a problem with the location its in Paisley 10min walk from town. you can even get the train along almost to the gate. Plenty parking spaces.

As for the stadium so many go on about the atmosphere I have been in there when it has been bouncing , not too often mind which has more to do with our terrible home record than the stadium.

The only downside I can pick is the roof is too short if it is raining and windy.

Some also say they would like to have seen a larger stadium yet we cant even half fill our new stadium with home fans so the stadium is big enough maybe even too big. There is another problem fans think we are a bigger club than we really are.

Results is the only problem we have.

If we had not moved to the New ground would we still be at Love Street? Would we still be in business!

Makes you wonder how clubs like Rangers, Hearts, Motherwell and Dundee, who were all in really deep shit, involving administration and liquidation still play in their spiritual homes....

No jokes about the Sevco Franchise please.

Makes you wonder how clubs like Rangers, Hearts, Motherwell and Dundee, who were all in really deep shit, involving administration and liquidation still play in their spiritual homes....

No jokes about the Sevco Franchise please.

An E, a B and a T walk into a bar.

All of them were under 18, but they had side letters to make it seem all ok. :)

I don't have a problem with the location its in Paisley 10min walk from town. you can even get the train along almost to the gate. Plenty parking spaces.As for the stadium so many go on about the atmosphere I have been in there when it has been bouncing , not too often mind which has more to do with our terrible home record than the stadium.The only downside I can pick is the roof is too short if it is raining and windy.Some also say they would like to have seen a larger stadium yet we cant even half fill our new stadium with home fans so the stadium is big enough maybe even too big. There is another problem fans think we are a bigger club than we really are.Results is the only problem we have.

Maybe the results now are not actually the problem , but they are truly reflective of the club we actually are. SPL football was maybe us punching above our weight and now we are experiencing the long overdue reality, after a bountiful last five or so years, comprising an eighth place finish once and a major cup.

Once I square that in ma heid , Greenhell will indeed become Greenhill , ST Mirren park and an overdue housewarming is all we need.

I need to recalibrate my expectations..............then I'll settle down

The football experience was totally different when we were at Love St but times have changed remarkably.

My first ever game was a Wed night winter game against Hearts. I was about 14 and went with some pals as none of my family were interested in football. There were no seats and no wire fence down the middle of the North Bank. Fans stood taunting each other with a 20 ft no-mans-land in between. Alcohol was allowed into stadiums. I remember bottles being chucked between the two sets of fans smashing on the steel roof trusses raining glass, beer and pish on the people below. Beer cans half full of pish were chucked constantly throughout the game. The tribalism was of high intensity with non-stop singing and taunting. For a 14 year old this was a pretty scary but exciting experience although I preferred to stand back and watch the action rather than participate. There was a hell of an atmosphere. And I was hooked for life unfortunately.

(Never saw a woman on the terraces and guys pished behind the back wall as there were no toilets up the back of the North Bank then.)

If we were still at Love St today the experience would not be like the one described above as the law and society has moved on. And the atmosphere would not be my early experiences.

At least in the new stadium we have decent toilets (Ladies as well!). We have better catering. We are safe. We have dry places to chat to pals and watch the game in a bit more comfort. There are no eejits pushing you down the terraces or throwing hot bovril or a half eaten pie at you.

The atmosphere will improve once we start winning some games (an average of 4 Home League wins per season since we moved will not generate any atmosphere). The other things that made a tasty atmosphere are now history smile.png

Edited by Sonny

Ah, the days of yore, when people used to throw cans of pish at you.

Our new ground is fine and is the envy of many. It's no surprise it's rented out regularly by the likes of the SFA.

It's not too big like Killie or Livi, the size is ideal for a club our size. It's right beside a motorway, a train station and an international airport. What better transport links you want?

It's also 10-15 minutes walk from the town centre, hardly the middle of nowhere.

When the team's playing well there's a cracking atmosphere. It's hardly the grounds fault that the team has been pretty consistently pish there since we moved.

There are two problems with the new ground (three if you include the football!) It's a souless place as quiet as the grave most weeks. That must affect the players.

I understand the logic of only having 8000 seats but the place could have been better designed

The ground is too low to create an atmosphere. Perhaps they should have built it like Hamilton's away stand - raised up about 8 feet. That would have made it seem bigger and higher sending more noise on to the playing surface without adding extra seats we don't need

And because it's so small most seats are pre-booked on season tickets or early purchases. That stops the young lads who make a choir being able to move together

Edited by Danny

There are two problems with the new ground (three if you include the football!) It's a souless place as quiet as the grave most weeks. That must affect the players.

I understand the logic of only having 8000 seats but the place could have been better designed

The ground is too low to create an atmosphere. Perhaps they should have built it like Hamilton's away stand - raised up about 8 feet. That would have made it seem bigger and higher sending more noise on to the playing surface without adding extra seats we don't need

And because it's so small most seats are pre-booked on season tickets or early purchases. That stops the young lads who make a choir being able to move together

There are over 3000 spare seats for the young yins to start a Choir.

Get in early find an unreserved batch of seats and start singing.

Easy.

Or join the Panda Club.

There are more than one or two problems with the new ground. One is the facilities and viewing positions for disabled fans. Another is the cramped physical space in the West Stand between the toilets and the outside wall of the stand - it must be only four or five steps wide. Another problem is when away fans get part of the West Stand and it gets even more cramped back there.

I used to be OK with the new ground, now I hate the bloody place.

Ah, the days of yore, when people used to throw cans of pish at you.

Our new ground is fine and is the envy of many. It's no surprise it's rented out regularly by the likes of the SFA.

It's not too big like Killie or Livi, the size is ideal for a club our size. It's right beside a motorway, a train station and an international airport. What better transport links you want?

It's also 10-15 minutes walk from the town centre, hardly the middle of nowhere.

When the team's playing well there's a cracking atmosphere. It's hardly the grounds fault that the team has been pretty consistently pish there since we moved.

You and Sonny are correct.