Mallan Away In January?

Of course the timing of the McLean sale was dreadful. What can we do? Hee-haw. What can Arabs fans do about becoming a feeder club for Celtic and seeing what was one of Scotland's strongest sides being reduced to bottom-of-the-league shite? Celtic reportedly now after Soutar at United? Sheesh.

Let's not kid ourselves. Get a half-decent talent at the likes of Dundee United or Hibs and in the blink of an eye they'll be in a Celtic shirt - or a Sevco one once those cnuts get back to the top flight. Get a half-decent talent at the likes of St Mirren and in the blink of an eye they'll be in an Aberdeen or Hibs shirt.

We then look at Cowdenbeath or someone's half-decent talent. No, hold on, that was a few seasons ago. Let me change that. We then look at some more loanees.

Mallan will leave. Undoubtably. He also won't leave for an English club paying the kinds of fees Accies got for their talented players. If St Mirren get another 'Mallan or McLean' - they'll be off for either peanuts or absolutely nothing too.

The sooner we accept this, and accept that clubs like ours can never, ever again, build (and importantly, keep) a genuinely strong team that won't be raped up the arse and destroyed before it even gets going, the better.

The football landscape in 2016 is the major reason why my interest in Scottish football is disappearing down the U-bend, while my interest in the NFL, and more specifically my support of the Denver Broncos and the Wembley International Series games is growing. Even if you don't enjoy the sport, which is fair enough, if you know anything about the way the sport works, at least you can agree - it's a fair fight.

I agree, modern football is shite.

So basically you're saying we should have reneged on the agreement we made with Kenny and his agent in the summer? Or are you saying the agreement didn't exist and Kenny signed for us for 2 years cause he loved the place and wanted to stay and the BOD made it all up?

The agreement makes perfect sense. Kenny clearly didn't want to sign for us again last summer. He was punting himself across the UK but no one else was interested. His options were then to go abroad for nothing (like Barry Douglas and others did) or sign for us.

I would be surprised if an agent agreed to a 'gentlemans agreement'. What reason is there not to have it in the contract?

(Im assuming it wasnt based on SGs comments at the time)

If the "gentleman's agreement" existed, I'd imagine we'd want to abide by it so we don't lose any other clients belonging to McLean's agent.

If I was McLean's agent and Saints had decided to ignore the gentleman's agreement, I'd certainly be telling all of my clients to look elsewhere.

I would be surprised if an agent agreed to a 'gentlemans agreement'. What reason is there not to have it in the contract?

(Im assuming it wasnt based on SGs comments at the time)

Maybe it was in the contract.

Maybe Kenny and his agent said to the BOD ' I will sign if you agree to let me go if my current compensation amount is met by another club during the next 2 years or I'm off abroad for nothing '.

Can hardly blame anyone for agreeing to that. If that had been agreed to and then turn round to Kenny in January and say oh we got a bid that matched your compensation but we changed our mind and rejected it. That's one way to have a very unhappy player on your hands.

Edited by TopCat

Maybe it was in the contract.

Maybe Kenny and his agent said to the BOD ' I will sign if you agree to let me go if my current compensation amount is met by another club during the next 2 years or I'm off abroad for nothing '.

Can hardly blame anyone for agreeing to that. If that had been agreed to and then turn round to Kenny in January and say oh we got a bid that matched your compensation but we changed our mind and rejected it. That's one way to have a very unhappy player on your hands.

Ah, so that would be a clause in the contract? Yes, yes, we are all more than familiar with them.

So why refer to a gentlemens agreement?

Ah, so that would be a clause in the contract? Yes, yes, we are all more than familiar with them.

You'll need to ask them. Maybe it was a gentlemanly agreement. Kenny had been at the club for a long time and he and his family will have known the chairman relatively well, maybe he was happy with SGG/The BOD's word and didn't need it to be written down.

It's hardly such an out there

concept.

Edited by TopCat

You'll need to ask them. Maybe it was a gentlemanly agreement. Kenny had been at the club for a long time and he and his family will have known the chairman relatively well, maybe he was happy with SGG/The BOD's word and didn't need it to be written down.

It's hardly such an out there

concept.

I think it is an out there concept in the context of professional football in the 21st Century.

Are you aware of any equivalent arrangements being in place in any other commercial/professional sphere (or pro football club, for that matter)? Indeed, would you accept a 'gentlemens agreement' as being a central pillar of your contract of employment?

I think it is an absurd concept.

I think it is an out there concept in the context of professional football in the 21st Century.

Are you aware of any equivalent arrangements being in place in any other commercial/professional sphere (or pro football club, for that matter)? Indeed, would you accept a 'gentlemens agreement' as being a central pillar of your contract of employment?

I think it is an absurd concept.

Off the top of my head:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/Sir_Alex_Ferguson/10396483/Cristiano-Ronaldo-told-by-Alex-Ferguson-Id-rather-shoot-you-than-do-a-deal-with-Real-Madrid.html

Alex Ferguson had a gentleman's agreement with Ronaldo and Real Madrid to sell him when he did, and admitted to it in his book. I'm sure there's thousands of less high profile examples.

Not so out there at all.

I, for one, am delighted that the Kenny McLean transfer fee debate has reared its head on Black and White Army once more.

I'm hoping this thread is followed by one discussing whether or not it was right to sack Gus.

Certainly strange when you consider that the board are wanting to sell up. Why would an agent/player agree to an unwritten agreement in these circumstances? If the club was sold and the new board weren't so 'gentlemanly', where would that have left McLean? I can't imagine any agent worth their salt not having this in writing.

McLean could of course have gone abroad for free... But if he or his agent thought that was in his best interests he'd have done that anyway!

We'll never know, but given Mclean's stock wasn't particularly high in the summer (no one paid the compo fee then) I wonder if we'd played hard ball if he'd have signed the contract regardless of any agreement. My hunch would be yes.

I'm hoping this thread is followed by one discussing whether or not it was right to sack Gus.

I was hoping for the Hall of Fame panels, 10000hours, last season's home kit or the Celtic signage at our ground.

Ah, the good old days. Forum just isnae' the same.

Has there been a higher transfer fee paid between two non OF Scottish clubs in the last few years?

If so, what was it? Just how much you think McLean is worth? He isn't actually that good, that's why he's at Aberdeen.

. .just another one of your usual irrelevant posts . .wink.png . .you are not that good yourself, either. .