We Need Gus Macpherson

shull

I think Danny Lennon was a better manager than Gus Macpherson, but the truth is you can't go backwards. Yogi fits the bill, or Jack Ross though that would be more of a risk, however as I understand it we can't afford to sack Rae all we can hope for is he has enough dignity that he feels he has to resign.

Can't imagine sacking Rae will be too expensive, his contract is up in May. A wee mutual consent agreement may suit both parties if things don't turn around in September.

12 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Yet another impressive result for Gus's Queens Park today, beating the filthy Ton 2-0 following on from beating Livi last week.

The Spiders are currently 5th in league 1 after their promotion from League 2 last year.  Wee Baldy certainly has them punching above their weight.  

Am I right in saying Gordon Scott was a big fan of Gus when he was a director? I vaguely remember him being against his sacking when it happened, could be wrong.

If our incumbent were to be removed, is the return of McPherson so unrealistic? 

Gus took us from a very similar position that we are currently in to the SPL.

7 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Gus took us from a very similar position that we are currently in to the SPL.

Gus latterly brought end of career journeymen to the club who largely failed to do the business (Wyness, Hamilton, Johnson etc). He didn't have a good reputation for working with the youth coaches to bring young lads through (he thought John McGinn was too wee and wouldn't make it in the game....). He also failed to utilise Ralston to the full having whined about training facilities to the BoD for years.

Gus more than did a turn for us, but that's in the past, and, as a familiar song goes, in the past it shall remain.

Edited by Drew

Big Yogi mentioned before but I'm not sure  he'd come to us although would probably do a job.

Id said after the Hibs game that Jamie Fulllarton was in the stand taking notes , ex player, has an academy in Spain and has ran academies in the championship down south.

Lets be honest , anything is better than this ....

29 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Unless GLS thinks differently.

If Gordon sat through the infamous cup final defeat against the dead club, I suspect he won't. For me, that was the match that killed off any favour Gus still enjoyed with many (most?) of our supporters (retain possession and take it to extra time, FFS!!!!).

We should be making a move for Jack Ross now, working absolute wonders at Alloa.

The 1st club in the SPL outside the old firm to sack their manager will be all over him like a cheap suit.

Jack Ross built his own squad over the close season, if he came here he would be working with players who imo are not committed to playing for St Mirren. Even the most experienced would struggle to sort that never mind an inexperienced one

Gives us something to look back on when it happens [emoji3]

I 100% honestly believe we still have a very good season ahead of us with the current set up.

Not too worried yet about slow start as I'd rather get a bad patch out the way early & pick up while those around us get there own bad patch.

League cup won 3 out of 4

League losing away to Raith & Home to Hibs is no disgrace.

Drawing away to Ayr & home to Morton after playing poorly is no disgrace

Mockery Mouse Cup played 2 won 2 scored 7

5 wins 2 draws 3 defeats while playing rubbish in my eyes is not the worst situation when you consider we can only improve

COYS

2 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

I 100% honestly believe we still have a very good season ahead of us with the current set up.

Not too worried yet about slow start as I'd rather get a bad patch out the way early & pick up while those around us get there own bad patch.

League cup won 3 out of 4

League losing away to Raith & Home to Hibs is no disgrace.

Drawing away to Ayr & home to Morton after playing poorly is no disgrace

Mockery Mouse Cup played 2 won 2 scored 7

5 wins 3 draws 2 defeats while playing rubbish in my eyes is not the worst situation when you consider we can only improve

COYS

Let's hope so.... but the form doesn't look great so far 

usually a win should inspire some confidence but an extra time win against Albion might not be that inspiring 

next week is really important ...

John McGinn was too wee and wouldn't make it in the game....). He also failed to utilise Ralston to the full having whined about training facilities to the BoD for years.

John McGinn was 15 when Gus left. Some call for him to make, can't imagine he was doing much work with the kids at that age. Is there a source for that or is it just hearsay?

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

John McGinn was 15 when Gus left. Some call for him to make, can't imagine he was doing much work with the kids at that age. Is there a source for that or is it just hearsay?

McLean was out the door as Gus never rated him

He never rated any of the youth and wasn't afraid to voice it

Wasn't on speaking terms with one of the directors and Longwell

26 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I was told by a very close family member (think biscuit tin). Its certainly as good a source as I require. Can you do better to refute what I'm saying?

ETA - any number of people who had connections with the club appreciated that John was an outstanding prospect. Gus seemed to be the notable exception.

Edited by Drew

38 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

McLean was out the door as Gus never rated him

He never rated any of the youth and wasn't afraid to voice it

Wasn't on speaking terms with one of the directors and Longwell

McLean was told by Gus that he would never play for the 1st team. This was mainly due to a Saturday training session where he was smelling of drink. 

Who? Gus?

Aye, his conversation with Gilmour went 'Er , sorry things aren't going too well Stuart and the product on the pitch is god awful, I've tried everything to get through to them , it hasn't worked.I can only imagine it must be the drink'

Gilmour said "Ok Gus, try again when you're sober" :P