Optimism

AR 1st Transfer window with only a few weeks to assess the squad, plan and CAPTURE signings :-

OUT

Reid
Conlan
Ridgers
McMullan
McLear (Loan)

IN

Quinn
Irvine
Cooper
Clarkson

Other than Cooper the other 3 are Premier class players - not sure any of those going were!

Not sure if he's finished - but who seriously does not think the squad is better off now? OK we don't yet have cover for Goalie other than Gilks and we would have loved another creative midfielder (It may still happen today, though unlikely) - but realistically this should be well received by all of us who were suffering from Murray shy..tis.

Hope the new boys gel quickly and the confidence and determination to win grows rapidly !!!!

Edited by Sweeper07

AR 1st Transfer window with only a few weeks to assess the squad, plan and CAPTURE signings :-

OUT

Reid

Conlan

Ridgers

McMullen

McLear (Loan)

IN

Quinn

Irvine

Cooper

Clarkson

Other than Cooper the other 3 are Premier class players - not sure any of those going were!

Not sure if he's finished - but who seriously does not think the squad is better off now? OK we don't yet have cover for Goalie other than Gilks and we would have loved another creative midfielder (It may still happen today, though unlikely) - but realistically this should be well received by all of us who were suffering from Murray shy..tis.

Hope the new boys gel quickly and the confidence and determination to win grows rapidly !!!!

Wouldn't say the players coming in are premiership class as they weren't deemed to be by there previous clubs or they would still be there

Wouldn't say the players coming in are premiership class as they weren't deemed to be by there previous clubs or they would still be there

Not necessarily true - everybody has budgets to work from. Ross County had 5 guys like Quinn vying for the same jersey.

It is also likely that with the other 2 it was an opportunity to trim costs and or let a cheaper player emerge!

Anyone of the 3 could do a job at Killie, Thistle, or Hamilton right now!

Not necessarily true - everybody has budgets to work from. Ross County had 5 guys like Quinn vying for the same jersey.

It is also likely that with the other 2 it was an opportunity to trim costs and or let a cheaper player emerge!

Anyone of the 3 could do a job at Killie, Thistle, or Hamilton right now!

Oh right so they got rid of players that could do a gd job in premiership to save money and no other premiership clubs came in for them because they couldn't compete with a championship club makes sense now you say it

Oh right so they got rid of players that could do a gd job in premiership to save money and no other premiership clubs came in for them because they couldn't compete with a championship club makes sense now you say it

The other teams obviously had no space or budget to get them in or felt that other targets were more important. No one in Scotland can grab everybody they would like at every window.

Even we had to shift 5 out to get 4 in !

I would suspect our budget has been stretched a bit further to give AR a chance to build a team and flee from relegation.

Do you think we could have got better guys on our budget?

Are they not better than those who left?

I think Clarkson showed Premiership class on Saturday - let's watch the others lift our team upwards in the coming weeks.

Edited by Sweeper07

The other teams obviously had no space or budget to get them in or felt that other targets were more important. No one in Scotland can grab everybody they would like at every window.

Even we had to shift 5 out to get 4 in !

I would suspect our budget has been stretched a bit further to give AR a chance to build a team and flee from relegation.

Do you think we could have got better guys on our budget?

Are they not better than those who left?

I think Clarkson showed Premiership class on Saturday - let's watch the others lift our team upwards in the coming weeks.

Where did I say they were not good enough signings?

We are a championship club not premiership.

More than happy with clarkson and Irvine signings.

Other 2 from what I've seen At previous clubs not impressed with but would be delighted if they do brilliant for us.

Your twisting my comment All I said was I don't think they are premiership quality players certainly clarkson was but so was Steven Thompson

Where did I say they were not good enough signings?

We are a championship club not premiership.

More than happy with clarkson and Irvine signings.

Other 2 from what I've seen At previous clubs not impressed with but would be delighted if they do brilliant for us.

Your twisting my comment All I said was I don't think they are premiership quality players certainly clarkson was but so was Steven Thompson

I have no intention of twisting yours or anyone's comments - but you previously said

"Wouldn't say the players coming in are premiership class as they weren't deemed to be by there previous clubs or they would still be there"

We are in the Championship - but 3 of our signings came from Premiership clubs. I am happy to agree that in recent weeks neither were 1st choice in their squads - but any week they could have been playing in the Premiership until we signed them. (I suspect if Dundee Utd had known earlier they would lose Souttar, Irvine might have been an option for them)

Neither player is over the hill, and I reiterate that all 3 could be doing a job for at least 3 premiership clubs.

Nevertheless - I am delighted that we agree that they are decent signings under the circumstances we are in - and let's see if Quinn can do a job for us too. Our midfield has been sadly lacking all season - He has good experience, can get a goal or two and with Goodwin back, could very well turn the quality and effectiveness of our midfield up a notch or two or four.

The jury is out on them all. Cooper I suspect was a bit more of a gamble, but cheaper than McMullan - so that balances the budget and gives a young player a chance to express himself - hopefully to our advantage too!

I think our whole squad has improved - more competition and potentially more lads who can score! We ain't going to trouble the top 3 - but wins could be far less rare than they were pre - AR

I am even more hopeful of what additions might now come in the summer!!

Edited by Sweeper07

Thought he did alright also .

Has he even been here 2 weeks yet ?

Once he and the other new lads get to know their new teammates and tactics etc , then we'll hopefully see a difference .

As per , some can't wait to judge for the worst .

Thought he did alright also .

Has he even been here 2 weeks yet ?

Once he and the other new lads get to know their new teammates and tactics etc , then we'll hopefully see a difference .

As per , some can't wait to judge for the worst .

Quinn has been about for a while now pretty sure a lot will have opinions on him already nothing up with that only rocco can prove them wrong hope he does.

If I remember you correctly you said howieson looked a good player .........

Disagree. He put in a power of work and did the spoiling unglamourous stuff well.

Couple of poor passes and room for improvement, but light years ahead of Carswell in the same role.

Don't bother with him he spouts pish every time he posts.

Quinn has been about for a while now pretty sure a lot will have opinions on him already nothing up with that only rocco can prove them wrong hope he does.

The majority think he's a good solid signing why do you hope he proves them wrong?

Disagree. He put in a power of work and did the spoiling unglamourous stuff well.

Couple of poor passes and room for improvement, but light years ahead of Carswell in the same role.

He made what was arguably the pass of the game with about 10 minutes to go. The proverbial 'defence - splitter' to Gallagher, who took the ball to the by-line and put in an inviting cross. Unfortunately, no-one was there to meet it....

Edited by Drew

Hoping we can continue to monitor whether optimism is justified through this thread or wherever.

There will be bad points dropped and players who make mistakes or don't have a good game for sure - BUT

1. Already we have won 3 out of the last 5 league games under AR. (Murray won 2 in 16) Now 10 points above automatic relegation, when not so long ago it was 3 or 4.

2. The squad is looking a bit stronger, we look a bit better tactically and have a few more players who can get goals.

3. The team will take time to gel and a couple of decent players might be back from injury soon. That should make us stronger and create more competition for places in the team.

4. AR has done a great job in a short period managing to CAPTURE better players, persuade the BOD to agreed to the consequences and offload 5 to help finance things.

5. Another couple of wins in the next few games and we will be looking upwards more than downwards.

We don't have any real superstars - but a good team can beat 11 better players on any day. (e.g. Well Done to Ross County)

I so hope we beat QOS in the next 2 matches - we could not realistically have thought that remotely likely during Murray's leadership (win 2 league games in a row - 2 in 16 was his record) but I suspect most of us are positive that we could win 1 or both now.

Edited by Sweeper07

Definitely two good results for us last night with Raith and Morton losing.

We are now just 3 points behind Morton having played the same amount of games. When Rae took over little over a month ago it was around 12.

Only 7 points off 4th too. If we can get 6 or more points from our next 3 games we will definitely put ourself in the mix for that final play off spot. Back to back wins against QOTS would be ideal.

Yes its far more positive under Rae, so far he has come across as grounded and realistic. His team will take shape, and its a crucial Feb, as TC says 6 points we are right in mix 2 points or less we are still in the sh!t.

But well done to AR, finally a curve upwards.... its a start