Return Of Tom Hendrie - A St Mirren Legend

shull

News

2000Champions.jpg
27 October 2016

An evening with the Millennium Champions

General SMiSA News
 Buythebuds, Stmirren, Plus Event

It was one the most dramatic and memorable seasons in St Mirren’s history – now SMISA members will be able to relive every highlight with the men who made it happen.

Our first exclusive #BuyTheBuds members event will be An Evening With The Millennium Champions, in the corporate hospitality suite at the Paisley 2021 Stadium on Friday 2 December, from 7pm.

Access to the evening will work as detailed when the #BuyTheBuds campaign launched in the summer, details of which are still on our sign-up webpage.

That means it will initially only be for our Plus (£25-per-month) and Premium members – but any unclaimed places will be made available to other members.

The night will be hosted by broadcaster and Saints fan Colin Kelly, and will see manager Tom Hendrie and members of the squad reminisce about the season, helped by video highlights of key games.

SMISA members will also be able to put their own questions to the team for what we are sure will be a really lively evening.

A pay bar will be available throughout the event but given the licensing restrictions, we are afraid it is available to over-18s only

All Plus members will have until Sunday 13 November to guarantee their free place and have been emailed with details of how to do so.

Those places are only available to those who had a Plus membership as of Thursday 27 October and should not be transferred

On Monday 14 November we will make any remaining tickets available to our other members at a cost of £10 each. All money raised will be donated to St Mirren’s youth development.

This makes sure everybody who is paying a higher membership fee has the option to attend the exclusive event due to them under the terms of their membership , while giving other members the chance to take any unclaimed seats.

We don’t plan to open up the sale to non-members, but reserve the right to do so should we still have spaces close to the time.

As always, if you have any questions, please send them to us at [email protected]. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible there on the night for what should be a great evening.

I thought at the time that Tom Hendrie would leave us on a major high, then be a Manager in the the English Premiership and become the new Sir Alex Ferguson.

Millennium Season - Hendrie was God

7 hours ago, shull said:

I thought at the time that Tom Hendrie would leave us on a major high, then be a Manager in the the English Premiership and become the new Sir Alex Ferguson.

Millennium Season - Hendrie was God

While the five-year deal was, with hindsight, daft, I bet there weren't many complaining at the time. He seemed like the hottest of hot property: I remember being delighted. Funny how things work out: stricken by the St Mirren manager career-ending curse, perhaps.

Amongst many great memories of that season, I remember being at the 8-0 game against Clydebank with my mate (then both Season Ticket holders). As the goals rained in there were strange and contradictory feelings of delighted amazement and also expectancy; it was unbelievable to be witnessing the Saints scoring so freely - but it had happened before that season so it was also kinda expected - weird.

Ah the memories....:D

Thank you St Mirren and Mr Hendrie...

Totally agree, a lot of us look at Fergies talented team as the best, and it was special, but Tom had has playing sensational football, yes remember the 8-0 game well, Clydebank had a new goalie that day and he made some great saves, also 5-0 Airdrie and tanking Ton. Tom practicing his freekicks pre match and as Rugby goes he did well.

Paisley Panda , dancing girls and a crowd expecting and getting entertainment..............

Ok................ so what happened !!!!!!

1 hour ago, southsidebud said:

Amongst many great memories of that season, I remember being at the 8-0 game against Clydebank with my mate (then both Season Ticket holders). As the goals rained in there were strange and contradictory feelings of delighted amazement and also expectancy; it was unbelievable to be witnessing the Saints scoring so freely - but it had happened before that season so it was also kinda expected - weird.

Ah the memories....:D

Thank you St Mirren and Mr Hendrie...

I remember that game, thinking we actually didn't play that well. Clydebank didn't have a keeper as I recall and drafted in some amateur I think, and we basically scored every time we went near their goal.

I should point out that that season was probably the most I and my mates ever drunk during any season, so some details are a bit sketchy...

Enduring memories of the Millenium Season were:

6-0 at Kirkcaldy, which was surreal, but looking back it was a sign of things to come.

2-1 win at Somerset Park, a fantastic ending which was enhanced by the old fashioned terracing they had. Celebrating a goal then trying to figure out where you'd ended up and how far away from your mates you were after being swept along by the crowd...

1-1 at Dunfermline in February, although I was ejected just before halftime as I went to the toilet and spent the second half sleeping on a wall outside the stadium before missing the bus home and inviting myself into the car of some unsuspecting Buddies to get me home...

5-0 defeat to Inverness, cheering every goal, knowing the players were as drunk as we were. Think this was also the game me and a mate tried to climb up the camera gantry, before being advised it wasn't for us.

3-0 win over Raith at Love Street, where the title was clinched, and the celebrations afterwards, including some guy running through the Last Post with only a scarf to cover his modesty...

Many, many more, but as I referred to in my previous post, I was very, very drunk... 

:guinness

It was one hell of a season that's for sure and from a squad of players who individually didn't manage to achieve much at all throughout the remainder of their careers. 

Roy, Turner, McLaughlin, Walker, Nicolson, Ross, Baltacha, Murray, Mendes, Yardley and Lavety - backed up by the likes of Paul Rudden, Tom Brown, Stevie McGarry, Paul McKnight, Joe McLaughlin. And added to with the addition of Gary Bowman, Ricky Gillies and Jens Paeslack. Not really any stars amongst them, just a side that gelled brilliantly as a team, which had belief in themselves, and who had a manager that ensured the players were properly prepared, even if the kit man wasn't (imagine having to wear a Morton strip during your best season). 

I sat just behind the dug out at Love Street that year and I got the added entertainment of watching Tom Hendrie and his antics during matches. A truly brilliant manager and one of those who didn't need a shirt and a tie for the players to know he was the boss. 

31 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

It was one hell of a season that's for sure and from a squad of players who individually didn't manage to achieve much at all throughout the remainder of their careers. 

Roy, Turner, McLaughlin, Walker, Nicolson, Ross, Baltacha, Murray, Mendes, Yardley and Lavety - backed up by the likes of Paul Rudden, Tom Brown, Stevie McGarry, Paul McKnight, Joe McLaughlin. And added to with the addition of Gary Bowman, Ricky Gillies and Jens Paeslack. Not really any stars amongst them, just a side that gelled brilliantly as a team, which had belief in themselves, and who had a manager that ensured the players were properly prepared, even if the kit man wasn't (imagine having to wear a Morton strip during your best season). 

I sat just behind the dug out at Love Street that year and I got the added entertainment of watching Tom Hendrie and his antics during matches. A truly brilliant manager and one of those who didn't need a shirt and a tie for the players to know he was the boss. 

I was convinced that Paul McKnight was going to take his second chance (after Rangers ditched him) and hit the big time through his performances with us.

His impact in the early days of his first spell (before injury) was outstanding. He looked a cut above for that glorious but far too short time. There were signs of a real top quality player in there.

What a shame. :(

51 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Does anyone else miss Love Street???? I still get really sad when I pass the old turnstiles , I even miss the main stand, Was a great view......

So if any of my fellow Saints win the Euro Lottery could u please buy back the site, and redevelop there.........

12 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Does anyone else miss Love Street???? I still get really sad when I pass the old turnstiles , I even miss the main stand, Was a great view......

So if any of my fellow Saints win the Euro Lottery could u please buy back the site, and redevelop there.........

That's exactly what I just said the other day. If I win Euromillions I'll rebuild the old place and take us back. Get a lump in my throat every time I drive by,,,

7 minutes ago, Soctty said:

That's exactly what I just said the other day. If I win Euromillions I'll rebuild the old place and take us back. Get a lump in my throat every time I drive by,,,

Ok I will hold you to that mate. Even if you win £6 you will need to find the other £9.994 m

Great sorted, just need a team worthy of the place and we are sorted :D

The memories are flooding back - we were the 'Quarter Invincibles' that season:

St Mirren results in the second quarter of the league season:

Played - 9 Won - 8  Drawn - 1

Eight league wins on the trot (!!!)  - with only a 1-1 draw with ICT at the end of it deny us a clean sweep of the second round of fixtures.

Happy Days!

I missed one game. I can't remember who the opposition was but I was covering the Dunfermline v Raith match for my business. Raith won 2-0 IIRC and put a massive dent in Dunfermlines title challenge.

For me the first match against Ayr United set the tone. I knew that day St Mirren would be serious challengers even though it finished a draw. St Mirren were devastating that day and tore Ayr a new one but the finishing just wasn't there. Lavety signed days later and the last link in the chain was in place.

Highlights for me:

11 Sep 99 (A) Dunfermline 1-1  This was when I realised we could be title contenders and would not be involved in a relegation battle

23 Oct 99 (A) Ayr Utd  3-0 I stayed with relatives in Ayr after this match, was in a shop buying beer and a young guy was in shop clearly looking annoyed that his parents had obviously sent him to buy cat  food, he was wearing an Ayr Utd top and looked even more upset when he saw red away top

6 Nov 99 (A) Morton 4-1 This was a few days after the Scumopoly story had made Reporting Scotland, an easy win over Morton 

11 Dec 99 (A) ICT 1-1 We would have won 9 matches in a row in Derek Scrimgour wasn’t in goals that afternoon as he was at fault at a free kick that led to ICT’s goal

26 Feb 00 (A) Raith Rovers 2-1 We all thought we had blown it when Raith scored with minutes to go, which would have meant being knocked off of top place, if only we could get a draw Yardley in slow motion scores, we would still be top on goal difference, then Junior sprints down and scores, to me this was the match that won us the league

11 Mar 00 (H) Clydebank 8-0 Simply magnificent

22 Apr 00 (A) Ayr 2-1 Brilliant day, superb injury time winner from Paul McKnight and fun pitch invasion

Edited by Second Decay

14 minutes ago, Slash said:

I hope someone asks TH a complex horticultural question given the amount of time he was on gardening leave.

Great times. That was the season many people from Saints online first met up in the Wee Barrel snug pre and post match. Happy days.

Even I went to the Wee Barrel to meet up a couple of times. Even bought some people pints. 

Can't imagine ever experiencing a better season than that one.

There was a perfect storm of ingredients that made it really special.

We were among the bookies favourites to be relegated that season, but we had finished the previous campaign fairly well and after beating Rangers in pre-season there was a wave of optimism going into the season.

Always rememebr we opened against Ayr at Love Street, and we absolutely battered them without getting the goals we deserved, and ended up having to settle for a point.

Then Basher came in on loan during the next week and we went to Raith and hit them for six and hardly looked back.

The internet was really just finding it's feet back then, and it brought all sorts of fans together that previously hadn't been in touch.

I mind big Harpo driving a squad of us up to Aberdeen for the Scottish Cup replay on a Tuesday night in a mini-bus, none of really knew each other before that trip, we had all just met online before that trip,  it was brilliant craic.

Late goals all over the place, a real genuine bond between the players and the supporters, and a real bond between the fans themselves, both off and online.

Hardly missed a game that season, it was a joy to watch that team every week.

It was amazing. I'd give anything to experience it all over again.

7 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Totally agree, a lot of us look at Fergies talented team as the best, and it was special, but Tom had has playing sensational football, yes remember the 8-0 game well, Clydebank had a new goalie that day and he made some great saves, also 5-0 Airdrie and tanking Ton. Tom practicing his freekicks pre match and as Rugby goes he did well.

Paisley Panda , dancing girls and a crowd expecting and getting entertainment..............

Ok................ so what happened !!!!!!

It was a great season indeed, but it still doesn't match Fergie's Furies winning the title.  And the demolition of Dundee United in the Cup by that group of players was the best I have ever seen Saints play in over 50 years of supporting them.

Phenomenal season and for my age, probably the best I have seen in my time. Those were some of the best memories for me away to Cappielow absolutely smashing them, the 6th November one referenced above. Who could forget that cuffing we gave the Bankies at home then to play them at Cappielow in Mortons illuminous away top and draw 0-0. My regrets that season were not going to Somerset and for being a steward at Love St and missing the last home game v Raith due to being sent outside to watch the Main Stand from the turnstiles.

18 hours ago, shull said:

News

2000Champions.jpg
27 October 2016

An evening with the Millennium Champions

General SMiSA News
 Buythebuds, Stmirren, Plus Event

It was one the most dramatic and memorable seasons in St Mirren’s history – now SMISA members will be able to relive every highlight with the men who made it happen.

Our first exclusive #BuyTheBuds members event will be An Evening With The Millennium Champions, in the corporate hospitality suite at the Paisley 2021 Stadium on Friday 2 December, from 7pm.

Access to the evening will work as detailed when the #BuyTheBuds campaign launched in the summer, details of which are still on our sign-up webpage.

That means it will initially only be for our Plus (£25-per-month) and Premium members – but any unclaimed places will be made available to other members.

The night will be hosted by broadcaster and Saints fan Colin Kelly, and will see manager Tom Hendrie and members of the squad reminisce about the season, helped by video highlights of key games.

SMISA members will also be able to put their own questions to the team for what we are sure will be a really lively evening.

A pay bar will be available throughout the event but given the licensing restrictions, we are afraid it is available to over-18s only

All Plus members will have until Sunday 13 November to guarantee their free place and have been emailed with details of how to do so.

Those places are only available to those who had a Plus membership as of Thursday 27 October and should not be transferred

On Monday 14 November we will make any remaining tickets available to our other members at a cost of £10 each. All money raised will be donated to St Mirren’s youth development.

This makes sure everybody who is paying a higher membership fee has the option to attend the exclusive event due to them under the terms of their membership , while giving other members the chance to take any unclaimed seats.

We don’t plan to open up the sale to non-members, but reserve the right to do so should we still have spaces close to the time.

As always, if you have any questions, please send them to us at [email protected]. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible there on the night for what should be a great evening.

That picture is the 2000-2001 squad!!

11 minutes ago, rebella15 said:

That picture is the 2000-2001 squad!!

I don't think it is. I know the trophy is in the picture which would suggest it was for the year after and the image isn't that great in terms of quality, but I can make out Junior Mendes in that squad and I can't see Jose Quitongo, Mikael Renfurm or Moussa Dagnogo. And the league winning squad wore the Cetco kit, the following season they wore an LDV one.