The battle to avoid relegation

2 minutes ago, elvis said:

Dunfermline will beat Raith then draw with Ayr so IF we win we will be 5 doints behind ayr and 7 behind the Dung.

Or they could lose both. They are rubbish, we should have beat them in November. If they do we're only 3 points behind them.

2 hours ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

We seem unable to pull out the rabbit results like Dumbarton beating Dundee Utd. Coupon buster that one and bad for our prospects.

Exactly

This team is getting results we can only dream of

A team who were knocked out the Scottish Cup by a junior team

A junior team who outplayed them the 2 games they played

Exactly

This team is getting results we can only dream of

A team who were knocked out the Scottish Cup by a junior team

A junior team who outplayed them the 2 games they played

A team who are part time and train a couple of nights a week after work then play on a Saturday.

The difference is that, unlike us, they have a fantastic manager who is maximising what little resources they have.

8 minutes ago, TopCat said:

A team who are part time and train a couple of nights a week after work then play on a Saturday.

The difference is that, unlike us, they have a fantastic manager who is maximising what little resources they have.

Fantastic manager who saw his team dumped out the cup by a junior mob.  I'm sure if Aitken was our manager you wouldn't be long on getting on his case.

Edited by scottd

11 hours ago, TopCat said:

Your hilarious mate Jack Ross has taken over your life. 

15 hours ago, Drew said:

We can't afford to write the season off just yet. Things have improved (slightly). Certainly, the football is better to watch, and we are competing.

I can understand why folk are talking as though we are down already, and I can't pretend that I'm brimming with confidence that we can survive, but we really need to believe that there is hope until its impossible.

I've been impressed by the level of support that the management team and players have enjoyed during games of late. The goodwill is there, and we need to ensure that heads don't go down on the pitch, in the dug out, or in the stands.

Its not looking good, but is far from unachievable.

Platitudes, perhaps, but we need to cling onto any positives we can. The baw isn't burst yet!

Agree with all of that. In our next five games, we play the four teams immediately above us. Queens have got 5 points and no wins in their last 13 games; Ayr have 5 points from 9 games, again with no wins. These teams can be caught. Yesterday was a sore one, but Ross's analysis was spot on and I think he'll sort what's wrong, which is the mental strength of the team.

I don't go to many away games but I'll be at the ones against Dunfermline, Dumbarton and Ayr. Our team needs us.

Surprisingly mild New Year hangover - so in a slightly better mood than immediately post match yesterday.

OK - we are in a bit of a pickle and I can see both sides - we are not making up ground and we have less games to do it - so I can see relegation staring us in the face. However, we are playing better and we can still catch at least one team above us (strangely looking more and more like Ayr). Its a bit like Schrodinger's cat at the moment so either side could be right - and we won't know until we get to open the drawer. 

It all hinges on what can be done in the transfer market (if anything). Yesterday the same two key weaknesses were exposed again: No midfield ball winner once Quinn went off and a misfiring centre-half partnership virtually incapable of getting us to a clean sheet.

I guess we need to ditch any loanees that we can to free up funds (still say that Walsh did us a half decent turn but we need the wage money for other areas). It would be great if we could punt Clarkson but if not he should be left in the reserves - for me he is the greatest disappointment - supposedly the most experienced player in the team but virtually invisible in any game he plays. 

So commanding centre half to work with MacKenzie (or Baird) and someone to get a grip on midfield allowing Quinn to be backup. Don't know if we can get players that fit these vague descriptions - but I believe that this is what we need.     

Just now, southsidebud said:

Surprisingly mild New Year hangover - so in a slightly better mood than immediately post match yesterday.

OK - we are in a bit of a pickle and I can see both sides - we are not making up ground and we have less games to do it - so I can see relegation staring us in the face. However, we are playing better and we can still catch at least one team above us (strangely looking more and more like Ayr). Its a bit like Schrodinger's cat at the moment so either side could be right - and we won't know until we get to open the drawer. 

It all hinges on what can be done in the transfer market (if anything). Yesterday the same two key weaknesses were exposed again: No midfield ball winner once Quinn went off and a misfiring centre-half partnership virtually incapable of getting us to a clean sheet.

I guess we need to ditch any loanees that we can to free up funds (still say that Walsh did us a half decent turn but we need the wage money for other areas). It would be great if we could punt Clarkson but if not he should be left in the reserves - for me he is the greatest disappointment - supposedly the most experienced player in the team but virtually invisible in any game he plays. 

So commanding centre half to work with MacKenzie (or Baird) and someone to get a grip on midfield allowing Quinn to be backup. Don't know if we can get players that fit these vague descriptions - but I believe that this is what we need.     

Well Craig Storie from Aberdeen is the hard tackling midfielder so that's one position filled. Allegedly trying to get 3 other players in. One is probably a left back and I hope a striker.

Personally I am glad to see the back of Walsh. Flatters to deceive in my opinion and has no heart. Could certainly make far better use of the wages. McAllister who is 3 years younger has skill, energy and attitude that Walsh can only dream about.

11 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Well Craig Storie from Aberdeen is the hard tackling midfielder so that's one position filled. Allegedly trying to get 3 other players in. One is probably a left back and I hope a striker.

Personally I am glad to see the back of Walsh. Flatters to deceive in my opinion and has no heart. Could certainly make far better use of the wages. McAllister who is 3 years younger has skill, energy and attitude that Walsh can only dream about.

Didn't know we had actually confirmed Storie - yep great news there. Hopefully the last of the other three will be a centre half.

Not going to disagree about the impact of McAllister - nor would I play Walsh before him - my point was more to do with how he did in comparison to the other loanees. I thought he was a good impact sub and did make a positive difference in a number of games. He's history now though and I hope the wage money can make a difference in the quality of the incoming players.

If we get four key players in - and they work out - then it could still be happy(ish) days.

Edited by southsidebud

33 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

I agree with you on Walsh, I'm unsure what he's done wrong to be dropped from the squad entirely. I suspect there's more to that than meets the eye. McLear may well turn out to be one for the future, but since he signed his 3 year contract back in 2015, I have yet to see one positive contribution from him. In my opinion we look decidedly weaker every time he appears. Whereas Walsh has scored 3 goals including a vital and stunning equaliser against Falkirk. Obviously I'm missing something that a mere supporter wouldn't understand.

As for the centre halfs, I don't see us getting any better than what we already have. I thought Webster and McKenzie were dominant yesterday under intense pressure after we capitulated the midfield battle with the nonsense substitutions. As you say, a defensive midfielder will help there and hopefully Storie will make a difference defensively. Especially if he can manage to play more than 60 mins!! 

2 hours ago, southsidebud said:

Listening to Jack Ross latest post match interview seems quite clear under performers will be left behind. Jack knows what he needs to give the squad more balance. Still strongly believe we will get out of the relegation position there is a decent team in there with the right additions.