The battle to avoid relegation

29 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Of course my projection is based on our recent form - that's the whole point! emoji6.png

If Ayr finish on 36 we finish above them on our recent form.

Suppose I could be totally negative instead, but isn't there enough negativity on the forum?

Win tomorrow and things look brighter.

I reckon some on here would be happy to see us relegated . 

16 hours ago, Seaside Nipper said:

That Newton finish, every time I watch it I swear it is going outside the post ! Then the net bulges, brilliant.

You prompted me to have a wee watch of the goals again there.

The bit that makes me choke (IRL fighting a tear back) is one of the replays of Thommo's goal, the view pointing towards the Saints fans. After he tucks it away, there's just a tiny moment before he realises what he's done, then his hands come to his face and the celebrations unfold. 

In that brief pause you can see the fact he's St Mirren through and through, and it wrecks me every time.

15 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

The biggest worry for me in this period is (point of view excepted) we go into tomorrows and perhaps other games with a weaker, smaller squad. QOS will have three fresh, fit faces lining up to prove themselves come three o clock. We will have fewer options and the same squad that cant beat ten men.

According to Falkirk fans , Rankin dosn't fall into either the fresh or fit category . 

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

Of course my projection is based on our recent form - that's the whole point! emoji6.png

If Ayr finish on 36 we finish above them on our recent form.

Suppose I could be totally negative instead, but isn't there enough negativity on the forum?

Win tomorrow and things look brighter.

Only problem is we wont win .

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

The biggest worry for me in this period is (point of view excepted) we go into tomorrows and perhaps other games with a weaker, smaller squad. QOS will have three fresh, fit faces lining up to prove themselves come three o clock. We will have fewer options and the same squad that cant beat ten men.

So you would be happy if we signd Rankin ? 

17 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

So you would be happy if we signd Rankin ? 

I would've been happier with Rankin than Storie, an experienced defensive midfielder which is what we've all been asking for since the first Raith game back in August when it was becoming apparent that Quinn was not going to be making a quick return.

I accept munoz forwarding online comments from Falkirk fans that he isn't fit but then not everything posted on forums by footy fans is 100% accurate.

Could we have signed him ahead of Queens - who knows? League positions would be against us although at this stage in Rankin's career that might not be everything. Geographical location and training facilities should have favoured us.

Ah well, only time will tell.................

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

I would've been happier with Rankin than Storie, an experienced defensive midfielder which is what we've all been asking for since the first Raith game back in August when it was becoming apparent that Quinn was not going to be making a quick return.

I accept munoz forwarding online comments from Falkirk fans that he isn't fit but then not everything posted on forums by footy fans is 100% accurate.

Could we have signed him ahead of Queens - who knows? League positions would be against us although at this stage in Rankin's career that might not be everything. Geographical location and training facilities should have favoured us.

Our team needs energy in midfield not another experienced duffer that's way past his best. There's a reason Falkirk ditched him after only half a season.

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

What is accurate, though, is that Falkirk released him. As such, it isn't all about fitba forum tittle tattle. Clearly, Houston didn't reckon Rankin was up to the task at hand.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

What is accurate, though, is that Falkirk released him. As such, it isn't all about fitba forum tittle tattle. Clearly, Houston didn't reckon Rankin was up to the task at hand.

As I said to kendo that's the market we're in. I may be wrong but I'd have chosen Rankin ahead of Storie and you can't deny that he (Rankin) is available for tomorrows must win fixture against Queens.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

As I said to kendo that's the market we're in. I may be wrong but I'd have chosen him ahead of Storie and you can't deny that he is available for tomorrows must win fizture against Queens.

Would you sign a player based on availability for one game?

Aside from anything else, would he be anything resembling match fit?

Storie hasn't been released by his club, so he isn't a cast off. I'm not suggesting he'll be the answer, right enough, but I don't know that Rankin would be either. I suspect he is now coasting towards the end of his playing career.

To avoid relegation we just need to be able to hold on to a lead. let's think about what sub's we  bring on when we are winning as there were many opportunities to score more goals on Saturday they just fell to the wrong person.also from the 80th minute onwards we sat to deep and we cant do that we need to keep attacking thats the only way we keep possession. Do that and we stay up.

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

Would you sign a player based on availability for one game?

Aside from anything else, would he be anything resembling match fit?

Storie hasn't been released by his club, so he isn't a cast off. I'm not suggesting he'll be the answer, right enough, but I don't know that Rankin would be either. I suspect he is now coasting towards the end of his playing career.

Rankin has 10 starts and 7 sub appearances for Falkirk this season. As I mentioned earlier in the thread Storie has two sub appearances (one in August, one in September) totalling 9 minutes plus injury time. Of the two I'd rather have signed Rankin and I think he's more likely to become match fit and integrated into a new team quicker than Storie.

As for Storie not being a cast-off, he is surplus to Aberdeen's current requirements but if you can suggest a better description I'm open to changing my definition.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

As for Storie not being a cast-off, he is he is surplus to Aberdeen's current requirements but if you can suggest a better description I'm open to changing my definition.

If he is a cast off, why not release him, as Falkirk have done with Rankin?

Aberdeen are competing for 2nd spot in the top league. They have a far higher standard of player than Falkirk, yet have still opted to keep this lad on their books meantime.

Anyway, this is all whatiffery, and going round in circles. We'll have a better idea as to whether the correct call has been made in a few weeks time.

Still think we can get ourselves out of this hole but if we are to do it then games like tomorrow are absolute must wins.

We've only lost 1 in the last 5 matches, which was away to Dundee Utd where we actually played well, but instead of sitting with 4 wins from those 5 we could only convert 2 and threw away 4 valuable points at home to Ayr & Morton.

Ayr & QoS look the most likely sides for us to catch, and if we're going to do it we need to get all three points tomorrow IMO.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Aberdeen are competing for 2nd spot in the top league. They have a far higher standard of player than Falkirk, yet have still opted to keep this lad on their books meantime.

Anyway, this is all whatiffery, and going round in circles. We'll have a better idea as to whether the correct call has been made in a few weeks time.

Yes we'll soon find out who the correct option was. However I'd have the younger more energetic player in my team before the old chap. 

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

Ok, I'll concede cast-off, but we're still left with a player (mysteriously unavailable for tomorrow) who's surplus to current requirements at Aberdeen, has barely played this season and seems to have one foot planted firmly down the "wasted talent" route - at this stage I'd much prefer Rankin. But like you say it's all whatiffery.

I'm still disappointed that we're unlikely to have a new player available for tomorrows match especially given the hints dropped at the AGM that the management team were on the case. In fact as stated we're two down (albeit Hardie & Walsh had already been discarded by Ross). I stand by my opinion that other teams have been more effective in bringing in the players they wanted than us.

Two can play the unnecessarily detrimental game!

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Ok, I'll concede cast-off, but we're still left with a player (mysteriously unavailable for tomorrow) who's surplus to current requirements at Aberdeen, has barely played this season and seems to have one foot planted firmly down the "wasted talent" route - at this stage I'd much prefer Rankin. But like you say it's all whatiffery.

I'm still disappointed that we're unlikely to have a new player available for tomorrows match especially given the hints dropped at the AGM that the management team were on the case. In fact as stated we're two down (albeit Hardie & Walsh had already been discarded by Ross). I stand by my opinion that other teams have been more effective in bringing in the players they wanted than us.

Two can play the unnecessarily detrimental game!

Aye, it is a bit disappointing that we have no new faces for tomorrow, but I don't know if we could realistically have expected anyone to come in and make an Isma style impact. We are dealing at the lower end of the market, no doubt about that.

I will reserve judgement on Storie. My Dons supporting colleague seems to think he could do a job for us, so lets hope so.

Walsh seemed to have been well out the picture, and I'm glad to see the back of Hardie - he contributed very little.

Whoever we do (or don't) bring in this window, I don't expect a dramatic change in our trajectory as a result. Our predicament is such that it will take more than a couple of loanees to turn things around. I think we need to hope that others start to experience a drop in form, as much as anything else....