The battle to avoid relegation

One thing was clear to me from Saturday. Ross needs to work on and off the ball shape for the entire team. It simply doesn't exist, and should have been the main thing for him to implement on the training ground. You can't teach ability, but you should be able to tell players the rough area of the pitch they should be in throughout different phases of play.

The team didn't really have a coherent plan at any point throughout the game against Morton, passing through the back resulted in forcing our central defenders to be the passing force, with the ball ending up in crowded areas only for us to lose possession. The long ball looked threatening, the few times our midfield players realised they had to win the second or third ball to support Sutton.

Off the ball Morton bullied us for most the game, with us having no real pressing plan, or plan for dealing with Morton set plays.

A lot of work to be done, if we are actually going to be playing the only good football, which is winning games.

The team is drinking in the last chance saloon here.  Another big result for Ayr or any of the others combined with a loss for us and it be hard to see anyway out. We may be improved but we have given ourselves an awful lot to do. We sit seven off Ayr and now nine behind the others. At odds of 1/4 on we look certain to go down as we play well yet crucially we do not win. What has happened at this club has been an absolute scandal 

9 hours ago, norrie82 said:

The team is drinking in the last chance saloon here.  Another big result for Ayr or any of the others combined with a loss for us and it be hard to see anyway out. We may be improved but we have given ourselves an awful lot to do. We sit seven off Ayr and now nine behind the others. At odds of 1/4 on we look certain to go down as we play well yet crucially we do not win. What has happened at this club has been an absolute scandal 

Yep and Ross is having to try and fix it, 4 managers in a row who managed to make us even worse.

Win games and we can stay up. Win on Saturday and things will look brighter, and then we can look to the next game.

We've taken 8 points from our last 5 games. That kind of form can keep us up. It would see us finish the season with 39 points, which has been enough for safety in 5 of the last 6 seasons, and a play off spot in the other one.

Last 5 games have included games against those currently in 2nd, 3rd and 5th place, as well as two strugglers who we beat.

18 hours ago, BIG BEN said:

Don't worry Elvis. The world will implode at the end of March and we will all die so no need to get worked up

Valid point.....

Putin and Trump will fall out over a misunderstood tweet, nuclear war will ensue, Faslane taking a direct hit..... On the plus side Cappielow will look better

Sounding unlikely that we'll see any new faces in the squad for the crunch match on Saturday.

A bit disappointing, really. I wasn't a huge Brian Caldwell fanboy, but I do wonder if we miss his input in terms of settling deals?

ETA: our precarious position at the foot of the second tier will hardly help in terms of bringing players in.

Edited by Drew
Update

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Sounding unlikely that we'll see any new faces on the squad for the crunch match on Saturday.

A bit disappointing, really. I wasn't a huge Brian Caldwell fanboy, but I do wonder if we miss his input in terms of selling deals?

Yup, both Raith & Dunfermline managed to field new players on the 2nd and Queens have a couple of young players available for Saturday.

I blame Gus & Cheesy and probably a few others..........

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Sounding unlikely that we'll see any new faces on the squad for the crunch match on Saturday.

A bit disappointing, really. I wasn't a huge Brian Caldwell fanboy, but I do wonder if we miss his input in terms of settling deals?

Get what you are writing Drew outwith loans who would want to sign for a team anchored at the foot of the table half way through a season. Its a hard  sell. 

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

A bit disappointing, really. I wasn't a huge Brian Caldwell fanboy, but I do wonder if we miss his input in terms of selling deals?

A club in our position should of had players lined up and already In place.

We miss Caldwell, having an inexperienced CEO in Fitzpatrick at this crucial time is going to cost us big time.

6 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

We miss Caldwell, having an inexperienced CEO in Fitzpatrick at this crucial time is going to cost us big time.

Aye, Tony is a good club mascot/cheerleader, but we need a hard-nosed administrator at the club to compliment his fluffy Mr St Mirren persona.

3 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Can i just point out , Shrewsbury have managed to sign ONE player so far in the Jan transfer window , Exactly the same as we have. (Albeit , theirs was a permanent move) 

Since Brian C joined them they just escaped relegation last year and currently sit second bottom this year. This may show that this is that teams natural level or BC needs to be given time to turn things around, just as our current board need time.

Also, while i`m sure BC might want to take plaudits for his part in bringing Thommo etc to the club, he must also share the blame for the NUMEROUS duds we signed while he was CEO.

Would he be able to entice a better class of player to the club given our present position ? I seriously doubt it !