Latest Scores

FTOF

8 minutes ago, Rascal said:

For my money over both games the PSV keeper has cost them dearly with his mistakes. That and their forwards having their boots on the wrong feet or whatever tonight 

Well fought , Rangers.

A tail of two goalies. Maybe Scotland have a decent keeper to take over from Craig Gordon. Some Champ League experience can only help him.

Edited by ianmac

2 minutes ago, guinness said:

The Rangers through. Hate them but I believe we get another £200,000 consolidation on top of the £400,000 Celtic earned us. Should help keep the wolf from the door.

Can’t be bad. Will we earn more of Hearts go through?

3 minutes ago, guinness said:

The Rangers through. Hate them but I believe we get another £200,000 consolidation on top of the £400,000 Celtic earned us. Should help keep the wolf from the door.

That will cover the cost of keeping half of both of them out of our stadium next year.

Very thoughtful of them.......

Edited by ianmac

54 minutes ago, antrin said:

Ta, ianmac.

other than your perceptive comment , I can see no other positive aspect to this two teams of bigots and their fans, going out to publicise their “Scotland” in Europe.

fuxake.  :(

It’s the ever increasing financial gulf it creates between these two arse cheeks and the rest of Scottish football. 

Not only that but it means even greater (if that’s actually possible) sports columns and sport radio shows promoting the evil brand of sectarianism. 

On top of that they are able to ride the commercial wave of all the marketing of these two clubs basically starving the life out of every other club. There will be all manner of kickbacks from their sponsorship agreements which means even more revenue. 

We will probably never ever see clubs like Dundee United and Aberdeen getting to major European semi finals and finals. United should have played Liverpool in Rome in 1984 but for a corrupt referee who was found to have been bribed by Roma.

Down south we saw teams like Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa win the European Cup. If their billionaire  owners continue throwing hundreds of millions at domestic league success then the odds are stacked against them due to the powerful reach of the top 3 or 4 clubs across the globe. 

For three years leading up to 2021 Aston Villa were the highest net spenders on transfer fees in Europe.

For me it has started to become meaningless at the really top level. 

I look back at our Scottish clubs success in Europe across the 60s, 70s and 80s and I could reel off the players who starred in those finals and the games leading up.

Same goes for all the Liverpool teams of 60s, 70s and 80s,Busby Babes and Fergies United teams. Same goes for European finals involving Everton, Leeds, Villa, Forest, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Take Arsenal now compared to the era of the “Invincible’s”. I’d hardly cross the road to see Arsenal today compared to what I witnessed before.

I just don’t think the players in the majority of the English top league are as good as they were in the past.

The game is so flooded with cash that it seems to be stunting the ambition and dedication of the current players. 

Just look at the money Man Utd have spunked on so called superstars like Pogba, Maguire and Fred. Looking at nearly £250,000,000 outlay in transfer fees on those three alone never mind their wages. None of those players would have got in the United treble winning team of 1999.

The whole European Champions League is all about keeping the money for the richest clubs with the biggest global fan base. 

The league format allows for those with deeper pockets and vastly superior quality in depth across a large squad that the lesser teams have minimal chance of success. 

Gary Birtles, who joined Forest from non-league Long Eaton United in 1976, was earning £200 a week, or £10,400 a year when he walked out in Madrid. 

Ron Saunders called upon only 14 players during the 1980-81 championship-winning campaign before Villa won the European Cup the next season.

Our squad against Dundee Utd last week had 20 players. 

How many of those players would have got into the Saints squads of the 70s and 80s that regularly competed for top honours and qualified for Europe?

2 hours ago, guinness said:

I justed started a topic on this very subject. Any sources for this? It's a lot of money and, given our average wage, I think amounts to about ten players' wages.

hearts up soon, surely they can't be as poor as they were for the majority of last weeks game?

As a spectacle it was poor, I'd expected much more.

Might have it on the laptop again, but not that bothered if I see it or not but I'd love them to get through, although my TV time might go through the roof if they do.