Mobile Phones

faraway saint

26 minutes ago, HSS said:

I'm not being flippant.I'm suggesting the bad habits I mentioned are every bit as bad as using a phone.You seem to agree but you give me a hard time for suggesting them.

Fair enough. It certainly didn't read that way.

It read that you were adopting a "where will it all stop" approach but if that wasn't what you intended then fair enough.

Guest TPAFKATS
If you can't be arsed using your indicators to signal you are moving out of lane or trying to push your way into a lane, should also be seen as a penalty.

Not using your indicators can be an offence

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

If you can't be arsed using your indicators to signal you are moving out of lane or trying to push your way into a lane, should also be seen as a penalty.

And it doesn't stop there either. Jumping traffic lights, speeding up at a zebra crossing when they can see pedestrians approaching it.

We have a cuktural problem here where we see driving as a human right rather than a privilege.

I can't imagine how any sitting Prime Minister or First Minister can be in charge for years and do absolutely nothing about this.

Thousands killed every year. Tens of thousands seriously injured ever year. And it is still almost impossible to lose your licence even when caught.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not mixed up bud. If you know my history on here you will realise that I lost a close family member because of someone driving like an entitled c**t so forgive me for taking a hard line with flippant comments like yours.

We need to get drivers off the road who can't keep to speed limits, engage in tailgaiting and who use phones.

After that we'll get to those who would rather run the risk of killing someone rather than take 60 seconds to park up and change their CD.

I am in no ways defending the use of mobile phones when driving. What i suspect HSS was getting at was that there are many other avenues of poor driving habits that are getting ignored while the authorities concentrate on the one item which is mobile phones. 

It is indicated that circa 50-75 deaths per year are related to people using their phones. Where as 250 deaths per year are related to drink offences. What is the scariest stat is that over 1500 people are killed every year while parked on the hard shoulder.

Using the above stats i would suggest that rather than find your CD turn your radio on instead.  

5 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Luddite

Um no, I don't think so man.

These Luddite dudes they were into protecting their way of life man, putting bread into the mouths of their starving children and all. I respect that and can totally sympathise with them wanting to do things the crafty way but you really can't halt the march of progress altho' I suppose it'll all come crashing down in the end when the darkening comes.

They were in the flow man whereas like Jethro Tull throatman and flautist Iain Anderson said "I'm on the outside looking in" - when I can get the hair out of my eyes.

I'm just gonna sit here chilling out to some cool tunes and watch my Yellow Submarine lava lamp, man.

Far out...................

56 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Skewer me with your logic, why don't you..............:lol:

Eric missed the logic in your original post:

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Not a problem for me - I don't own one!

I understood that to mean that you have several - and used them ALL, simultaneously, whilst driving.

You techno-freak first-adopter, you...

The use of mobile phones in Saudi Arabia was unbelievable.

I would guess over 90% of car drivers were using them on a regular basis.

In the training institute I worked in there was 3 students died in 7 months, all directly related to using mobile phones.

Regular safety meetings had little/no effect.

It boiled down to no deterrent, no intervention from the police and scant regard for the results of this practice.

I still feel the new changes don't go far enough.

How far that should be is difficult to say but gradual increases in punishment will be needed to have any real effect IMO.

It will need to be seen as serious as drink driving which has become unacceptable by the vast majority of society.

Guest TPAFKATS
The use of mobile phones in Saudi Arabia was unbelievable.
I would guess over 90% of car drivers were using them on a regular basis.
In the training institute I worked in there was 3 students died in 7 months, all directly related to using mobile phones.
Regular safety meetings had little/no effect.
It boiled down to no deterrent, no intervention from the police and scant regard for the results of this practice.
I still feel the new changes don't go far enough.
How far that should be is difficult to say but gradual increases in punishment will be needed to have any real effect IMO.
It will need to be seen as serious as drink driving which has become unacceptable by the vast majority of society.

I assume all 3 students who died were male
On a brighter note for the Saudis, their drink drive rate must compare favourably with ours?

Most people I see with phones while driving are male van drivers and young woman. The women when sitting at lights, always appear to be on their phone due to their head nodding up and down while looking at their lap then the lights, then their lap then the lights etc etc

24 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Most people I see with phones while driving are male van drivers and young woman. The women when sitting at lights, always appear to be on their phone due to their head nodding up and down while looking at their lap then the lights, then their lap then the lights etc etc

It's quite obvious,as Old Man Renfrew says,when someone sitting at lights is looking at their phone.Head down,head up,head down etc.I like to give them a friendly toot of the horn when their head is down and then watch the panic as they rush to move off.....then realise the lights are still at red :lol:

PS.This is only recommended when the other driver is at the front of the queue.

Guest TPAFKATS

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment - what's the difference between sitting at traffic lights using ur phone and sitting at traffic lights using the touchscreen display on the car dashboard?

16 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment - what's the difference between sitting at traffic lights using ur phone and sitting at traffic lights using the touchscreen display on the car dashboard?

Absolutely no difference.

20 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

In the eyes of the law..................well, we know that one.

Sitting at traffic lights is less likely to result in an accident or certainly serious injury/death. (minor bump more likely)

if you were driving, on the other hand it depends, IMO, what you are doing on your phone.

There is a difference between touching a display and using your phone for texting or looking at various social media pages where you are more likely to be distracted for a longer period.

It's irrelevant whether anybody agrees or disagrees, it's the law and if you don't like it, tough titty.

57 minutes ago, HSS said:

It's quite obvious,as Old Man Renfrew says,when someone sitting at lights is looking at their phone.Head down,head up,head down etc.I like to give them a friendly toot of the horn when their head is down and then watch the panic as they rush to move off.....then realise the lights are still at red :lol:

PS.This is only recommended when the other driver is at the front of the queue.

Old man, cheeky git  :lol:  BTW, a women head going up and down in a car might not mean she is on the phone :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Old man, cheeky git  :lol:  BTW, a women head going up and down in a car might not mean she is on the phone :rolleyes:

No......it may mean she can't pay her fare. :rolleyes:

Ban radios and CDs, ban Sat Nav... aye, very good. Could just imagine how many accidents would be caused by long distance driving and falling asleep without any music or radio commentary etc to keep you alert.

I assume the suggestion is not to actually ban CD players, radios and Sat Nav, but to educate people in not fannying around adjusting them while actually driving? That seems fair. Modern cars take MP3 compatible CDs and/or have memory stick slots. You can get about 120 MP3 tracks onto a CD, and I've got about 5,000 tracks on a memory stick permanently shoved in the slot. My bass, treble, middle and radio stations are locked in. No need to fanny about other than changing the radio station if Chick Young comes on.

If using my Sat Nav, I key the intended destination in while sitting on my drive. What should we ban next? Looking in the rear view mirror as it takes your eyes off the road ahead? Blowing a snottery nose? Scratching your nuts?