Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
DougJamie

Ton 's Debt

Recommended Posts

We have recently heard of Utd's financial plight and the fact they are over £1m in debt with worse to come, but I was surprised to see Ton's accounts showing that they in fact are £1.9m in debt, with Rae covering the rising interest payments each season.

I just wonder how long we will have our neighbours.

Crowds at Capplielow have plummeted this year, down 15% year on year, since 2005. The ground, as we all know, needs so much work its almost financially unfeasible to repair. The ground's location is hardly prime , be a car lot for Arnold Clark at best. And when the old boy finally goes, its the Easton's waiting in the wings- Oh joy.............

 

I know a big thing was made of the Tic Cup tie as only 18k trapped meaning a relatively small cheque for a plum draw

So lets spare a wee thought for Morton, they will miss us, in more ways than games................. their future is far from certain. As much as I cannae stand the bstards I would hate to see them go under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would hate to see any club go under. But it's about time all Scottish clubs lived with in their means. Clubs like Hamilton. St.Johnstone and Ross County have chairmen signing cheques for their losses at the of the season. Now Roy McGregor at County is not prepared to do it anymore. Said in a interview recently the club will have to stand on its own. Hence the reason it's bottom of the league and Coyle walked out. Mid week match between Acvies and County recently had a crowd of 768. Hardly enough to pay the stewards. Time for Scottish football to wake up.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

County have been taking the piss for a few years now. I'm sure it was fun while it lasted but they belong in the Championship. 

As for the Ton, I think most of their fans are decent folk and I'll feel bad for them.

Makes you realise how lucky we got with the Tesco deal. Timing was probably perfect, tbh. 

Yes I sometimes criticise our Old BOD but I never forget the deal of the century and our lovely new home. Our fortress.....

I hear others on County but without Rae's money Ton simply would not exist. They have a super manager in Duffy, and I must admit I struggle to why County or Dundee don't go for is experience...........

Next seasons championship will be another tight affair, with Brechin gone there wont be any bankers for down or Up.......

It took us 5 years to get back in 2006, it took us 9 years in 2000 , this time only 3 years............. i hope we know we will need to do a lot to push on this time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Next seasons championship will be another tight affair, with Brechin gone there wont be any bankers for down or Up.......

It took us 5 years to get back in 2006, it took us 9 years in 2000 , this time only 3 years............. i hope we know we will need to do a lot to push on this time 

Both very good shouts. The champ next year will be crazy tight. You can imagine Raith and Ayr coming up and being stronger than Dumbarton and Brechin were this season. Four trips to the Highlands will be a slight drain on resources and will give every other team four long/difficult away trips. Falkirk won't be as bad next year, and ICT will be stronger. I can't imagine anyone going up through the playoffs, and I think the Arabs must, surely, be stronger again next year, budget allowing. Dunfermline tailing off this year has been a bit mysterious - they too have a decent budget.

As for the Prem - it too will arguably be tougher next year. You have to hope Hamilton, Dundee and Thistle will struggle again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Both very good shouts. The champ next year will be crazy tight. You can imagine Raith and Ayr coming up and being stronger than Dumbarton and Brechin were this season. Four trips to the Highlands will be a slight drain on resources and will give every other team four long/difficult away trips. Falkirk won't be as bad next year, and ICT will be stronger. I can't imagine anyone going up through the playoffs, and I think the Arabs must, surely, be stronger again next year, budget allowing. Dunfermline tailing off this year has been a bit mysterious - they too have a decent budget.

As for the Prem - it too will arguably be tougher next year. You have to hope Hamilton, Dundee and Thistle will struggle again.

 

 

I agree with everything said so far, I am just getting in before the usual pests ruin what has thus far been a damned good thread.

 

As for the highlighted bit I don't see the relevance to us.  You see I have chosen to accept the prophecy of a certain Mr Fitzpatrick and as such I fully expect that we will not only be comfortable in the top six but those pesky bigots from Glasgow will struggle to keep ahead of us (for the time being, Champions league doth beckon).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the feeling the Arabs may well progress, yes they have a lot of matches, but they have also got Anthony Ralston on emergency loan. A player that they needed as they haven't got a LB. Also Fyvie may return and they have really missed him. I can also see them 2nd. Livi have done great but last two games they have been lucky to take 2 points.....  Can see them 3rd and Ton 4th.

As for down- Well its 2 from 3. Thistle Dundee and County as you say. Accies with their 1000 supporters , plastic pitch and the fact they lost 900k in that internet fraud will dodge the bullet again.

If I was betting man i would say Dundee 11th, County 12th . If it is Dundee v Dundee Utd that will be interesting. Both clubs struggling on and off the pitch and pretty much do or die.

I am hoping that we actually progress, that will take talent and a bit of money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I get the feeling the Arabs may well progress, yes they have a lot of matches, but they have also got Anthony Ralston on emergency loan. A player that they needed as they haven't got a LB. Also Fyvie may return and they have really missed him. I can also see them 2nd. Livi have done great but last two games they have been lucky to take 2 points.....  Can see them 3rd and Ton 4th.

As for down- Well its 2 from 3. Thistle Dundee and County as you say. Accies with their 1000 supporters , plastic pitch and the fact they lost 900k in that internet fraud will dodge the bullet again.

 If it is Dundee v Dundee Utd that will be interesting. Both clubs struggling on and off the pitch and pretty much do or die.

 

Their future should be in ground sharing, but to stubborn to realise it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

How Morton can sustain 1.9 million debt is hard to understand harder to understand is where that money spent ? 

I suppose just being full time must cost a lot, especially if they're not bringing much in , in the way of transfer fees. Add to that their dwindling crowds I suppose that debt could quickly accumulate (if you let it). 

A Ton supporting work colleague seems to think the Easdale's will be taking over sooner rather than later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We have recently heard of Utd's financial plight and the fact they are over £1m in debt with worse to come, but I was surprised to see Ton's accounts showing that they in fact are £1.9m in debt, with Rae covering the rising interest payments each season.
I just wonder how long we will have our neighbours.
Crowds at Capplielow have plummeted this year, down 15% year on year, since 2005. The ground, as we all know, needs so much work its almost financially unfeasible to repair. The ground's location is hardly prime , be a car lot for Arnold Clark at best. And when the old boy finally goes, its the Easton's waiting in the wings- Oh joy.............
 
I know a big thing was made of the Tic Cup tie as only 18k trapped meaning a relatively small cheque for a plum draw
So lets spare a wee thought for Morton, they will miss us, in more ways than games................. their future is far from certain. As much as I cannae stand the bstards I would hate to see them go under
An ex work mate who support them told me recently that the Easton"s does want to buy the club but they won't pick up the 1.9 Million debt. Rae wants the debt paid by them (or his family does) before any deal to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

We have recently heard of Utd's financial plight and the fact they are over £1m in debt with worse to come, but I was surprised to see Ton's accounts showing that they in fact are £1.9m in debt, with Rae covering the rising interest payments each season.

I just wonder how long we will have our neighbours.

Crowds at Capplielow have plummeted this year, down 15% year on year, since 2005. The ground, as we all know, needs so much work its almost financially unfeasible to repair. The ground's location is hardly prime , be a car lot for Arnold Clark at best. And when the old boy finally goes, its the Easton's waiting in the wings- Oh joy.............

 

I know a big thing was made of the Tic Cup tie as only 18k trapped meaning a relatively small cheque for a plum draw

So lets spare a wee thought for Morton, they will miss us, in more ways than games................. their future is far from certain. As much as I cannae stand the bstards I would hate to see them go under

The club are in debt to the Raes who own the Ton, they have built up the debt over the 15 or so years they have been in charge of club - the problems is that Rae Snr. is in is eighties and his son does not seem to share the fathers enthusiasm.

This is a link to one of the many treads on their forum calling for the Raes to go. It appears that they want their money back before they leave! :lol: Did anyone say Uncle Roy?

http://www.greenockmorton.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=43431&page=6

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, renfrew said:
1 hour ago, DougJamie said:
We have recently heard of Utd's financial plight and the fact they are over £1m in debt with worse to come, but I was surprised to see Ton's accounts showing that they in fact are £1.9m in debt, with Rae covering the rising interest payments each season.
I just wonder how long we will have our neighbours.
Crowds at Capplielow have plummeted this year, down 15% year on year, since 2005. The ground, as we all know, needs so much work its almost financially unfeasible to repair. The ground's location is hardly prime , be a car lot for Arnold Clark at best. And when the old boy finally goes, its the Easton's waiting in the wings- Oh joy.............
 
I know a big thing was made of the Tic Cup tie as only 18k trapped meaning a relatively small cheque for a plum draw
So lets spare a wee thought for Morton, they will miss us, in more ways than games................. their future is far from certain. As much as I cannae stand the bstards I would hate to see them go under

An ex work mate who support them told me recently that the Easton"s does want to buy the club but they won't pick up the 1.9 Million debt. Rae wants the debt paid by them (or his family does) before any deal to sell.

Rae also very resistant to selling to the Easdales........... with obvious grounding............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, pod said:

Their future should be in ground sharing, but to stubborn to realise it. 

TBF, we have been here before with The Dundees, the Marr brothers had it tied up allegedly . Remember Mercer also at Hearts /Hibs. It doesn't work.....

Fans would flock to OF if it happened. Right or wrong its a Tribal thing

 

If Ton and Us joined, who would go? Obviously it would be a Paisley Club ...... but be tainted.................

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

The club are in debt to the Raes who own the Ton, they have built up the debt over the 15 or so years they have been in charge of club - the problems are tat Rae Snr. is in is eighties and his son does not seem to share the fathers enthusiasm.

This is a link to one of the many treads on their forum calling for the Raes to go. It appears that they want their money back before they leave! :lol: Did anyone say Uncle Roy?

http://www.greenockmorton.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=43431&page=6

 

The Raes should go............... leave the Stadium in exactly the same state  they found it............... just 30 years older.

Never understood what they did with the stand we gave them, and they only used 2 of our floodlights....... wish we had given them Alex Rae :whistle

Seriously the Easdales will use it to launder money not talent 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

 

launder money 

 

That'd be the only thing that got a regular wash down there.

 

Edit: re the rest of your comment - there are plenty of Ton fans who claim they would rather be standing in a decrepit Cappielow than in a modern progressive stadium, even if a switch allowed the club to progress. They're a backwards bunch, TBH.

Edited by Magic Monkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Magic Monkey said:

That'd be the only thing that got a regular wash down there.

Fast and Funny :D

With me working with Allan McGraw Jnr here, its great to finally have this season considering as they have finished above us in last 2 years. AM says club don't want promotion as they could not afford it............... still remember their 10-2 defeat to Accies a few years back. Wonder how many bookies the players visited before that game  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

TBF, we have been here before with The Dundees, the Marr brothers had it tied up allegedly . Remember Mercer also at Hearts /Hibs. It doesn't work.....

Fans would flock to OF if it happened. Right or wrong its a Tribal thing

 

Built  stands each side of the road and play street football. :)

Edited by pod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

I see Cowdenbeath have started a crowd funding page to raise £135.000 or they will be out of business. Sad times for Football.

And the fact of the matter is it's the bigger clubs, especially the biggest two, holding a monopoly and squeezing every last penny they can get with no consideration of the damage being done by not sharing cash a little more  that are to blame. They say we need these sponges to survive? tell that to the lower league clubs.

Edited by stlucifer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And the fact of the matter is it's the bigger clubs, especially the biggest two, holding a monopoly and squeezing every last penny they can get with no consideration of the damage being done by not sharing cash a little more  that are to blame. They say we need these sponges to survive? tell that to the lower league clubs.
The same big clubs who will offer their colts to take up the league positions when small teams go bust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

There but for the grace of god...

before celebrating what may or may not happen to the Ton, lets see how our finances sit after a full season in the Premiership.

Stolen from a QotS supporter on P&B regarding the perils of promotion. 

Quote

You know 12th place in the Premiership gets over £1m in prize money compared to circa £200k for midtable Championship right? Thats before we mention the parachute payments when and if you come back down.

Anyone who thinks there is a financial argument against promotion is stark raving bonkers!

 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Their future should be in ground sharing, but to stubborn to realise it. 
The only surface that can handle two teams playing on it throughout a full season are Astroturf pitches. Who could they share with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Stolen from a QotS supporter on P&B regarding the perils of promotion. 

 

And clubs still overspend the more they worry they are going to lose out. Lets see how we handle all the aspects of being back up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×