Grow a Pair

21 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

In other words you don't rate Stubbs...

I want the man to succeed but what we saw on Saturday was disgraceful.  The centre half (I won't name him again as I am unsure I am spelling it correctly for starters) debacle is beyond ridiculous.  I do hope he shrugs off these idiotic tendancies and makes it work but  I already have the fear.

2 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

I want the man to succeed but what we saw on Saturday was disgraceful.  The centre half (I won't name him again as I am unsure I am spelling it correctly for starters) debacle is beyond ridiculous.  I do hope he shrugs off these idiotic tendancies and makes it work but  I already have the fear.

This

7 hours ago, DougJamie said:

And what did your instinct tell you going to Ayr 19 months ago facing certain relegation and a young manager with hardly any experience and losing nearly every week. Did it tell u what happened and why we play Hearts Sat and not Montrose........

If i could be bothered looking back to find the proof it would tell you that i rated JR from day one and predicted he would come good.

Cannot reconcile the "we're on our way to the championship" tweet made by a leading St Mirren fan and the concept of support as I understand it but recognise the right of an individual to say it. Time will tell. We will all be tested this season. That's the only certainty at this point IMO

15 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Cannot reconcile the "we're on our way to the championship" tweet made by a leading St Mirren fan and the concept of support as I understand it but recognise the right of an individual to say it. Time will tell. We will all be tested this season. That's the only certainty at this point IMO

Who and why is he a leading St Mirren fan? :blink:

Where is the league of leading St Mirren fans?  :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Silly me. :lol:

Forgot Ricky is the expert on the definition of 

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Silly me. :lol:

Forgot Ricky is the expert on the definition of a supporter/fan. :wink:

12 minutes ago, pod said:

Because he's not a leading  St.Mirren supporter. :P

So it would appear. Substitute the word prominent. Perhaps a better choice.

Edited by St.Ricky

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, oaksoft said:

You are adding nothing here other than to deliberately come onto a thread created by a guy you claim to have on ignore for the sole purpose of giving him verbal abuse. You are the problem here.

There is nothing that can be added to this thread as it is nonsense and repetitive to start with. And your comment certainly adds to, well, nothing. I only have one numpty on ignore as I openly confessed to taking every poster off the function some time ago. That's about to change though.  As for you interceding, pot/kettle. You seem to be a little defensive softy. Are you and he overly familiar?

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, DougJamie said:

Oh and Stubbs can go now is a good title is it:byebye As for sharp end i think the fairies have visited you this week. Take a chill pill and a wee nap. Come back in May when all the excitement is over:byebye

One doesn't make the other "good". 

What I will say is that one of the thread starters is far more prolific in starting nonsensical, unnecessary threads than the other. I'm just a little fed up trying to see the wheat from the chaff on the forum and don't understand what makes a person want to overrun a site with sh!te. Just seems a bit odd so I feel I have a right to comment now and again.

19 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

There is nothing that can be added to this thread as it is nonsense and repetitive to start with. And your comment certainly adds to, well, nothing. I only have one numpty on ignore as I openly confessed to taking every poster off the function some time ago. That's about to change though.  As for you interceding, pot/kettle. You seem to be a little defensive softy. Are you and he overly familiar?

What I will say is that one of the thread starters is far more prolific in starting nonsensical, unnecessary threads than the other. I'm just a little fed up trying to see the wheat from the chaff on the forum and don't understand what makes a person want to overrun a site with sh!te. Just seems a bit odd so I feel I have a right to comment now and again.

BECOME A MOD AND YOU CAN OBSESS OVER CERTAIN FORUMSTERS ALL DAYS LONG.

22 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

You being unable to skim by certain usernames is extremely worrying. :blink:

24 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

COMES ONTO FOOTBALL DISCUSSION FORUM JUST TO BAIT AND ABUSE ST MIRREN SUPPORTERS.

Behaviour I dinnae inderstand.

On 8/29/2018 at 1:12 PM, Bud the Baker said:

On page 2 of the Ipswich thread back on May 11 I  said that it was the worst time in the season (sic) to face uncertainty about managerial change, especially so in our case as JR had by that time culled the fringe players within the squad and we'd lost three of our Starting 11- Davis,  Morgan & Liam Smith - this left us in a completely different situation to Livi. Most of the players JR had targeted as replacements clearly got cold feet and TF/GLS seemed to chose not to pursue any of these players - a mistake IMO. When JR finally left it took two weeks to appoint Stubbs when we should have had someone ready to step in straight away. Further dithering by AS meant it took a further two weeks before any signings were made losing Reilly along the way. The lack of signings during this period (only Paul McGinn & Kellerman arrived) left us behind schedule in terms of squad building and unfortunately we've never caught up. The apparent desire since then to remove Ross's players ASAP, individually all the departures all made some sense but collectively it hasn't helped with squad continuity, throw in none of incoming players looking like upgrades and you've got The Perfect Storm

As for style of play Livi's back to basics approach to the game was always going to suit a team in their first season in the top flight and its staggering that Stubbs, Jackson & Rice did not know that too. We desperately need a leader at CH (this week) & IMO a change in a style of play for the rest of this season.

Despite all the doom&gloom were not in one of the relegation slots (yet) and for once I find myself at the more optimistic end of the spectrum. Stubbs is going nowhere soon and we'd all be better off offering Stubbs all the support we can muster - COYS!

As I understand it AS has stated that he wants competition for all positions.  This implies a First Team Squad of at least 22 players.  Present injuries are well documented and have contributed perhaps to lack of movement out of the club by e.g. Gary Mac and Adam Eck. He talked about movement of players between Ross County and Saints hasn't materialised.  I am a fan of both Gary and Adam but respect the new manager's right to make decisions.  I would have liked to see Mikey Johnston from Celtic on loan plus a centre back with top-level experience and a striker but recognise that AS and Tony F are working within the budget allocated which,  by my argument stretches to a top team squad of 22.  I may be wrong but I don't think any of the "windfall" transfer money from Lewis Morgan or John McGinn would be added to the budget at this point.  I also tend to think that they compensation money received from Sunderland will have been ringing fenced as "just incase" money.  

On 8/28/2018 at 10:46 PM, St.Ricky said:

Fans and supporters need to grow a pair and face up to the fact that the step up was never going to be easy.  Any who thought we would have beaten Aberdeen in the League Cup or be sitting in 3rd place or higher should seriously think again.  Time to grow a pair and support the board and manager and that includes the players.  Will this post make me popular..... Absolutely not. 

Interesting philosophy that you are somehow not a man unless you follow a guy who is 'The Manager' regardless of his skill-set.

I have never had any say on who is appointed the SMFC manager. Usually it is someone that is not my first choice however regardless on who it is they always start off with me with a clean slate. It is what they do afterwards that either earns my respect or not. Any manager I believe need a strategy, good man management skills and good communication skills. Our current manager has failed miserably on all three counts after only 12 weeks or so.

The squad is arguably weaker now that it was last season in the Championship. Incoming players have not shown to be good enough in games against lower league opposition never mind top clubs. He has alienated most of last season's squad with appalling man management. He made promises he didn't keep and refers to 'the players' instead of 'we' ie a 'them and us' scenario. But we have to continue to back him?

For me 'growing a pair' is not blindly backing someone just because of their job title. For me 'growing a pair' is speaking out when someone has clearly made, and continues to make, huge errors of judgement, not by silence or insincere support.

There is little I can do about the situation. I do not boo. I have purchased my season ticket and will continue to attend Home games but will probably give most Away games a miss until the situation changes. But do not ask me to support someone who is not up to the job and infer that somehow those that don't support the manager are inferior to those that do support him.

And I do not personally know anyone who thought the step up would be easy; nor that we would beat Aberdeen nor anyone who is not supportive of the Board. Every supporter I personally know believes the manager has made a complete mess of an amazingly positive situation and reversed it completely in only a matter of a couple of months by demonstrating very poor management skills.

30 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Interesting philosophy that you are somehow not a man unless you follow a guy who is 'The Manager' regardless of his skill-set.

I have never had any say on who is appointed the SMFC manager. Usually it is someone that is not my first choice however regardless on who it is they always start off with me with a clean slate. It is what they do afterwards that either earns my respect or not. Any manager I believe need a strategy, good man management skills and good communication skills. Our current manager has failed miserably on all three counts after only 12 weeks or so.

The squad is arguably weaker now that it was last season in the Championship. Incoming players have not shown to be good enough in games against lower league opposition never mind top clubs. He has alienated most of last season's squad with appalling man management. He made promises he didn't keep and refers to 'the players' instead of 'we' ie a 'them and us' scenario. But we have to continue to back him?

For me 'growing a pair' is not blindly backing someone just because of their job title. For me 'growing a pair' is speaking out when someone has clearly made, and continues to make, huge errors of judgement, not by silence or insincere support.

There is little I can do about the situation. I do not boo. I have purchased my season ticket and will continue to attend Home games but will probably give most Away games a miss until the situation changes. But do not ask me to support someone who is not up to the job and infer that somehow those that don't support the manager are inferior to those that do support him.

And I do not personally know anyone who thought the step up would be easy; nor that we would beat Aberdeen nor anyone who is not supportive of the Board. Every supporter I personally know believes the manager has made a complete mess of an amazingly positive situation and reversed it completely in only a matter of a couple of months by demonstrating very poor management skills.

A good response Sonny. I mirror your approach in most things and certainly don't advocate blind faith.  However.  We have a manager,  recently appointed by the board.  The timing and manner of the previous manager leaving (of whom I was a fan)  left a lot to do but little time in which to do it.  We are still able to  sign free agents where they have been released by their club before the window closed and indeed it still has a few hours of the window left.  Tony could have been / could be a bit more voluble but clearly wants to leave the  manager to be the mouthpiece.  So.. Whilst seeing a lot of sense in your post,  I still think AS and the board need the support to hold their nerve.  Those I mix with felt that last year's squad was not up to life in the Premiership and JR clearly agreed.  The discomfort at present seems to centre on 3 or 4 players where the incoming managers view of the existing playing staff differed from that of JR.  Had they been fit and in demand then no doubt other teams would have been looking to sign them.  They haven't. Again,  I like both Adam and Gary as players but, not moving them on has restricted the ability of Tony to bring in replacements.  Obviously others will have different opinions. 

Edited by St.Ricky

24 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Great post summed up perfectly.