Scams

faraway saint

You hear about plenty of people getting scammed these days.

Today I've had one of the "We heard about a recent car accident you had" so I said I was driving and suddenly screamed I was crashing, the person hung up.

I've also had a "job offer" from a hospital in the UAE, seemingly fast tracked with no interview and a great contract with a salary of almost £49,000 a  month, aye, a month. :lol: I'm not even a real doctor, although that wasn't the position offered.

The "catch" is I have to pay for the associated visas, approx £1000 so I said was short of funds, they immediately came back with an offer to accept 60% to which I replied I can only raise 40%, would the employer, cough cough, pay the remainder........................awaiting their response.

It's easy to laugh but with so many people getting targeted there will be some gullible/desperate people who will get sucked in. 

I reported the "accident" call to the ICO (https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/thanks/ ) 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You hear about plenty of people getting scammed these days.

Today I've had one of the "We heard about a recent car accident you had" so I said I was driving and suddenly screamed I was crashing, the person hung up.

I've also had a "job offer" from a hospital in the UAE, seemingly fast tracked with no interview and a great contract with a salary of almost £49,000 a  month, aye, a month. :lol: I'm not even a real doctor, although that wasn't the position offered.

The "catch" is I have to pay for the associated visas, approx £1000 so I said was short of funds, they immediately came back with an offer to accept 60% to which I replied I can only raise 40%, would the employer, cough cough, pay the remainder........................awaiting their response.

It's easy to laugh but with so many people getting targeted there will be some gullible/desperate people who will get sucked in. 

I reported the "accident" call to the ICO (https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/thanks/ ) 

Can this thread be merged with Alan Stubbs Appreciation Thread

Also had an  "accident claim" call.

I said, yes, I was out in my tank and I ran over a cyclist.  She said hang on and I will put you through to claims agent.

He ask me if I had been involved in car accident, I said, no.  Have you had an accident at work, I said no. Have you been involve in any accident, again I said no. 

He went on to say, your wasting my time :blink: I said, yous are the ones that called me and wasting my time. F**k off.

3 minutes ago, pod said:

Also had an  "accident claim" call.

I said, yes, I was out in my tank and I ran over a cyclist.  She said hang on and I will put you through to claims agent.

He ask me if I had been involved in car accident, I said, no.  Have you had an accident at work, I said no. Have you been involve in any accident, again I said no. 

He went on to say, your wasting my time :blink: I said, yous are the ones that called me and wasting my time. F**k off.

When they call, just ask if you could talk to their parents- as that clearly was an accident :whistle 

Me and the wife were  on a short break in August when she got a call from one of the Personnel Injury mobs asking her about her recent accident , She told them that she had been the driver and she had a bump , They asked if she had maybe suffered whiplash or any other injury so she tells them that she was a bit tipsy and had left the scene of the accident , the guy then says maybe you should phone your lawyer and hung up. 

I often appear to have been in car accidents. I vary my responses from the more common "It was so bad I don't remember it" to the more enjoyable versions when I have time on my hands. I had them going for ten minutes once until they asked who my passengers were, which I claimed included Barack Obama. I've also slowly spelled my number plate out to them as F...U... and it's brilliant when they finish spelling it out for me. 

The other regular call I tend to get is the PPI ones. Responses vary from "I probably didn't as I was a child during PPI time?" to once again dragging it out. I convinced one that my name was Arthur McArthur. As I haven't bothered to fill out claim forms (or given the correct address in the first place) I occasionally get calls asking for "Arthur McArthur" and don't understand how they think it's a serious name.

I also told another one I was a Slovakian bricklayer called Cedric Trumpet, it was amusing being referred to as Mr Trumpet. When asked my address I would claim I moved around a lot for work so I didn't have a permanent one, all this while trying to put on a Eastern European accent.

I often appear to have been in car accidents. I vary my responses from the more common "It was so bad I don't remember it" to the more enjoyable versions when I have time on my hands. I had them going for ten minutes once until they asked who my passengers were, which I claimed included Barack Obama. I've also slowly spelled my number plate out to them as F...U... and it's brilliant when they finish spelling it out for me. 
The other regular call I tend to get is the PPI ones. Responses vary from "I probably didn't as I was a child during PPI time?" to once again dragging it out. I convinced one that my name was Arthur McArthur. As I haven't bothered to fill out claim forms (or given the correct address in the first place) I occasionally get calls asking for "Arthur McArthur" and don't understand how they think it's a serious name.
I also told another one I was a Slovakian bricklayer called Cedric Trumpet, it was amusing being referred to as Mr Trumpet. When asked my address I would claim I moved around a lot for work so I didn't have a permanent one, all this while trying to put on a Eastern European accent.

I do the same thing, varying responses dependant on my mood and available time .
I’ve used the I can’t remember who’s fault it was I was so drunk at the time line , which one of my three accidents are you phoning about ?
But my favourite is telling them my name is Wayne f**kyirsel and getting them to repeat it as often as possible.
Childish ? You bet it is [emoji23]

I do also enjoy a call from our friends In the Microsoft tech team as they try to sort out my security issues with my best Hector Brocklebank voice getting them infuriated .

3 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

If you are in a car accident and are insured by Direct Line , they sell your details to a company that phone to see if you want to claim for wiplash etc. .

That didn't happen with me. Maybe it's a new thing.

I also opt out of everything when I buy stuff though so maybe that's it.

19 minutes ago, pod said:

Is that not breeching the data protection act.  Just asking.

Possibly , it was a couple of years ago but the phone call did know some details and DL did admit that they had passed on the details( l would imagine they didn't do it for free) . A fellow Buddie warned me that it would happen after l reported the shunt but he didn't know how they found out, now we know. .

As far as data protection goes , banks and credit companies certainly share data/sell it in present time , l don't know it that breeches data protection but it most certainly goes on at my time of writing. .

My estimation of DL has dropped but there is always a worse company , isn't there. .

51 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Possibly , it was a couple of years ago but the phone call did know some details and DL did admit that they had passed on the details( l would imagine they didn't do it for free) . A fellow Buddie warned me that it would happen after l reported the shunt but he didn't know how they found out, now we know. .

As far as data protection goes , banks and credit companies certainly share data/sell it in present time , l don't know it that breeches data protection but it most certainly goes on at my time of writing. .

My estimation of DL has dropped but there is always a worse company , isn't there. .

I'm sure they have more recently tightened up on it. Can't even get on to web sites now without ticking boxes.   

"I believe you were involved in an accident" It was no accident she meant it, and i have a witness "Oh we can still help because it was not your fault, what happened" well this woman drove straight into the side of my car and shunted me across the floor and into the fence. "Do you mean shunted you across the road" No the dodgems operator guy definitely said he saw her shunt me across the floor"

Just got one of the automated "have you had an accident etc" calls, this particular automated babe was called Katie, I was quite taken with her then,for no real reason, Adam came onto the phone..............

What happened to Katie I asked..................she passed you onto me................well feck off then Adam, I will only deal with Katie, and only of she's naked. 

He hung up!!!!! 

Guest TPAFKATS

I spoke to Katie earlier today. As soon as she ignored me and continued her automated script I hung up and blocked the number.
I took a similar call on the house phone last week. Explained I hadn't had an accident and was corrected by the call centre operative.
I politely ended the call at that point [emoji3]

Just now, TPAFKATS said:

I spoke to Katie earlier today. As soon as she ignored me and continued her automated script I hung up and blocked the number.
I took a similar call on the house phone last week. Explained I hadn't had an accident and was corrected by the call centre operative.
I politely ended the call at that point emoji3.png

Whit, MY Katie?

FFS, does "nobody" have any standards anymore? 

Trollop!