Alcohol Ban to be Lifted?

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Germany are light years ahead of us in terms of their attitudes to beer.

They have very strict laws about what you can even call a beer and they have to satisfy extremely high purity laws. Their beer is superb.  I can't remember the last time I even had a hangover drinking German beer and I'm including Oktoberfest when I was younger.

We have Tennent's Lager in comparison. :lol:
Our population has little or no concept of what good quality alcohol should taste like because the mentality here is to neck it within 15 minutes with the seemingly sole purpose of getting pissed. It really is pretty embarassing.  Equating drinkers in Scotland with German drinkers is like comparing oranges and chimps.

On the other hand, savouring a proper real ale which hasn't been chilled or stuffed with carbon dioxide is another league altogether.

I think it’s important that you clarify which ones are oranges and which ones are chimps. I don’t mind being an orange, but I don’t want to be a chimp.

Then again chimps are cute and clever (like me) and orange is a bit Rangersy.

Oh now I’m all confused. I need a drink.

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I think it would have been fairer if he had been forced to spend the rest of his life in jail like his wife. :P

Ach that would have been cleverer if you hadn't added the bit about Munich Red......

I actually don't know what those two taste like.

I know good alcohol when I taste it but I don't really drink at all now. Grew out of it when I hit 30. And I do mean grew out of it.

Shame you never grew out of boring people with your pompous lecturing.

And I do mean grew out of it.

:green

I think it’s important that you clarify which ones are oranges and which ones are chimps. I don’t mind being an orange, but I don’t want to be a chimp.

Then again chimps are cute and clever (like me) and orange is a bit Rangersy.

Oh now I’m all confused. I need a drink.

What about orangutans, they are orange and chimp-like :confused

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Help me out here Doakes.  I am a non drinker.  How would you explain the pleasures of drinking alcohol to me? 

Not easy to explain, depends on the type of alcohol. Personally I enjoy beer. If you try a few different beers (good ones), each will be different depending on the amount of hops, ingredients used - even the water used makes a difference. You should visit a brewery and do a tour, would probably find it interesting even if you don't drink. The more scientific answer is that some people are genetically programmed to dislike the taste of beer - whereas for some it releases a chemical called "striatal dopemine". For some that can be highly addictive, for others just an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon, and makes it more likely that you enjoy trying out new beers. I guess for me on a Saturday afternoon, I enjoy the social aspect. Some of the best conversations I've had have been over a few beers in the pub. 

4 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Not easy to explain, depends on the type of alcohol. Personally I enjoy beer. If you try a few different beers (good ones), each will be different depending on the amount of hops, ingredients used - even the water used makes a difference. You should visit a brewery and do a tour, would probably find it interesting even if you don't drink. The more scientific answer is that some people are genetically programmed to dislike the taste of beer - whereas for some it releases a chemical called "striatal dopemine". For some that can be highly addictive, for others just an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon, and makes it more likely that you enjoy trying out new beers. I guess for me on a Saturday afternoon, I enjoy the social aspect. Some of the best conversations I've had have been over a few beers in the pub. 

Shorter answer.............I like getting blootered. :wink:

21 hours ago, Doakes said:

To be fair, that's the reason I suggested using local breweries who would provide proper beer (German style)

Perhaps make a deal with West, Kelburn, Arran or a Brewery like that. All make very nice beers/lagers. If it's done right it would work. No Carling/Carslberg sh!te

There's no way this would happen though, the League would do some corporate deal to provide Fosters/Carlsberg/Carling type dross at every ground

1 minute ago, foxbar_bud said:

There's no way this would happen though, the League would do some corporate deal to provide Fosters/Carlsberg/Carling type dross at every ground

Aw I know, but it would be the best way to have it make a positive impact , rather than ending up with piss water that nobody really enjoys. Hate going to places like the Hydro for the reason that all you can buy is Heineken and Fosters :green

On 10/28/2018 at 8:47 PM, Graeme Aitken said:

I initially thought similarly but for all games.  I am intrigued by what constitutes a low risk game (in regards an alcohol ban at matches being lifted)

Low Risk games basically meaning games in which there is a very low chance of conflict breaking out amongst supporters or anti social behaviour taking place. So if this model were to be used, I wouldn't expect the ban to be lifted at games against Morton or the OF but completely fine for any other fixture IMO

Guest TPAFKATS
Low Risk games basically meaning games in which there is a very low chance of conflict breaking out amongst supporters or anti social behaviour taking place. So if this model were to be used, I wouldn't expect the ban to be lifted at games against Morton or the OF but completely fine for any other fixture IMO
Or games involving hearts or hibs.