Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
faraway saint

Scams - E-mail, text, calls

Recommended Posts

There's been, unsurprisingly, a dramatic rise in attempts to scam the public over the last year.

I've had the rather aggressive HMRC "call" threatening bailiffs unless I pay an outstanding bill, press 1 to blah blah blah.

As this bit is automated I just hang up but I've been tempted to press 1 to see if I get to speak to a "hooman", only my worry this could incur a charge stops me.

I've also had the Royal mail text.......................my Package has been held and will not be delivered due to a £1.99 unpaid shipping fee. Vist........................Some dodgy link.

I despair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Royal Mail scam cost some poor,unsuspecting,wumin 10k last week.They got off with her dunnie money and even maxed her overdraft.

Another to watch out for is Amazon Prime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

There's been, unsurprisingly, a dramatic rise in attempts to scam the public over the last year.

I've had the rather aggressive HMRC "call" threatening bailiffs unless I pay an outstanding bill, press 1 to blah blah blah.

As this bit is automated I just hang up but I've been tempted to press 1 to see if I get to speak to a "hooman", only my worry this could incur a charge stops me.

I've also had the Royal mail text.......................my Package has been held and will not be delivered due to a £1.99 unpaid shipping fee. Vist........................Some dodgy link.

I despair. 

I got 2 by the Royal Mail as well wanting £2,99. 

Deleted and number block right away. 

BBC got a story about an ex cop getting stung for 3K by the Post Office scam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HSS said:

The Royal Mail scam cost some poor,unsuspecting,wumin 10k last week.They got off with her dunnie money and even maxed her overdraft.

Another to watch out for is Amazon Prime.

 

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I got 2 by the Royal Mail as well wanting £2,99. 

Deleted and number block right away. 

BBC got a story about an ex cop getting stung for 3K by the Post Office scam.

How does the Post Office scam, starting out at £1.99 or £2.99 get to thousands?

It seems a big jump and alarm bells should be ringing early on? 

I heard a story, can't confirm, that if you press 1 on the HMRC you get to a person with no charge at that stage, If this is the case I'm having some of that the next time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

 

How does the Post Office scam, starting out at £1.99 or £2.99 get to thousands?

It seems a big jump and alarm bells should be ringing early on? 

I heard a story, can't confirm, that if you press 1 on the HMRC you get to a person with no charge at that stage, If this is the case I'm having some of that the next time. 

The girl from Birmingham is the story I heard on the radio last week

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/warning-royal-mail-text-scam-5251341.amp

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

 

How does the Post Office scam, starting out at £1.99 or £2.99 get to thousands?

It seems a big jump and alarm bells should be ringing early on? 

I heard a story, can't confirm, that if you press 1 on the HMRC you get to a person with no charge at that stage, If this is the case I'm having some of that the next time. 

I pressed it FS and got a guy telling me that I had been investigated for fraud and that I owed thousands in Tax and had been taken to court and my case was imminent. I explained to him I didn't think this was correct he asked if I had a lawyer as they were prepared to represent me if I didn't. I further explained that I work in and around Tax Legislation and Employment Law and that my Accountant was also my Agent for my finances and that I would have expected to hear about this investigation from him before it got to court....he sighed and hung up!! I've had the same message from a few different numbers now about the same thing but have checked with both my Accountant and HMRC and apparently I'm in the clear....phew!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I pressed it FS and got a guy telling me that I had been investigated for fraud and that I owed thousands in Tax and had been taken to court and my case was imminent. I explained to him I didn't think this was correct he asked if I had a lawyer as they were prepared to represent me if I didn't. I further explained that I work in and around Tax Legislation and Employment Law and that my Accountant was also my Agent for my finances and that I would have expected to hear about this investigation from him before it got to court....he sighed and hung up!! I've had the same message from a few different numbers now about the same thing but have checked with both my Accountant and HMRC and apparently I'm in the clear....phew!!

Great, I can't wait for the next call..........................the poor muppet will be taken for a ride. :wink:

Wait a minute, it's not you at the other end is it? :P

Edited by faraway saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Great, I can't wait for the next call..........................the poor muppet will be taken for a ride. :wink:

Wait a minute, it's not you at the other end is it? :P

That's a different scam 😇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have quite a bit of contact centre experience and if you get a nuisance call from a human ask to speak to their supervisor they soon hang up, of course you could hang up yourself but I prefer them to give up before I do, and it was a Gov't helpline I worked for before anyone questions my morality on the subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

I have quite a bit of contact centre experience and if you get a nuisance call from a human ask to speak to their supervisor they soon hang up, of course you could hang up yourself but I prefer them to give up before I do, and it was a Gov't helpline I worked for before anyone questions my morality on the subject.

^^^^^^^^ Scammer. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I work within the Credit Card industry and deal with customers, some of the scams are just unreal. Had a customer who has paid thousands to a crypto currency agent. Hermes, Royal Mail, umpteen dispatch company's.

 

Even had a customer insinuating that I was part of the scam and how did she know that she was speaking with the bank. I had to tell her she'd called us, lol

 

A big one just now is an automated voice stating their has been an overseas transaction of between £300 - £600 and press 1 to speak with someone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

I work within the Credit Card industry and deal with customers, some of the scams are just unreal. Had a customer who has paid thousands to a crypto currency agent. Hermes, Royal Mail, umpteen dispatch company's.

 

Even had a customer insinuating that I was part of the scam and how did she know that she was speaking with the bank. I had to tell her she'd called us, lol

 

A big one just now is an automated voice stating their has been an overseas transaction of between £300 - £600 and press 1 to speak with someone

I'm all over this "press 1", just to practice my Oscar winning performance as a scared rich man...........................for as long as I can to waste their time or I run out of patience and tell them to feck right off. :thumbs2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

As a former Postman I can confirm that the ONLY way that Royal Mail will contact you regarding an undelivered item of mail is by the "red card" that they will put through your letterbox.

No text, no email, NOTHING else.

Did you get the sack? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

As a former Postman I can confirm that the ONLY way that Royal Mail will contact you regarding an undelivered item of mail is by the "red card" that they will put through your letterbox.

No text, no email, NOTHING else.

Thankfully most people will know that but these scammers work on a numbers game, they "know" they will get a percentage of gullible people who will go for it.

They send out thousands a day, it only takes one to make it worthwhile.

Thanks for the clarity Pat. 

th?id=OIP.3yOv10KpuOUoIp8zuh9pZgHaFa&pid=Api&P=0&w=219&h=161

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Further, if you genuinely do have an item of mail addressed to you, which is underpaid your Postman will put a silver coloured card through your door stating the amount of underpaid postage plus the handling charge. It's 13 years ago since I plodded around my beat and back then the customer had to go to the delivery office with the card and payment but I suspect these days it can be paid for online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

There's been, unsurprisingly, a dramatic rise in attempts to scam the public over the last year.

I've had the rather aggressive HMRC "call" threatening bailiffs unless I pay an outstanding bill, press 1 to blah blah blah.

As this bit is automated I just hang up but I've been tempted to press 1 to see if I get to speak to a "hooman", only my worry this could incur a charge stops me.

I've also had the Royal mail text.......................my Package has been held and will not be delivered due to a £1.99 unpaid shipping fee. Vist........................Some dodgy link.

I despair. 

If only there was such an animal as an electronic Exocet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm all over this "press 1", just to practice my Oscar winning performance as a scared rich man...........................for as long as I can to waste their time or I run out of patience and tell them to feck right off. :thumbs2

Whenever one gets through to me I tell them my wallet is in the west wing and I will go and get it.... I then leave them on the phone for a good 20 minutes 😂 

I also used to send back empty 2nd class envelopes that come with junk mail to the credit card company’s as they pay for the post 😂 

pretty petty but you feel like your winning 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a new angle today on my wife's phone, some nice man was asking if she would like some help with her debt.

She' didn't play along too much............................."We don't have any debt, get your facts right if you're trying to scam someone".........................:byebye

I would like to meet these people, love to have a chat with hem about what they do for a living. :rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...