St Mirren v Arbroath, 22/7/23

1 hour ago, Hunterian said:

Can some direct me to the positive thread…..please 

Follow me Hunterian  :rolleyes: 

We'll kick off with a tour of the Brock-Madsen thread,  then over to our new French Strikers thread {No it's not Bahonken} It's Mikael Madron and after only 2 games he's already a big favourite with the fans calling him Big Mick,  at least I think that's what they're shouting  :rolleyes:

I'll finish you off with a wee video of Josh Heaton's best moments in the stripes 

1 hour ago, portmahomack saint said:

Follow me Hunterian  :rolleyes: 

We'll kick off with a tour of the Brock-Madsen thread,  then over to our new French Strikers thread {No it's not Bahonken} It's Mikael Madron and after only 2 games he's already a big favourite with the fans calling him Big Mick,  at least I think that's what they're shouting  :rolleyes:

I'll finish you off with a wee video of Josh Heaton's best moments in the stripes 

This sounds great, lead on.

Not breaking too much of a confidence but I’m in the Capital of the Highlands so you won’t have far to lead!

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

The League Cup group positions as we head into the Arbroath game.

image.png.b8697001237ef86db3f9c8843d5b44cd.png

This could come down to goal difference. We need to win all three games and if Forfar were to win the other two not against us three single goal wins would not top the group. 

Got to go for it on Saturday and turn that goal difference closer to Forfars.

On 7/20/2023 at 7:40 AM, exiledfan said:

This could come down to goal difference. We need to win all three games and if Forfar were to win the other two not against us three single goal wins would not top the group. 

Got to go for it on Saturday and turn that goal difference closer to Forfars.

Fair comment. I would certainly prefer to be in Forfar’s position right now. But — All to play for makes things interesting.

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

Been like that since we released the next Messi, sorry his grandson.

Really? Do you actually read past posts before spouting pish?

ETA

As for my grandson. He's in the 09 Scotland squad and was drafted into the 08s yesterday so he's doing just fine.

Edited by stlucifer

9 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Really? Do you actually read past posts before spouting pish?

ETA

As for my grandson. He's in the 09 Scotland squad and was drafted into the 08s yesterday so he's doing just fine.

Hopefully he develops a thicker skin than his grandfather 😂 

I’m sure you’d hate to hear him being criticised after his senior debut for a new club.

Joking aside its cut throat the chances of success through any academy system. 

Best advice would be to enjoy his football but prepare for a life outside as few elite academy footballers go on to make a professional first team appearance. 

“Of the 1.5 million boys who play organized youth football (soccer) in England, only ~180 will be signed professionally by a Premier League club, a success rate of 0.012% (Calvin, 2017). In 2011, 13,612 boys made up the professional football academy system in England. Despite this, 50% of all academy players leave the system before they are 16 (Premier League, 2012). Furthermore, ~98% of players awarded with an academy scholarship by English clubs at 16 are no longer playing in the top five tiers of English football at 18 (Calvin, 2017).”

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fspor.2022.941482/full

There are well documented cases of the immense pressure and commitment these young players are under and the rates of mental health issues are increasing. 

We have all seen promising young players at schoolboy international level who never make the grade. 

Check out the what happened to the Scotland u16 WC finalists in 1989:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47903212.amp

“By the next morning, though, they were back to being 15 and 16-year-olds struggling to establish themselves as professional footballers. Even Brown acknowledged that most of his squad were "okay, at best, individually" and only three of the 18 - O'Neil, Dickov and McLaren - would go on to win full international caps. 

Many, though, enjoyed careers in the senior game, with midfielder Neil Murray winning a domestic treble with Rangers, Bollan lifting the Scottish Cup with Dundee United, winger David Hagen winning the First Division with Livingston, and defender Scott Marshall making 27 appearances for Arsenal.

Others fell victim to an assortment of misfortunes - knee injuries did for Dundee United defenders Conville and Tom McMillan, Tannadice midfielder Lindsay and Kilmarnock goalkeeper Martin Dickson - or simply fell out of love with football. 

Arsenal goalkeeper Will, who was player of the tournament, dropped down the leagues before joining the police; Celtic full-back Jim Beattie became a taxi driver after fighting cancer; Aberdeen midfielder Downie became a postman; and Morton attacker McGoldrick quit football at 19 to work in a tannery.

"Some people peak earlier than others and some are late developers," says Bain, a car sales manager. "A lot of the guys were with big clubs and it was tough to break into their teams. 

"There are certain things you might have done differently but I've got no regrets... not many people have led Scotland out at a World Cup final at Hampden."

4 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Hopefully he develops a thicker skin than his grandfather 😂 

I’m sure you’d hate to hear him being criticised after his senior debut for a new club.

Thick skin? Really? If my grandson played as badly as our new striker and winger did, Nobody would need to criticise him. He's very critical about his own game. 

As a PROFESSIONAL footballer, you open yourself up to scrutiny so, when I criticise a player, it's because of what I saw when paying to watch them. WTF is wrong with that?

As for cookie monster's ridiculous comment.

I was simply pointing out the fact that I have not been negative at all. Well not until I saw the team playing since SR has let a good, solid defender and a winger who had potential go. (The latter was surplus simply because we don't play wingers). Then he seemingly upset a really good keeper. He's subsequently replaced them with a striker who looks like he's never seen a football, a winger, when he doesn't play wingers and what looks like an inferior keeper. Even now. He's bringing in another striker when it looks blatantly obvious we're weak in defence. Is that because he knows the one he added won't be up to the task?

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see this as strengthening the squad.

5 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Thick skin? Really? If my grandson played as badly as our new striker and winger did, Nobody would need to criticise him. He's very critical about his own game. 

Can you please explain all the mistakes he made during that game? Do you have video evidence to back that up?

Most people would agree that Connor was played as LWB - arguably in a position he’s perhaps not that comfortable in playing. I’m sure our new signing was critical of his own performance too. 

The amount of personal abuse I hear being shouted from the stands towards our own players is insane. 

I don’t think watching football at our level is a healthy pastime for such people. 

5 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Can you please explain all the mistakes he made during that game? Do you have video evidence to back that up?

Most people would agree that Connor was played as LWB - arguably in a position he’s perhaps not that comfortable in playing. I’m sure our new signing was critical of his own performance too. 

The amount of personal abuse I hear being shouted from the stands towards our own players is insane. 

I don’t think watching football at our level is a healthy pastime for such people. 

He was woeful in that position and, as I said, Robinson, historically, doesn't play wingers so why did he sign him and, since he did, WHERE will McMenamin play. If not LWB, why was he played there v Montrose? Square peg, round hole.

6 minutes ago, munoz said:

Looking forward to getting back to the football today. 

I think we'll see a different type of performance from our last 2 outings. 

Saints 3 Arbroath 1.

I really do hope so. I will be the first to admit I was wrong if Robinson's signing do click.

Just now, stlucifer said:

He was woeful in that position and, as I said, Robinson, historically, doesn't play wingers so why did he sign him and, since he did, WHERE will McMenamin play. If not LWB, why was he played there v Montrose? Square peg, round hole.

So is that the players fault or the manager?

You surely can’t make up your mind on one game - especially his first game for a new club. 

When you started your first day at a new job were all your fellow employees, managers and customers singing your praises?

Just now, Albanian Buddy said:

So is that the players fault or the manager?

You surely can’t make up your mind on one game - especially his first game for a new club. 

When you started your first day at a new job were all your fellow employees, managers and customers singing your praises?

You misunderstand what I am saying. I don't doubt McMenamin is a really good winger but we DON'T PLAY wingers My point is we signed a player who either doesn't play or doesn't play in the position that got him noticed. It just doesn't make seem logical.

2 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I really do hope so. I will be the first to admit I was wrong if Robinson's signing do click.

It's a bit early to judge the new signings for me. I'd wait till they're all up to speed fitness wise.

That said, we should be defeating teams in our group (Montrose included).

Hopefully another week of training will show today.