St Mirren v Motherwell SPFL PREMIERSHIP 16/12/23

shull

Agreed. But even if Kettlewell is still in charge on Saturday, there's still the old custom of generous St. Mirren giving a team in difficulties a hand to break out of a bad run. We've seen it all too often over the years. So, no complacency, a repeat of last Saturday's performance, everybody in good form and playing at full blast please.

COYS!!

Agreed. But even if Kettlewell is still in charge on Saturday, there's still the old custom of generous St. Mirren giving a team in difficulties a hand to break out of a bad run. We've seen it all too often over the years. So, no complacency, a repeat of last Saturday's performance, everybody in good form and playing at full blast please.
COYS!!

Supporters of every team think the exact same thing about their team. I think it's a case of only remembering the good or bad results and forgetting the expected, "mundane", run-of-the-mill ones.

On 12/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, Slarti said:

Supporters of every team think the exact same thing about their team. I think it's a case of only remembering the good or bad results and forgetting the expected, "mundane", run-of-the-mill ones.

Didn't we get the St. Johnstone manager the sack after we pumped them 4-0? Kettlewell's coat's hanging on a shoogly peg and I think that suits us well. An early goal against this mob and we could well skelp them. That lad Biereth is a threat, though.

Didn't we get the St. Johnstone manager the sack after we pumped them 4-0? Kettlewell's coat's hanging on a shoogly peg and I think that suits us well. An early goal against this mob and we could well skelp them. That lad Biereth is a threat, though.
I just don't like Motherwell supporters, they have this delusion that they're a "big team". Aye, OK, not all of them, but a fair %age.

20 minutes ago, Slarti said:
1 hour ago, W6er said:

I just don't like Motherwell supporters, they have this delusion that they're a "big team". Aye, OK, not all of them, but a fair %age.

I think we're getting bigger gates than them now. However, unless I'm mistaken they have spent decades in the top-flight now - whereas Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen have all been relegated in that time.

8 hours ago, W6er said:

I think we're getting bigger gates than them now. However, unless I'm mistaken they have spent decades in the top-flight now - whereas Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen have all been relegated in that time.

Motherwell have been in the top league for 38 years.

Aberdeen have never been relegated

4 minutes ago, Prague Buddie said:

Correct! They have never been relegated. They survived one year due to league reconstruction, if I remember right.

“Aberdeen have finished at the foot of the table twice in their history, once in 1917 and again in 2000. They avoided the drop due to the ongoing First World War in the first instance. However, they were saved from relegation due to a more bizarre reason at the turn of the millennium.

The Granite City side would lose 21 of their 36 games finishing at the bottom of the table with 33 points, relegation loomed.

In the following season, the league was set to expand to 12 teams, Dunfermline and St Mirren were promoted from the First Division to make up the numbers.

The final position in the top flight was set to be decided in a play-off between bottom placed Aberdeen and First Division outfit Falkirk.

However, the Dons were saved from the drop by a technicality. Falkirk's ground was not compliant with SPL regulations, and they were not allowed to play in the top flight.

Brockville Park hindered the Bairns on numerous occasions, stopping them from making the jump into the top flight.“

There was/is a degree of “protectionism” in place with the top flight.

St Mirren benefited from such league reconstruction back in the 1990/91 season.
Personally I feel that both those decisions were wrong. Aberdeen and our club should have been relegated with a team from the lower league promoted. 
If Falkirk ground not suitable then the next club down. 

11 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Aberdeen have never been relegated. 

11 hours ago, Prague Buddie said:

Motherwell have been in the top league for 38 years.

Aberdeen have never been relegated

Thanks for making me aware of that, both of you! :) I must have got confused, as I recall them finishing bottom of the league.