The Club Buy Out - 10000 Hours

OK so in the simplest terms, it seems to me that this is happening:

The CIC

The CIC will get the money to raise the 2M quid from a variety of grants and soft loans etc. This money has already been promised, dependant on a business plan which the final part of is being implemented at the moment. This business plan shows that the CIC can make a minimum of 130,000 quid (apporx) a year which satisfies any loan agreement. And even if this number falls short of 130,000, the loans are soft so can't be called in and are not secured against anything - as far as i can see, it'll just take longer to pay the loans off?

Please correct me if any of this is wrong?

The main bit I have a problem with is the "soft loan". Who will provide the approximately £2,000,000 soft loan, and why would anyone do this ? What happens when the income from the CIC fails to pay the interest let alone the capital on the loan ? Will gate money and TV money have to come from the club side of this scheme to fill the gap ? Any one who thinks a bar at Greenhill Road open for two or three hours every second week for part of the year will be a financial goldmine is living in a dream world.

Edited by animal

That's over 600 information registrations in now on the 10000Hours website :D

I have signed up and think the whole idea is bordering on madness - so please don't think that all 600 are in favor. We just want to find out how mad it is !

Edited by animal

Have not seen this pasted from the PDE

Atkinson: I’m giving St Mirren back to Paisley

Apr 1 2011 by Andy Newport, Paisley Daily Express

THE man hoping to deliver St Mirren to the people of Paisley claims the club is embarking on “something very special”.

Maxi Group haulage boss Richard Atkinson, left, is just weeks away from completing a radical community-backed takeover of Saints and has predicted a bright future for the club.

The Paisley Daily Express can reveal that Atkinson has set up a Community Interest Company called 10,000 Hours to buy a controlling 52-per-cent stake in the club put up for sale by current chairman Stewart Gilmour and four other directors.

And today fans, local businesses and charity groups will be offered the chance to register their interest in the new venture by signing up to a new website.

Atkinson needs 300 fans paying £10 a month, as well as around three dozen companies and community groups who will also make a financial contribution, to push through the £2million deal.

In return, he will offer each of them a say in how the club is run – and even the chance to earn a place on the St Mirren board.

Now, in an exclusive interview with the Express, Atkinson outlines his vision for the future and answers all the questions fans want to know.

WHAT IS THE LATEST DEVELOPMENT?

WE’VE launched a website –10000hours.org – and that will allow fans, companies and community groups to register their details if they wish to join the CIC.

The reason for the name of the company is that 10,000 hours of professional training or education in any complex task is generally seen as what is required to bring you to a world-class level.

At the heart of this, it’s not just talking about being naturally talented, it’s that if you put the hard work into any task, you can be world class.

Hopefully we are now going to see the benefits of that kind of mentality coming through at St Mirren.

WHAT’S IN IT FOR THOSE WHO SIGN UP TO THE CIC?

THIS project is about shared ownership and shared control. It’s about giving everyone involved a genuine say in how the club is run.

Anyone who wants to put their head above the parapet will be given the chance to truly influence what goes on at the club and the direction it takes.

HOW MANY GROUPS HAVE COMMITTED?

WE already have a number of companies and community groups signed up. We have got about three quarters of what we need.

WHAT BENEFITS ARE THERE FOR BUSINESSES AND CHARITIES TO GET INVOLVED?

IF you, as an individual mainly concerned with the fortunes of your club, can see that by shopping with a business or organisation attached to the club that it will have a direct impact back onto your club’s budget and the money that can be spent on putting a team out on the pitch, you are more likely to support those businesses.

And vice versa, if community groups believe they can be better by getting access to our facilities and the nous on offer at the club, such as our marketing department, our physios, or any other number of things a football club can offer, then they may sign up too.

Members of those groups may think: ‘Well, if I’m going to have a birthday party or a conference, I’ll host it at St Mirren Park’ and that generates new income for us without having to spend money on employing marketing people to go and find that new business.

IF ST MIRREN ARE RELEGATED, WILL THAT IMPACT ON THE TAKEOVER?

I DON’T believe so. Fundamentally, this deal is about the community and the community is not going anywhere. The facility will still be here. The supporter base won’t just decide ‘that’s it’ and not come back.

I don’t believe the overall deal is in jeopardy should the worst-case scenario occur.

WHAT WILL THE DEAL MEAN FOR THE TEAM?

WE have so far focused a lot on the community benefit of the project, but we are keen to stress that there will be a footballing benefit too.

We believe we can generate more money by being closer entrenched with the community and that will trickle through the club to the playing side.

ARE ST MIRREN THE ONLY CLUB USING THE CIC MODEL?

I THINK you can see from the media in the last few weeks that a lot of clubs are thinking about this.

Even today, I’ve been told about a club in England who are interested in what we are doing up here.

But the difference is that we are a club which is not in distress. Very often the fans are seen as THE last port of call, when the sugar daddy is fed up, when the bank won’t loan them any more money.

Even if other clubs do follow what we’re doing, they will be doing it from some sort of position of weakness.

WHAT IS IN THIS FOR YOU?

THERE is nothing in this for me that is any greater than for anyone else who wants to get involved.

It’s very, very difficult for an individual to make any money from a CIC and I will publically state that I will not take any kind of dividend.

SO IF YOU’RE NOT IN IT FOR THE MONEY, WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION?

I WANT to prove that this can be done. Folk often talk about having fans and the community involved in football clubs but I want to show it can happen.

A lot of people say that sort of thing would be great for the game, but no-one ever has a go. I’m giving it a try.

ARE ST MIRREN AT RISK IF THERE IS A FINANCIAL DISASTER?

TO buy the club from the consortium, we will have to take out a loan but the club will not hold the debt, 10,000 Hours will. The club, at the moment, is not taking on any debt or any underwriting of any debt.

If disaster does strike the CIC, the impact on the club will be very little. We do not believe the club will be at any risk.

HAS DANNY LENNON BEEN CONSULTED?

I’VE had a few discussions with Danny but nothing in-depth yet. My role on the current board is on the commercial side and it’s not my place to be down at the training ground commenting on things.

We need to complete the takeover first before I can think about that but, if things continue as they are, we hope to have everything settled in time for Danny to prepare properly for next season.

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HAVE IN STORE?

I AM excited that if the deal completes, the community puts their hands up to say, ‘yes we are interested’, that we’re on the verge of something very special.

I have signed up and think the whole idea is bordering on madness - so please don't think that all 600 are in favor. We just want to find out how mad it is !

60 posts to your name and not one of them even indirectly related to football. You're scaremongering.

What's your story?

Gordon Scott in disguise?

Guest somner9

just read Atkinson's piece in the sun is it just me or does he think he's buying "Glasgow ladies Football Team"?

by the look of his picture and his words i can only draw the conclusion that he is a F@*ny

still regisered interest, "keep your enemies closer still"

just read Atkinson's piece in the sun is it just me or does he think he's buying "Glasgow ladies Football Team"?

by the look of his picture and his words i can only draw the conclusion that he is a F@*ny

Yes. It's just you.

You have no evidence to base that accusation on. Maybe he used too many big words in his interview for you to handle. <_<

Guest somner9

Yes. It's just you.

You have no evidence to base that accusation on. Maybe he used too many big words in his interview for you to handle. <_<

oh tetchy!!!!

pray tell which are the BIG words????

are they Football, Ladies, Club, Glasgow?

Guest somner9

You tell me, you're the one who didn't understand the interview. :rolleyes:

i am puzzled on a number of different levels?

I am sure i don't know you, and that probably follows you don't know me?

so why would you decide to insult me in a public forum for whatever reason?

or am i only allowed to make comments that you agree with and sign off? either way your a brave boy i'll give you that

or am i only allowed to make comments that you agree with and sign off? either way your a brave boy i'll give you that

Ooh the irony! I presume you don't know Richard either but you are prepared to insult him (he's a fanny etc) on a public forum. Is Richard only allowed to make comments you agree with then?

You insulted Mr. Atkinson on a public forum and I'd put money on you not knowing him, so it seemed fair game. :wink:

Guest somner9

You insulted Mr. Atkinson on a public forum and I'd put money on you not knowing him, so it seemed fair game. :wink:

so anyone who has insulted anyone connected with the club should be insulted?

you'll be busy issuing your reposte's

what Mr Atkinson needs is quick lessons in conducting media interviews, especially around the target audience. i have extensive experience in this field and would have made sure he didnt use SMFC and GLFC in the same interview, his first series of interviews to the fans. but hey what do i know about big words and stuff?

what Mr Atkinson needs is quick lessons in conducting media interviews, especially around the target audience. i have extensive experience in this field and would have made sure he didnt use SMFC and GLFC in the same interview, his first series of interviews to the fans. but hey what do i know about big words and stuff?

No, but don't dish it out if you can't take it back. :)

It seemed pretty clear to me that he was talking about St. Mirren, providing an anecdote about how he got in touch with St. Mirren which happened to involve GLFC.

If you think people are going to get confused by this - indeed, if you are confused - maybe you should find a new career. :lol:

oh tetchy!!!!

pray tell which are the BIG words????

are they Football, Ladies, Club, Glasgow?

More or less the first poster to agree with something animal has said... Immediately after posting you have a number of people replying negatively to you. You continue to dig yourself into a hole. You have "extensive experience" in communicating anything to anyone? Give it a rest and tell it to your JSA advisor when you go to sign on this Tuesday. :P

If you give out an insult, you should expect one back. If you can't handle it, don't give them out. And certainly don't carry on crying in public about it.

If he's a "brave boy" then presumably I am too - I am, but please explain what you mean by that? Was it some form of veiled thread... :lol::lol: :lol: Quality stuff, threatened by an anonymous internet alias!!!

Whatever next? You'll be calling me names, telling how much experience you have at battering people and how you know where I live.

Any one who thinks a bar at Greenhill Road open for two or three hours every second week for part of the year will be a financial goldmine is living in a dream world.

Anyone who thinks a fully kitted out bar and kitchen facility would only be used for two or three hours every second week for part of the year is living in cloud cuckoo land !

On the other 48% of the shares...

Could the owners of these shares transfer them to the CIC for an equivalent membership share in the CIC?

So everyone with a small share - <1% - could use their share in the club as part or all of a down payment on a CIC membership?

This could reduce the overall number of shareholders of the club and help lead to a totally fan owned club.

I'm quite happy being a shareholder and have no wish to join the CiC far less donate my shares to them. I'm also one of the 600 who have registered with 10000hours but I have absolutely no intention of handing over any of my cash to them. This whole situation pisses me off, I feel it's a distraction from what I want to see - a successful Saints team on the park.