Seven Saints Psychopaths

Vambo57

jackie copeland

I don't know it's fair including Jackie. He only hit guys that were asking for it. The usual psychopaths were just dirty bastards who could be an embarrassment to the club and got their retaliation in first. At Motherwell when we got kicked off the park in one of the worst refereeing displays witnessed in Scottish football, Jackie nearly got that bastard Miller but somebody dragged him away. A real pity.

I would struggle to name seven but the first three are easy Aber, Aber and Aber. Four more to go.

Goodwin would be in with a shout I reckon - a self proclaimed enforcer who has a reputation with the opposition and easily wound up that young Hibs player last season who got himself sent off.

Saw the thread title and had exactly the same thought Colin. Only Aber comes remotely close !

Aye Billy, my only real memory of Hugh playing was in the League Cup Semi-final V Celtic at Hampden ('71 was it?).

Hugh was being torn apart by Jimmy Johnstone, so he finally snapped, chased after Johnstone and toed the wee man right up the arse... lifted him right off the ground if I disremember correctly, then just walked off the pitch before the ref could even show him the red card.... class psycho!

ETA... he looked a bit like Alice Cooper too!

Edited by Vambo57

That was my first Semi Final watching St Mirren in 1971.

I thought then it wid be a regular occurence.

We did get tae Hampden regularly in that era but unfortunately the Spiders were the opposition.

Edited by shull

My memory of the 71 semi was that Shug booted wee jinky a couple of times when Celtic were struggling and it remained 0-0 , he was booked for another foul on Johnstone then clugged Bobby Lennox a beauty. He was sent off and we were beaten 3-0 despite "scoring" a perfectly good opening goal through Archie Knox . As usual , he was flagged off and we were cheated !

These guys are mere amateurs (perhaps not Aber!) who were hard and pretty tough on the park . In the sixties we had a guy called Faulds who became known as Axe Man Faulds after he went to jail, a guy in the reserves who was the leader off of the Calton Tong who ran on to the park covered in bruises and then in the early seventies we had Sandy Clelland who was known as Mad Mental even by his workmates in the Burgh Roads Dept. These guys were serious psychos both on and off the park. spudnikconfounded.gif

My memory of the 71 semi was that Shug booted wee jinky a couple of times when Celtic were struggling and it remained 0-0 , he was booked for another foul on Johnstone then clugged Bobby Lennox a beauty. He was sent off and we were beaten 3-0 despite "scoring" a perfectly good opening goal through Archie Knox . As usual , he was flagged off and we were cheated !

Looks like I correctly disremembered 1eye.gif

I prefer my recollection though thumbup2.gif

Edited by Vambo57