Yet to start a game - why sign him?

Another signing in the Imrie/Mooy mould, not really first choice for any position, what is he now - 3rd choice RB, 2nd3/rd backup for midfield? If Robertson had stayed presumably he'd have been Goodwin's replacement today but Caprice isn't rated as good as the man he replaced! ph34r.png

Makes you wonder what Danny Lennon/Tommy Craig were doing during his trial period - obviously not assessing him! unsure.png

I think Jason Naismith's breakthrough has gone beyond expectations. I feel your post ignores the credit Craig/Lennon and Longwell are due for preparing Naismith for senior level football. Your point on the signing policy I'd have to agree with, it was a very poor transfer window for us, but the U20's coming through have been very reliable.

You cannot judge anybody on the amount of playtime that Caprice has had. He looked very good when he came on against Hibs at Easter Road, but sincethen I cannot remember him coming on  Too early to judge.

He's Jamie McCluskey & Paul McQuade. He's had opportunities to show and done nothing. He hangs back too deep, throws in a few step overs and that's about it. (There, that should see him prove me wrong now)

He's Jamie McCluskey & Paul McQuade. He's had opportunities to show and done nothing. He hangs back too deep, throws in a few step overs and that's about it. (There, that should see him prove me wrong now)

Said he was the new McCluskey yesterday.happy.png Plenty step overs and no end product. Pace to burn so would probably do ok in our Championship !

Caprice has had no time in the first team to judge him yet! The idiot at the back of w6 how does your abuse of the team or the player help? You pay your money I pay mine and my sons money and when he asks daddy what's wrong with that man. He is 7 and has special needs yet acts older than you.

I wonder if that's the guy I could hear while watching the game on ESPN. Really embarrassing listening to that yesterday. What a nugget.

Its well documented that Saints are believed to be a poor club, unable to pay transfer fees and therefore have to pick up players unwanted by decent teams.To this end, Lennon has fulfilled this belief in his signings - maybe one or two excepted - so no surprise that this player who has been seconded from english lower leagues is unable to cut it in the SPFL. He is in good company mind. I can think of a dozen or so like him who have been signed and vanished without trace.

The point is, how can a club, claiming poverty, persist in allowing the signing of sub standard players and paying them off or freeing them ? Perhaps thats one of the reasons the fans are having to pay extortionate ticket prices.Or perhaps whoever sanctioned these signings should not be in a position to make so many mistakes.

Its well documented that Saints are believed to be a poor club, unable to pay transfer fees and therefore have to pick up players unwanted by decent teams.To this end, Lennon has fulfilled this belief in his signings - maybe one or two excepted - so no surprise that this player who has been seconded from english lower leagues is unable to cut it in the SPFL. He is in good company mind. I can think of a dozen or so like him who have been signed and vanished without trace.

The point is, how can a club, claiming poverty, persist in allowing the signing of sub standard players and paying them off or freeing them ? Perhaps thats one of the reasons the fans are having to pay extortionate ticket prices.Or perhaps whoever sanctioned these signings should not be in a position to make so many mistakes.

So DL has only signed 1 or 2 decent players in 3 seasons. Very clearly you are not a Saints fan and obviously never watch our games. Sure he signs a few who dont cut it but so does every other manager. As you point out given his budget he does OK and at least he realises when he has made a mistake and generally gets them out the door sharpish. Preferable to letting them see out their contract on full wages Im sure you would agree ?

So DL has only signed 1 or 2 decent players in 3 seasons. Very clearly you are not a Saints fan and obviously never watch our games. Sure he signs a few who dont cut it but so does every other manager. As you point out given his budget he does OK and at least he realises when he has made a mistake and generally gets them out the door sharpish. Preferable to letting them see out their contract on full wages Im sure you would agree ?

Why is it clear I`m not a Saints fan and dont go to matches ? If I wasnt a fan why would I bother making a comment.

I dont think he does ok with the budget, quite the reverse, if you had read the post. He has wasted a fortune in paying players not up to it. Anyone can make a few mistakes in the transfer market, this chap has made a career out of it.

every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market - Benitez at Liverpool wasted milliions, Neil Lennon has spent millions on duds this season!

Every signing is a gamble - some times managers get lucky eg Goncalves other times it doesn't work out eg Bahoken.

What I would say is the attitude and performance of the younger players like Naismith and Kelly, make some of DLs summer signings questionable.

With the budget were on of course there will be signings that don't work out! every foreign player, that has no experience in Scottish football is a gamble, bringing players from the lower divisions is a gamble. They guys hes signed, who have had experience in this league, when they signed were pretty much all players that from the outset we thought 'good signing'.

Hopefully with more academy players coming into the first team (and getting new contracts) this will help with attracting young guys to sign for us and stay with us.

every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market - Benitez at Liverpool wasted milliions, Neil Lennon has spent millions on duds this season!

Every signing is a gamble - some times managers get lucky eg Goncalves other times it doesn't work out eg Bahoken.

What I would say is the attitude and performance of the younger players like Naismith and Kelly, make some of DLs summer signings questionable.

why does the attitude and performance of Naismith and Kelly make some of DL's summer signings questionable? Please explain.

Edited by Hambud

I think Jason Naismith's breakthrough has gone beyond expectations. I feel your post ignores the credit Craig/Lennon and Longwell are due for preparing Naismith for senior level football. Your point on the signing policy I'd have to agree with, it was a very poor transfer window for us, but the U20's coming through have been very reliable.

I said at the time of the signing that unless he was going to be first pick RB then it was a pointless signing, that Darren McGregor played there ahead of him when DVZ was on the bench exacerbates this. That he dropped below 19-y-o in the pecking order by November worsens the decision and as I said makes me sure he was a panic signing and questions the value of having him on trial. Finally not being selected to replace Goodwin when he was suspended as I believe John Robertson would've been seals the issue for me.

Confirms my opinion of this transfer.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest somner9

I said at the time of the signing that unless he was going to be first pick RB then it was a pointless signing, that Darren McGregor played there ahead of him when DVZ was on the bench exacerbates this. That he dropped below 19-y-o in the pecking order by November worsens the decision and as I said makes me sure he was a panic signing and questions the value of having him on trial. Finally not being selected to replace Goodwin when he was suspended as I believe John Robertson would've been seals the issue for me.

But he bought him to play mid to front right side

Guest somner9

Ah, the return of Danny Lennon's little moonbeam, you may well be right although the general consensus for the first 171 posts was that although versatile he was principally a Right Back, it doesn't change the fact that he has yet to start a game.

Or change the fact he didnae buy him as a RB

Hi BtB, my opening contribution on this thread was where I said I agreed with you on the signing policy. This is in my reply to your post 'Your point on the signing policy I'd have to agree with, it was a very poor transfer window for us' a line you quoted from me. Your return post is a continuation of the signing policy theme, which I still agree with.

The other point I'd made is that Saints have found stability in the RB position since Jason Naismith got a run and that the management should get some credit for the players introduced to the senior team fro the U20s this season.

I don't know which position Caprice was signed to play in, and I'm certainly not suggesting he's been a good signing. I honestly didn't know what your opinion was at the time, and fair enugh if you thought it wouldn't work out. I do feel your point would be all the better for getting over the 'poor signings, but the U20's have come in a steadied the ship'. Maybe we're at cross purposes, and I don't want to encourage a repeat of your previous pet subject (Dougie Imrie) with another fringe player.